Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inverter Shutting Down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a ticket in with Tesla but the first person I talked to didn't seem to know if this was even an issue. Waiting to hear back.

Whenever there's a drop in sunlight the inverter goes into night mode and stays there for like 30 minutes.

So, if a stray cloud passes in front of the sun for 5 seconds and then moves on. My inverter shuts down for 30 minutes and then comes back like nothing happened.

So, yesterday was very sunny and late in the afternoon we had some high faint clouds start to roll in.

I have a Delta M4 inverter and it was the first time our installers had installed it. Had to come back a couple of times to fix the 2.7kWh cap but they took care of that without me asking.

View attachment 539385
Hi there, did you ever get this issue fixed? Thanks for starting the post :)

What version of firmware do you guys have on your M8?

On my M8:
System - 3.1.7
Power - 1.5.9
Safety - 1.5.1
I'm on an M4.

System 3.1.7
Power 1.5.8
Safety 1.5.1

My app shows I have the latest firmware but who know what that actually means. It did show I needed an update when I first had it installed and they did do an update a few months later.

I think the issue is with the safety firmware since the MCI is part of the Rapid Shutdown.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Interesting ... for my solar roof, I have a Delta M8-TL-US inverter and M Professional shows:

System: 3.1.8
Power: N/A
Safety: N/A

I have not observed the shutdown issue others have mentioned here.
From what I've gathered solar roof uses different MCIs than the solar panels do and is likely why the problem doesn't exist for solar roofs. At least I haven't heard or anyone with a solar roof having this problem.

• Informative
Reactions: trautmane2
Hey all - been searching the interwebs for a solution myself, just had my 13kw system with two M8s commissioned. Same problem, one inverter will shutdown during production and reset itself. Also noticing that same inverter will not power up in the morning despite getting irradiance. I'll have to flip both DC disconnects to reset the inverters in order for this to operate. Put in a ticket with Tesla, will report back if they do anything.

Same issue here. M10 Delta, new Tesla installation. I updated software via the M Professional app to 3.1.8 (system), 1.5.8 (power) and 1.5.1 (safety). The inverter shuts down at the slightest shadow, stays there for 10-20 minutes.

The app shows error(1) arc fault, but given that it clearly happens due to shadow from clouds I don't believe it's an actual arc fault.

On full sunny days it's perfect. Anything less than full sun and it's a joke.

Same issue here. M10 Delta, new Tesla installation. I updated software via the M Professional app to 3.1.8 (system), 1.5.8 (power) and 1.5.1 (safety). The inverter shuts down at the slightest shadow, stays there for 10-20 minutes.

The app shows error(1) arc fault, but given that it clearly happens due to shadow from clouds I don't believe it's an actual arc fault.

On full sunny days it's perfect. Anything less than full sun and it's a joke.
Do you have panels or solar roof? Just wondering. I think it's exclusively a panel problem but I don't have enough data yet.

Regardless, please call them and tell them to fix it ASAP. I've been dealing with this for over a year now. I can't believe a firmware fix is actually in the works. The only solutions I know is to replace the MCI with a standalone RSD device or replace the inverters with a different brand and swap out MCIs.

Do you have panels or solar roof? Just wondering. I think it's exclusively a panel problem but I don't have enough data yet.

Regardless, please call them and tell them to fix it ASAP. I've been dealing with this for over a year now. I can't believe a firmware fix is actually in the works. The only solutions I know is to replace the MCI with a standalone RSD device or replace the inverters with a different brand and swap out MCIs.
I have panels (the 12kw system, 36 QCell panels).

This was my Delta M4 with 3.1.2 FW back on May 2nd

Screenshot_20210504-144921_M Professional.jpg

And it was updated by Tesla 5/4 with 3.1.8

Screenshot_20210519-102646_M Professional.jpg

I still have a long way to go to get what is supposed to be a 5.25 kW system (split 2 kW SE and 5.25 kW NW) to get anywhere close to what it should put out.

I do have some shading that I need to deal with. Tree trimmers coming next week. At some point (statistics won't show when) it has produced a reasonable amount.

Screenshot_20210523-141718_M Professional.jpg

This was my Delta M4 with 3.1.2 FW back on May 2nd

View attachment 665394

And it was updated by Tesla 5/4 with 3.1.8

View attachment 665395

I still have a long way to go to get what is supposed to be a 5.25 kW system (split 2 kW SE and 5.25 kW NW) to get anywhere close to what it should put out.

I do have some shading that I need to deal with. Tree trimmers coming next week. At some point (statistics won't show when) it has produced a reasonable amount.

View attachment 665397
Should put out? That is a real tough call.

Sure that can be a can of worms. But there are circumstances (like this is the perfect time of the year) where it should be more than 30% of ideal at the maximum exposure time.

I am not sure when those maximums were recorded in the last 4 months but it was not in the last 30 days for sure.
30% more than ideal? What is ideal? I have never gotten close to the specs of my panels.

Wanna report back to this thread:

I had similar issue on my system (see previous post) but on top of that, my PW was not powering my house reliably during peak hours. When I logged in to my inverter I can see L1 over voltage or similar error before the inverter shutdown.

Tesla found something wrong with my incoming utility voltage and PGE found I had a faulty neutral.

Ever since they fixed it I haven't seen the inverter shutdown again. And my inverter FW is 3.1.7, it is older than what some of you have on your inverters..... So maybe a 3.1.8 problem? I wonder if it is possible to download older version FW to give it a try.