Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not as many Model 3 RWD configurations are available now as a couple of weeks ago. Some of the configurations are duplicates:

View attachment 940238

So either inventory units are selling, or Tesla is no longer producing these models. There's also the possibility that Tesla is simply moving inventory around, but given that the inventory discounts are applied everywhere, I doubt this is the case.

Model Y inventory is stable. 9 configurations across multiple locations.

No inventory discounts on Model S or Model X, except for demo units. Tesla is not in a hurry to clear their most expensive models.
They discounted all these RWD vehicles a couple weeks ago, I guess they found the price point / demand intersection point.

The inventory discount on the Model 3 RWD has been bumped up to $2.5k.

1685990361600.png

If the discount and the return of the $7.5k federal tax credit don't sell these units, I don't know what will. The cheapest Tesla now goes for $30k after federal tax credit. If you qualify for the California rebate, you can get a new Model 3 for $28k + fees and sales tax. These are the cheapest Tesla vehicles in history!

In other news, used inventory is selling like hot cakes. Most Model 3 units I saw on Tesla a couple of weeks ago are now gone. Almost all of them come with EAP or FSD. Looks like people are happy to snatch these upgrades at a discount. Selling used cars is a great way for Tesla to reach the lower price point customers who don’t qualify for the tax rebates and to push EAP/FSD to more customers.

Reactions: navguy12
Looks like a bigger batch of the Model 3 Long Range hit LA over the weekend. Given the current discounts, a Performance costs about the same as a Long Range. Maybe bigger discounts on the Long Range are coming.

1686544964545.png

In other news, the Model Y inventory was sold out. All inventory units are in 'Coming soon' status.

1686545182636.png

So Model Y is selling like hot cakes, while Model 3 is likely going to get further discounts to clear inventory by the end of the quarter. Hope the margins on the Model Y units are large enough to offset the low margins on the discounted inventory Model 3 units.

Or maybe a global price reduction or incentive on the Model 3 is pending? Free supercharging miles?

Perhaps potential buyers are still waiting for clarification on the updated rebate amount, or maybe they are just ignorant of these changes. Otherwise, I don't see why anybody in search of a new sedan would not jump on a $30k Tesla. Maybe we should head to the Advertising thread ...
I think it’s definitely some buyers showing hesistation about the listed models that qualify on IRS website. Is the 3 standard range even listed as qualifying for the entire $7500? Another item to consider is some people won’t pay in even close to 7500 in federal tax in 2023. So their credit is limited to 3100 if they only pay that into federal withholding. Did Elon even explain WHY it qualified suddenly? If I was guaranteed the 7500 and perhaps a 30k price for the vehicle it would be what I would consider a strong value. I’d drive the car for 7 years and then sell it probably for 15k leaving a cost to drive or 178 a month (excluding taxes interest if you finance) which is nothing. Last but not least savvy buyers may be waiting til the last week of the quarter to get the sweetest deal of all.

Reactions: Hiline
Looks like a bigger batch of the Model 3 Long Range hit LA over the weekend. Given the current discounts, a Performance costs about the same as a Long Range. Maybe bigger discounts on the Long Range are coming.

View attachment 946094

In other news, the Model Y inventory was sold out. All inventory units are in 'Coming soon' status.

View attachment 946097

So Model Y is selling like hot cakes, while Model 3 is likely going to get further discounts to clear inventory by the end of the quarter. Hope the margins on the Model Y units are large enough to offset the low margins on the discounted inventory Model 3 units.

Or maybe a global price reduction or incentive on the Model 3 is pending? Free supercharging miles?
They show 27 Ys and 50 3s in south TX. No 3 LRs, only SR at 2500-ish discount and P at 3300-ish. Only 5 of the Ys are discounted, and only ~500 bucks.

I think it’s definitely some buyers showing hesistation about the listed models that qualify on IRS website. Is the 3 standard range even listed as qualifying for the entire $7500? Another item to consider is some people won’t pay in even close to 7500 in federal tax in 2023. So their credit is limited to 3100 if they only pay that into federal withholding. Did Elon even explain WHY it qualified suddenly? If I was guaranteed the 7500 and perhaps a 30k price for the vehicle it would be what I would consider a strong value. I’d drive the car for 7 years and then sell it probably for 15k leaving a cost to drive or 178 a month (excluding taxes interest if you finance) which is nothing. Last but not least savvy buyers may be waiting til the last week of the quarter to get the sweetest deal of all.
Indeed.

1686602659533.png

Not sure if Tesla offered any special discount on the Model 3 SR at the end of Q1. Inventory buildup is relatively new for the US market. If I were a buyer though, I'd wait till the last week of the quarter as you said. So let's watch inventory movement in the next couple of weeks.

They show 27 Ys and 50 3s in south TX. No 3 LRs, only SR at 2500-ish discount and P at 3300-ish. Only 5 of the Ys are discounted, and only ~500 bucks.

Hmm more Model Y inventory than I'd expect. The one Model Y configuration in LA that's available also has a $500 discount. I think the Model Y units will sell out nationwide for sure, but pushing the Model 3 units out will be much more difficult. Maybe some additional incentive in the very last week will help.

