Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interestingly I find regen braking one of my favorite things

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold my volt last week and I must say, driving my ICE to work while I wait for the delivery feels very primitive and wasteful every time I stop.

Twice I had my Volt in for Voltec repairs and was given, first a Camaro and second a Cruze, loaner and between all the constant transmission shifting and lack of regen I was worried I might cause an accident when the cars much preferred to coast rather than slow down despite manually forcing downshifts.

Tesla doesn't have blended braking in the sense that regen is only active if you are pressing the brake pedal. However, hitting the brake pedal does not stop regen (looking at the energy graph while braking), so it does friction brake and max regen at the same time.

If regen is on the brake pedal only, how can you tell when regen maxes out and friction starts?

Tesla doesn't have blended braking in the sense that regen is only active if you are pressing the brake pedal. However, hitting the brake pedal does not stop regen (looking at the energy graph while braking), so it does friction brake and max regen at the same time.

If regen is on the brake pedal only, how can you tell when regen maxes out and friction starts?

I think you may have gotten signals crossed when you made the two statements in red. Regeneration is active when you lift off the throttle without touching the brake pedal. The brake pedal is not used to control the amount of regeneration. The brake pedal controls only the hydraulic (friction) brakes.

So Tesla doesn't not use blended braking. Pffft. The Volt uses regen up to 0.5G and then the friction braking kicks in. If the max regen on the Model 3 is 0.16 then the friction brakes are going to wear much faster on the Model 3 than the Volt. I'm trading my Volt in on the 3D in a couple of weeks and with 44K miles 90% of the brake pads is still there and I have never had an issue with brake dust on the wheels.

Does anyone notice brake dust on their Tesla wheels?

If the max regen on the Model 3 is 0.16 then the friction brakes are going to wear much faster
Not sure where the 0.16 (g?) came from, doesn't seem right. The standard regen on the Model 3 is substantially stronger than the regen on the Prius. In the Tesla, I almost never use the friction brake except lightly when below about 5 mph to complete the stop. I expect the brake pads will last until 100k miles or more.

After driving about 3000 miles in the Model 3 recently, when I drove the Prius this week, it almost felt like I was losing control. How does one get this Prius to slow down? Oh yeah, the other pedal. :rolleyes:

Reactions: APotatoGod
This chart on page 1 of this thread
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 12.42.59 PM.png

Not sure where the 0.16 (g?) came from, doesn't seem right. The standard regen on the Model 3 is substantially stronger than the regen on the Prius. In the Tesla, I almost never use the friction brake except lightly when below about 5 mph to complete the stop. I expect the brake pads will last until 100k miles or more.

After driving about 3000 miles in the Model 3 recently, when I drove the Prius this week, it almost felt like I was losing control. How does one get this Prius to slow down? Oh yeah, the other pedal. :rolleyes:
+1 to this. I had to drive my wife's Prius to the tire shop, and I had the Prius in the "B" mode, which is the highest regen mode, and it was way weird. I'm really loving the regen on the Model 3. I've not driven another EV though, so I don't know what other cars have for regen braking to compare.

Tesla thinks that it is a good idea to use your manual brakes from time to time to keep them functioning properly. The regen takes you from cruising speed down to almost a stop, then you need to press on your brake to make the final stop.

Great comprimise as the brakes still get used enough to keep functioning and the regen does almost all the slowing. Gives you more electrons in the batteries and reduces brake wear to almost nothing.

The reason Tesla's approach makes sense is that when the car is almost stopped, there is very little kinetic energy left to capture so the amount of energy that the regen misses out on with this approach is very little and is traded for getting frequent, very light use of the brakes.

If you start regen at e.g. 40 mph and start braking at walking speed (4 mph), then these last 10% of the speed-reduction due to normal braking loses out on 1% of the kinetic energy.

Btw, having the brake pedal pressed down when you are stopped is a good idea in case you get rear-ended. Then the brakes (and if necessary the body of the car) will absorb the energy of the (mostly inelastic) collision, instead of your neck (in a mostly elastic collision). Here is an explanation of these two types of collisions:

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
something about not pushing the brake hardly and the feeling of saving energy feels really great. I was a coaster in my ICE...
ditto! And when you press the brake gently to bring the car to a halt at a stop light, the hold (H) comes in without any warning message (press the brake hard and the car tells you to brake gently in a more politically correct way, I think). I drove my camry stick-shift (you can't find a ice like that any more) for 175 k (then donated my car) without ever changing brake pads.

Agreed. Two options are not enough. I have driven other EVs and know the range (pun intended) is tweakable.

How about "Coast, Low, Standard and High".

Yes, please! I would be thrilled to have the ability to disable the regenerative braking.

Unless most here, I passionately dislike Tesla's implementation, i.e. the fact that it's mandatory. I loved it on the Bolt (I think it was the Bolt) where I could control it with the paddle, which gave me the option to both coast and use regen. I think that's a far more natural implementation.

An even more natural implementation i.m.o. would be to leave control of it to the brake pedal, but that's surely too old school for Tesla. So how about just an off setting? Pretty please!

Yes, please! I would be thrilled to have the ability to disable the regenerative braking.

Unless most here, I passionately dislike Tesla's implementation, i.e. the fact that it's mandatory. I loved it on the Bolt (I think it was the Bolt) where I could control it with the paddle, which gave me the option to both coast and use regen. I think that's a far more natural implementation.

An even more natural implementation i.m.o. would be to leave control of it to the brake pedal, but that's surely too old school for Tesla. So how about just an off setting? Pretty please!
I think it'd be great to give you the option and all, but I'm also really glad Tesla implemented it the way they did. One pedal driving is such a joy that in no way could be equalled by paddle shifters or going back to hitting the brakes. Sorry to hear it's not for you.

I think it'd be great to give you the option and all, but I'm also really glad Tesla implemented it the way they did. One pedal driving is such a joy that in no way could be equalled by paddle shifters or going back to hitting the brakes. Sorry to hear it's not for you.

I'm not surprised to hear you and everyone else here say this. Most everyone I know in the USA drive very similarly, they're either on the gas or on the brake and it probably comes from having always or mostly driven automatic-trasmission cars. I call that digital (i.e. two-state) driving and it's not smooth enough for my liking.

I started out with old Renault and Citroen beaters and drove exclusively manual-transmission cars until relatively late in life. It sounds a bit counter-intuitive but my perception of smoothness is different when it's something I induce myself (e.g. with clutch action + downshift) vs when the car forces it on me (like regen). I don't like the latter at all.

I know I'm the outlier ... you should see my old 2m+ straight skis and what I can do with them. :)

If it's impossible to actually use regen to fully stop without using the brake, I'd personally like to see the brakes come on when you reach low enough speed and make it one-pedal driving. Most of the time, I just use TACC, and it does that when stopping, so I'd just like to see it all the time. :)

I absolutely love regen braking as well, and wish there was a higher setting. I feel shameful when I have to use the brake pedal at >5mph. :D

The interesting question would be how do my passengers feel about standard regen braking, as I am still getting used to the car and occasionally forget I can’t coast; occasionally the deacceleration, even on standard, can be a bit jarring when unexpectedly activated :D.