Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior view of Tesla Model 3 tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you've ever wondered what the interior view of the original Tesla Model 3 tire looked like (2018 Model 3 Michelins) here it is.
Just had tires replaced at 35,000 miles at Tesla Service Center.

Attachments

• thumbnail-51.jpeg
    thumbnail-51.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 279
  • thumbnail-52.jpeg
    thumbnail-52.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 189
  • thumbnail-53.jpeg
    thumbnail-53.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
So my question is, what is the purpose of the foam liner? Why? What would be the effect without it?
Noise reduction. Not sure how effective it is as I find the MXM4 acoustics to be still quite noisy on certain road surfaces.

Just got rid of those awful tires and put a set of CrossClimate 2s on. Better in every respect and only very slightly noisier. Again depending on road surface. Too soon to tell if there will be a big hit on the range as we have had another cold spell. So far, I suspect the penalty will be pretty minimal.

I couldn't even get up my not very steep driveway with the MXM4s if there was a light covering of snow.

Reactions: afadeev
Noise reduction. Not sure how effective it is as I find the MXM4 acoustics to be still quite noisy on certain road surfaces.

That. in theory.
In practice, it's unclear that it does anything other than mutate the sound frequency/tone, a bit:
1676176522501.png

Two (2) thins are for certain:
  1. Tires with foam cost more $$$
  2. Foam makes it harder/more expensive to fix punctures.
After my first set of factory Micheline PS4S with foam, I switched to non-foam PS4S tires.
No noticeable difference to report, since poor wind noise insulation in Model 3's overwhelms all other noise sources at highway speeds.

Just got rid of those awful tires and put a set of CrossClimate 2s on. Better in every respect and only very slightly noisier. Again depending on road surface. Too soon to tell if there will be a big hit on the range as we have had another cold spell. So far, I suspect the penalty will be pretty minimal.

I couldn't even get up my not very steep driveway with the MXM4s if there was a light covering of snow.
Getting maximum quality tires (in terms of traction, sound, etc.) plays a much bigger role in enjoying your car, then any foam gimmicks.
To find the best tire for your needs and priorities, consider reviewing the TireRack customer feedback ratings matrix below. Pick you tire category, and go from there.

Overall categories here:

Max Performance Summer ratings here:

a

Reactions: rpiotro
We have NO issues regarding interior road noise from our 2018 Tesla Model 3. I often comment to myself how quiet the drive is. I guess if one says
something enough times somebody will begin to believe it to be true. To what purpose I have to ask.

Hi
We recently had a puncture on our relatively new M3P.
Took nearly 4 hours from stopping at side of road to the fitting of a new & very expensive replacement to our irreparable Pirelli 20” special Tesla approved tyre!
The price was ridiculous - $400 for 1 tyre!
When these wear out - I will definitely replace them with non-foam tyres - as I don’t care about the noise.
Might even fit runflats - so that there is less hassle when you get a puncture.
Cheers
Steve

Hi
We recently had a puncture on our relatively new M3P.
Took nearly 4 hours from stopping at side of road to the fitting of a new & very expensive replacement to our irreparable Pirelli 20” special Tesla approved tyre!
The price was ridiculous - $400 for 1 tyre!
When these wear out - I will definitely replace them with non-foam tyres - as I don’t care about the noise.
Might even fit runflats - so that there is less hassle when you get a puncture.
Cheers
Steve
Noooo! Runflats suck in every respect. Rough ride, noisy, ill handling. Head over to my old stomping ground, the Q50 forum to see what they think.

Reactions: afadeev and nsyr
Noooo! Runflats suck in every respect. Rough ride, noisy, ill handling. Head over to my old stomping ground, the Q50 forum to see what they think.
We have them on our BMW X3M40i and have used them on other BMWs since 2008.
They have improved immensely since then and fortunately where we live the roads are well maintained & smooth!
We happily use runflats here and will do so on the Tesla - to avoid the hassle of being stuck for 4 hours with a car that does not come with a spare wheel or jack and is difficult to jack up safely, in any case - due to potential battery damage.
We keep a can of spray in the boot along with the 4 rubber jack pucks - but the puncture we had was caused by a sharp object in the sidewall - so a big hole!

Reactions: zoomer0056