Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting analysis of Model 3 Reservation holders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sure is true that Tesla goes wider than traditional car makers: I was never interested in cars, yet I'm very interested in Tesla. So thanks for posting - very interesting analysis.

I know there are so many Apple / Tesla comparisons flying around that it is getting old, but the one thing that both companies share is, that "incumbent nerds" look on them with suspicion: Just like many die hard PC fans would tell you they don't like Apple since you can't build your own Apple computer / can't run your own Linux / Windows / whatever on it, a lot of die hard car people will tell you that a Tesla is not a real car since it doesn't smell and doesn't make noise. On the other hand, both Tesla and Apple appeal to those who would like to "just use" their cars/computers and don't want to tinker with their stuff.

Reactions: JenniferQ
The whole PC vs Mac thing is pretty much dead. Some old hard core Apple fans still hold a grudge, but the rest of the world has moved on. And since Apple switched to using Intel processors, Macs can run any OS including Windows or Linux. OS X is built on top of a Unix kernel.

My biggest beef with Apple is I don't think the way they do and if you don't think the way they want you to think, you're going to get very frustrated. They only allow you one way to do many things and if that isn't the way you'd approach it, you're SOL. I had an Android phone was was unreliable, but very easy to interface to a computer. I set the thing up with a custom ring tone, some wallpaper downloaded form my PC, etc. in less than an hour. After the Android died a premature death, I got an iPhone. Doing the same setup took me 8 hours. I was at it until 3 AM! Every step of the way iOS fought me. What was intuitive to me it wouldn't do it and I had to do a bunch of searching to find the Apple approved way to do it.

Apple does make good hardware though. If you don't like MacOS, you can just blow it away and put Linux of Windows on there. I have a web server that was set up by an Apple fanatic, it's a Mac Mini. After he flaked out and left the job half done I got tired of fighting MacOS and replaced the OS with Linux. It works like a charm.

In any case, Tesla does appeal to a different kind of person than most cars. I'm not a car person at all. My thing as a kid was airplanes and I really didn't care about cars at all. I drive a 24 year old car I bought new. Most people thought I was crazy to buy a Buick in my 20s and most people I know now think it's an old man's car. Which it probably is.

I was probably drawn in by the engineering more than anything else. Tesla has completely rethought the car and come up with something truly amazing.

Interesting article.

Interesting article. I noticed with the "followers" diagrams (@teslamotors vs. @chevyvolt followers) the various colors of the subgroups hardly intermingled with the chevy followers, whereas the tesla followers were very blended into each other. Is there a significance?

I find it interesting because I know three Volt owners/leasers. Only category I see them in are "sustainability" and maybe "Tech Dads". Ok, maybe car fanatics for one of them...

Did they really conflate the Chevy Volt and Bolt? In the first instance, they reference the "2017 Chevy Bolt EV, an attractive electric vehicle with similar range and comparable starting price to the Model 3," but then go on to analyze the Volt. I love the Volt. If it were a BEV I would already have one. It isn't. And the Bolt, to me and my kids, is ugly and not in the same design arena at all as the 3 and Volt.

How much of the x-interest between Tesla and Bolt was scoffing at the idea ?
The data mining offered in this article is quite primitive. Take it with two grains of salt, or for entertainment purposes only.

Actually, take anything based on Twitter with a big LOL