Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inventory Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that the delivery-production gap narrowed last quarter when inventory on display clearly ballooned. Is this because:
1. This inventory growth was specific to the US? Are other markets not growing inventory?
2. A huge number of vehicles were in transit at the end of March and finally hit delivery center inventory in early April, and for the rest of the quarter Tesla sold all cars it produced, with few units in transit at the end of June? I did see an alarming amount of Model 3 SR inventory just before the April 18th IRA credit reduction.
3. Something else I couldn’t think of?

Total inventory grew by 13.5k in Q2, to 108k+. We don't have China numbers yet (looks flattish) and we'll never have US, Europe or ROW numbers so we can't know the split. Nor will we ever know the split between "in transit" to fill existing orders and true unsold inventory.

The bigger issue is what inventory Tesla chooses to display. In the past they hid most/all inventory. A "custom order" would come along sooner or later and get matched to any unsold cars (perhaps after a wheel swap or s/w tweak). At EOQ they'd reach out directly to people with orders that couldn't be filled by the stroke of midnight and offer the chance to switch to a slightly different configuration.

Lately they've been showing more inventory, and experimenting with discounts to get people to pull the trigger. That's much more labor-efficient than all the manual calling and wheel swapping and such. It also brings in a new group of buyers who can't or won't wait 2-6 weeks (or more) for a car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hiline and navguy12
The Model 3 RWD is now discounted by $4k. Wonder if this is the bottom price for a new Tesla.

BB5D4A4E-B2DF-4B82-9AE4-B5993B429C42.jpeg

On the other hand, there is no longer a discount on an inventory Model Y!

Wow it's like inventory evaporated overnight. The Model 3 RWD is basically gone. Last night when I checked there were some Model 3 units listed at $40k. At this moment, there's one demo vehicle and that's it.

View attachment 963570
Maybe they are going to sell them all to HERTZ since Highland will be here soon enough? And the HERTZ pricing is probably already contractually locked in? Just a thought.

Reactions: Doggydogworld