The newest offer to move the old 3’s is laughable. Tesla raised the discounted price by $250 and claimed to offer 3 months of supercharging. This is basically a switcheroo of value to get net zero of value. We now know Tesla accountants value charging at $83 a month lol. This won’t move cars

The newest offer to move the old 3’s is laughable. Tesla raised the discounted price by $250 and claimed to offer 3 months of supercharging. This is basically a switcheroo of value to get net zero of value. We now know Tesla accountants value charging at $83 a month lol. This won’t move cars
IMHO these are all just experiments. Most are too small to meaningfully change total sales, but by studying the effect of small perturbations they can learn what type of promotions generate the biggest response.

I think the wild price gyrations of the past 12-18 months produced blowback, so they're looking for more ways to change the transaction price without constantly changing the headline price. That's one advantage of legacy's dealer/MSRP model. Maybe the only advantage, ha.

They've also done some weird things with leasing lately. The premium Euro brands do a lot of backdoor discounting via leases, so I think Tesla is experimenting with that as well.

IMHO these are all just experiments. Most are too small to meaningfully change total sales, but by studying the effect of small perturbations they can learn what type of promotions generate the biggest response.

I think the wild price gyrations of the past 12-18 months produced blowback, so they're looking for more ways to change the transaction price without constantly changing the headline price. That's one advantage of legacy's dealer/MSRP model. Maybe the only advantage, ha.

They've also done some weird things with leasing lately. The premium Euro brands do a lot of backdoor discounting via leases, so I think Tesla is experimenting with that as well.
Leasing these is so funny especially the base 3. It’s like 16k+ to drive the car for 3 years. You could literally buy the car and drive it for 7 years and come out with the same out of pocket

The Model 3 LR discount has been bumped up from $500 to around $1,500.

1688004530022.png

The Model 3 SR discount, on the other hand, has been cut from $2,500 to around $2,200. It doesn't look like Tesla has been clearing inventory though; there are a lot of configurations available in LA.

1688004659278.png

The discount on the Model Y has stayed the same at $500.

1688004842330.png

The Model Y inventory has grown tremendously in the past couple of weeks. There are now 30 configurations available in LA.

There is likely going to be a larger gap between production and delivery this quarter than in past quarters.

Below are a couple of charts to help illuminate Tesla's 'inventory/transit' position as of end Q2.

Separately from this industry standard 'days of inventory' articulation of vehicles in inventory/transit, the raw numbers that I am estimating based on historic production/delivery reports are:
3/Y: 90,188 at end of Q2, up from 76,892 at end of Q1
S/X: 14,991 at end of Q2, up from 14,727 at end of Q1

View attachment 953158

View attachment 953159

I don't read too much into these as I'm sure many factors such as distribution channels to new markets and localized vehicle factories affect these values. However, I think it is useful to have a factual sense of the current inventory picture in raw and relative terms, as there is always so much spin/FUD to try to spin them to paint a certain narrative.

There are three clear effects on Inventory levels for Tesla that are definitely coming:
1. As we near post-wave DOH will increase because the sales will be more nearly even on reporting periods.
2. As production levels rise we tend towards more deliveries from inventory and less build-to-order. That is already happening so DOH will readily rise during the coming questers.
3. As Tesla grows the accessibility of fast shipping will reduce, not least because Tesla is consciously trying to avoid expedited shipping for multiple reasons, among them expedited shipping costs, staff quarterly burnout, and lack of enough shipping capacity for a quarterly rush.

The effect of these three is still emerging but I expect to see inventory DOH to steadily rise during the next few quarters, probably settling around 50 days or so, possibly taking until Monterrey and other production facilities start delivering much less expensive vehicles, and sales momentum shifts towards inventory rather than custom orders.

These developments should be welcomed because they will increase margins, decrease buyer reluctance and improve workforce stability. Of course there are other factors, chief among them that the cash conversion cycle will slow its blistering pace. Given everything that last is not a hard price to pay.

The flattening of the $TSLA delivery wave began in Q3 '22. The diff between Production and Deliveries peaked in Q4 at 34.4k. Since then the diff is declining.I expect the Q3 '23 gap to be about 10k and perhaps we see a steady state of 6k-8k gap from there forward.
This is both informative and accurate, on a steady state basis. The discrepancy between my view and this one is predicted on the impact of Cybertruck being produced in a single factory for some years with wide distribution, albeit only is large pickup truck markets, the continuing expansion of countries served by exports including Monterrey serving all of South America and otter's coming. Those will all end out being optimized but there will still be inventory build to support new distribution.

The largest single factor by far really has just begun. That is the evolving transition to a mix of building-to-order and sales from inventory. As that grows so too, by definition, will inventory to make those sales. That is distinctly different than past history and is NOT a problem. It is a consequence of massive growth in sales volume which makes it more efficient to have some inventory than to ship only on order.

I have zero argument with @The Accountant analysis, on a steady state basis. Tesla has thrived without consistently maintaining store inventories for reasons we all understand. As volumes pass to levels that allow broader distribution in existing markets and entering smaller and/or more remote markets the underlying supply equations change. If my perspective is incorrect then there may never be any material change in global DOH. FWIW, despite my views I think it to be very unlikely that anything approaching traditional OEM inventory levels will ever happen. Why? Because the Tesla approach to equipment levels, software upgrades and model mix will always have many fewer mixed variants than do traditional OEMs. A substantial part of traditional OEM inventory levels is the multiplicity of distinct hard-wired models, so necessitating large inventories made up of many models. Check any major OEM in detail and you'll find quite a few models with 180days or more and other models with only a few days. That will not happen with Tesla.