Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intermittent Wiper Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One downside of this very intelligent "AI" driven auto wipers is it relies on the camera sensor contrast, much like the futility of trying to auto focus on a white wall. Today it is drizzling and the sky is totally whiteout, when I am on a stretch of road without anyone in front of me, the intermittent wiper won't turn on or at best very occasionally, enough to be annoying, but as soon as something came into the view like a car driven across, parked in front of a store front, turn and faced a brown fence in view, then it turns on.

My wipers still don't work. Intermittent is non operational. Haven't received an update since October last year or so.
Are you in FSD beta or not? Either way, the Jan updates corrected the issue for the past few months, not perfect but at least working under in certain ways. If you are still in 2023.27.7, you may want to contact Tesla to see why it is not updated.

My wipers still don't work. Intermittent is non operational. Haven't received an update since October last year or so.
You can open a service request for problems with software updates. Since there's an open recall, everyone should be getting an update, FSD or not, meaning getting this fixed would be a zero dollar item. Just be aware that if you go to the current software rev you'll have the 'intermittent in park' problem.

Yep, the intermittent dry wipe while in park is still a problem but it doesn't annoy me as when it is not working in misty conditions. I hardly put it in park until I am ready to exit and go immediately after closing the door.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 2020 Model S. It has the 2023.27.7 software (says its up to date). My wipers only work on the last two settings (slow and fast). The first two settings to not do anything regardless of if auto wipers is on or off. I created a service request but Tesla is telling me the first two settings are for auto wipers which is a Beta feature.

Sounds like others on this thread have posted that their wipers work again after recent software upgrade. I'm hoping this is the case for me as well.

I recently purchased a 2020 Model S. It has the 2023.27.7 software (says its up to date). My wipers only work on the last two settings (slow and fast). The first two settings to not do anything regardless of if auto wipers is on or off. I created a service request but Tesla is telling me the first two settings are for auto wipers which is a Beta feature.

Sounds like others on this thread have posted that their wipers work again after recent software upgrade. I'm hoping this is the case for me as well.

Correct. The auto wipers are not functional on the older software. Even manual intermittent wipers don't work.

Tesla service has no idea what they are talking about as usual.

If you disable Autowipers in the menus, the two intermittent settings should work on that software version. It worked on my car.