Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting event today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I checked my Tesla app at 7AM this morning as I usually do most mornings getting ready.
I noticed that the house didn't use any electricity from about 1:30AM to 5AM, nor did the batter provided power to the house for that time slot.
Scratch head as app showed correct data from 5AM on. Figured it had to be Internet disruption, no data transmitted.
And no data by cellphone or it would have shown correctly by the time I checked at 7AM, no data lost.
Went down, turned TV on that is connected through Tivo but things didn't look normal. Had to reboot Tivo. This confirmed Internet lost
as it had same symptoms in the past when Internet is lost for a time.

This afternoon I checked app again and it showed data as though nothing happened between 1:30AM and 5AM.
Where did data come from? Must have a data backup someplace.
I also checked power outage history just in case. no power outage.

Unfortunately, I didn't take screenshots. :(

The gateway will buffer (not certain on exactly how long, but at least 4.5 hours based on your experience) until internet is restored. I've experienced internet outages on primary connection, but the gateway switched over to cellular for the duration and data was continuously updated in the app.

I wonder if your gateway cell connection is not great?

Reactions: aesculus
My gateway has no cellular connection due to weak/non-existent signal. After my install I put up a huge stink and tried to get them to switch it to Verizon or install a booster with no luck. If my ISP goes down I have to connect directly to the TEG wifi network to have any visibility into whats going on with the system.

May work in your situation, but I setup a backup internet link using a T-Mobile home internet device. It only costs me $25/month, and when my primary internet goes down, I barely notice it (dual WAN router setup for resiliency). Certainly, it wouldn't be worth it just for Tesla backup, but since I work out of my home, it's a great add-on.

My gateway buffered data during nearly a week long internet outage we had due to an ice storm last winter.

I’ve also seen the reverse happen and data disappear even though it was once there. After a server issue at Tesla in 2021, we lost all historic data in the app before June 2021.
Same here. I had a 5 day internet outage post hurricane/tropical storm, the gateway recovered with all data including the expected behavior of solar going offline when batteries reached full charge.