Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting partial remote access failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
About 2 months ago, I had an MCU failure and a new one was installed. Since that time, I have been unable to access several important features through the Tesla iPhone app. Specifically, I am unable to:
  • Unlock doors
  • Open or close the trunk, or
  • Open the frunk
However, I am able to, honk the horn and flash the lights. Yippee! I can also see my odo, and my calendar syncs.

I am on the latest software, did a reboot, logged out and back in of the app, changed my password (a Tesla tech recommended that), deleted the app and reinstalled. Nothing. I am scheduled for a service appointment in a couple of weeks.

Anybody have any other suggestions before I bring her in for an evaluation?

I upgraded to MCU2 a couple of months ago and I just noticed a few days ago that I have the exact same issues you outlined. I was just going to wait for the next update to see if it might fix the issues. My S is a 90D from February 2017.

Post the results of your service appointment if your could.

Reactions: 4SUPER9
An update won't fix it. Tesla forgot to set your car keys when they replaced the MCU. They just need to update them and you will be back in business. And they can do it remotely so you won't have to go in for service.
Interesting, though I am not sure if I understand. My keys work fine. It is my app that is not working. If you could please explain more, I can call them again with this information.

Interesting, though I am not sure if I understand. My keys work fine. It is my app that is not working. If you could please explain more, I can call them again with this information.

The "car keys" is a file on your MCU that allows some app functions to work. It has nothing to do with your fobs.

You should just be able to tell them that some app functions stopped working after the Infotainment Upgrade and that they need to fix it.

Create a service appointment, stating your issue and that you need your MCU Command keys reset. They will push them remotely. Right now, your new MCU was accidentally not given the "keys" to send those commands on the CAN bus, so your car rejects attempts by the MCU (via the App) to do those things.

I just spent over 30 minutes on the phone with them. The best they were able to come up with was for me to reset my Tesla password again. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I really don't want to deal with the first line support tech just reading off a script. I guess telling the tech what MP3Mike and serendipitous said didn't help huh.

I'll set up a service appointment and see if I have better luck, but somehow I doubt it.

Yeah, I really don't want to deal with the first line support tech just reading off a script. I guess telling the tech what MP3Mike and serendipitous said didn't help huh.

I'll set up a service appointment and see if I have better luck, but somehow I doubt it.
Yep, this guy had absolutely no idea how to handle this, and he left me on hold for 10 minutes while “researching” it

You don't want to talk to anyone - it's a service issue not a tech support issue. Create a service appointment in the app. It'll probably be for 2 weeks from now, but don't worry about that. As soon as a service tech sees the ticket and that you point out that you can do everything with the app EXCEPT unlock/drive, and that you need the MCU command keys pushed, they'll know what to do.

Reactions: 4SUPER9 and MP3Mike
You don't want to talk to anyone - it's a service issue not a tech support issue. Create a service appointment in the app. It'll probably be for 2 weeks from now, but don't worry about that. As soon as a service tech sees the ticket and that you point out that you can do everything with the app EXCEPT unlock/drive, and that you need the MCU command keys pushed, they'll know what to do.
Thank you. I updated the info on my appointment. I may call the service center as well.

I updated my service appointment info to include the exact language you described. Low and behold, I received a text message yesterday asking me for permission to push out a fix. That did the trick. All is operational now. Thank you very much!
@dangerbear , please do the same. I hope you get this fixed as easily as I did.