Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Car: What to expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

New member here. Picking up my Model S on Friday. I'm extremely excited to be part of the Tesla community and owning my dream car I've wanted for quite sometime now.

It is an inventory car (new) with about 10k miles on it.

I was hoping I could get some advice from you guys on the acceptable condition on an inventory car. What should I push to get replaced if I notice? Scratches? Curb Rash? I'm not sure whether I should be super picky or let a few things slide? Also, what are the major things I should look for and not settle on at any cost.

Thanks in advance for all the help. Looking forward to being a Tesla owner :)

A car with 10,000 miles on it is not a new car. It may be titled as a new car because Tesla has never sold it before, but it’s not a new car. Expect it to look like a used car with 10,000 miles driven by people who didn’t take care of it (service loaner, etc.).

Reactions: Snobun
Wow, a 10K mile Inventory Car?!? That seems very high. Good for you that you’ll get the tax credit.
My advice is to just set expectations ahead of time. Have you asked your OA/DA these questions and told them what’s important to you? You’d know what they’d fix vs deny.
My recent CPO was as close to flawless as it gets, but maybe inventory cars don’t get the same “love”.

Yes, it's high miles but I had been looking at used Tesla's anyway. This worked out even better because I get the tax credit and the inventory car was discounted 35%, which is huge. Just couldn't pass up the deal. And I get a new car warranty.

I'm ready to expect some wear and tear. I was just hoping to find out how much.

My OA hasn't been very helpful. In fact, the entire communication from Tesla during this buying process has sucked.

Let's hope things get better when I have the car.

A car with 10,000 miles on it is not a new car. It may be titled as a new car because Tesla has never sold it before, but it’s not a new car. Expect it to look like a used car with 10,000 miles driven by people who didn’t take care of it (service loaner, etc.).

I bought my P85+ as an inventory loaner car with 8,000 miles on it. It was in 'like new' condition when I picked it up, except for a very small wear mark on the rear seat trim corner (a common wear point). I didn't notice this upon delivery, and once I did, it was too late. I'm sure if I pushed them they would have replaced it, but it was small and in the back and I didn't really care to cause a stink of such a minor issue. Besides that, the car was flawless, including the paint. So there can be very good deals and cars in great shape with "high" mileage for a loaner. No reason to be scared away.

Bought my P100D as an inventory car and it was delivered near perfect. I went and looked at it in advance and gave them a list of what I wanted taken care of cosmetically and it was all done with exception of drivers seat, which they replaced later. Will Tesla it is a very hit or miss experience, just make sure you go over the car and get the DS to agree to remedy all the issues you find prior to transferring the money.

I bought a P90 D as an inventory vehicle in 2016. It had a similar amount of miles/kilometres to yours. There were a few minor cosmetic issues with the car but I didn't really pursue those. But something important I think, is to ensure that your new car warranty and the minimal servicing requirements start from the day it's delivered to you-not the date it was first registered or driven on a public road. For me it added almost 12 months of new manufacturing quality. Good luck you won't be disappointed.