Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting Observations During Power Outage with Solar and Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Summertime in the Sierra Nevada foothills means frequent power outages. I've made an interesting observation during my last outage.
I have an older 4kW string system and a newer 6kW Enphase IQ7 microinverter system. Last year during power outages when I had 2 Powerwalls and prior to lowering my off-grid frequency shifting from 65 Hz to 62(?) Hz my Powerwalls would get down to about 92% before the solar would start recharging the Powerwalls and then get close to 100% and cycle between these percentages.
I've since added a 3rd Powerwall, lowered my frequency shift to 62(?) Hz, and had some firmware updates. In my most recent outage I observed that my Powerwalls went down to about 96% and then went back up to 98% and stayed there modulating the solar. By modulating I mean the solar generation was going on and off but the Powerwall charge percentage remained at 98%. I suspect I was basically running of my Enphase system since my string system goes offline at the drop of a hat. I was curious to see what happened as the sun set but the power came on at about 4pm so I never got a chance. Don't know what changes made the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: morph3ous
I also have an Enphase system - 35 panels and 2 Powerwalls. I just tested the off-grid mode, and the turnover was seamless. Max freq was 62.4, UPSes did not trigger. Once the Powerwalls got down to 98%, solar cycled in again, keeping Powerwall level 96-98%. Looks like the latest firmware (22.18.3) has it wired (pun intended).