Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent Octopus not linking to Tesla app - workaround!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For people that have newly signed up to Intelligent Octopus and are having trouble linking the Tesla app to the Octopus app to perform a test charge. The problem appears to be with Android phones only. I have a workaround, but you'll need an iPhone.

I've just called Octopus and explained how i did it, so they can pass it on to other struggling users. The issue is with the Android operating system, or the API that connects the two apps. I went and borrowed my neighbours iPhone, logged in to the Tesla and Octopus apps on it, and low and behold, they linked straight away! I performed the test charge and was immediately put straight on to the IO tariff. Then, i logged back into both apps on my own Android phone and everything on was miraculously working! I even tested an overnight scheduled charge on the Octopus app on my Android phone last night and it worked perfectly.

I have asked Octopus to update me when their developers find a bug fix, as it would be nice to keep the Tesla community informed of this which i'm more than happy to do.

For people that have newly signed up to Intelligent Octopus and are having trouble linking the Tesla app to the Octopus app to perform a test charge. The problem appears to be with Android phones only. I have a workaround, but you'll need an iPhone.

I've just called Octopus and explained how i did it, so they can pass it on to other struggling users. The issue is with the Android operating system, or the API that connects the two apps. I went and borrowed my neighbours iPhone, logged in to the Tesla and Octopus apps on it, and low and behold, they linked straight away! I performed the test charge and was immediately put straight on to the IO tariff. Then, i logged back into both apps on my own Android phone and everything on was miraculously working! I even tested an overnight scheduled charge on the Octopus app on my Android phone last night and it worked perfectly.

I have asked Octopus to update me when their developers find a bug fix, as it would be nice to keep the Tesla community informed of this which i'm more than happy to do.
Note: This is a NEW bug. Previous Android/IO users would not have seen this problem.

Thanks for the update very helpful, but when you say log into the apps what does that mean and does the email address need to be the same across both apps I’m trying to understand what is the common factor that links octopus and Tesla to make the test charge work as I’ve tried it six times now, and it keeps failing. Thanks

I found that by skipping the Tesla Key step then beginning a test charge then manually starting the charge myself in Tesla app was sufficient to get IOG to pass its connection test and start scheduling plans. It appears they can still query the car status but appear to get success status back for charge stop/stop commands without those having any effect. Sufficient as a workaround until they sort it.