Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS app making charge level recommendations now (4.23.2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The iOS app is starting to recommend daily SOC levels. When you drag the charging up to 90 on mine, it says in a green tip area that it recommends 80 percent for daily. Anyone else getting this now? Model Yp here

image.png

I just got 2023.26.1 on my wifes model Y (performance) and checked this, and its there for us as well, same as in your screenshot. This is the first time I remember Tesla itself recommending any specific charge level in an official capacity other than for LFP model 3s (charge to 100% at least once a week recommendation from tesla there) and "anywhere between 50% and 90% for daily use" every other model 3 / Y previously.

Reactions: Spinkick
The iOS app (4.23.2) is recommending "90% recommended for daily driving" for my Palladium Model X, software 2023.7.20. I usually charge lower than that.

On my Model S 85D, software 2022.8.10.12, there's no charge level recommendation at all.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Strange, I wonder if its based on driving habits or some other statistics?

I dont know...'

FWIW, We purchased my wifes model Y in March of 2022 (so its 16 months old) and we have just over 3,000 miles on it right now. I say that to describe how much its driven. My wife is not working outside the home, and uses her car to run errands around town.

I charge her car to 60-70% normally, and have done so for at least the last 12 months.

Today I noticed that my Tesla app recommended an 80% limit on daily charging instead of 90%. I just thought that was interesting since there's always been this 20-80% narrative that Tesla seemed to contradict in their 90% recommendations. I have been charging primarily to 80% in the short time I've owned my Tesla Model Y LR, but have charged to 90% for a few days. I guess this is a change of guidance that impacts all 2023 Model Y LR owners?

Seems the 3/Y is recommended to 80% and the S/X is recommended to 90% for daily driving.

Possibly different BMS and batteries behind this?
The recommendations don't appear to be as simple as that. My app (4.23.2) shows the 90% recommendation for my 2018 Model 3 LR (on 2023.7.20).

If there are differences between models it would likely be because of variations in battery chemistry (not BMS nor driving habits).

The recommendations don't appear to be as simple as that. My app (4.23.2) shows the 90% recommendation for my 2018 Model 3 LR (on 2023.7.20).

If there are differences between models it would likely be because of variations in battery chemistry (not BMS nor driving habits).
I wonder they recommend 90% for older cars which may have less range and 80% for newer cars.

My 2022 Model 3 LR says 80% if I move the slider past 80. But I usually charge to 50%.

2018 Model 3, LR RWD. 54k miles. 2023.20.9

App recommends 90% when slider moved above 90%.

My charging habits are typically charge to 70% and plug in once or twice a week when SOC drops below 50% or so. I charge to 90% at least once every month or two before longer trips. Full charge shows 304 miles. (Was 310 new, 325 for a short time when they increased the range, and dropped to around 300 by the time my mileage reached about 40k. This past year or so a full charge is always around 298-304 degradation now is VERY slow). Note: I very rarely actually charge to 100%, I extrapolate the 100% range by dividing displayed range by displayed SOC. Temperate climate (SF Bay Area) and always garaged.

I got my MYLR late March and app has always recommended 90%. Yesterday I installed 2023.26.1 and today I see the app recommendation is 80%. I doubt the recommendation varies but it's possible. You would think they would explain that point in the owner's manual or somewhere, if it is true. Release notes say the update adds 'charge on solar' and other 'minor fixes - improvements and bug fixes. I've seen multiple reports of battery failure and replacement during warranty period that they covered. Maybe they've determined there's less stress on batter if we only go to 80% daily.

Maybe they've determined there's less stress on batter if we only go to 80% daily.
There’s solid evidence that lower is better, so yes 80% is better than 90%. But they have to balance battery health with potential warranty claims as well as consumer expectations and convenience.

55% or less is best based on test data posted by @AAKEE in many many threads. But if they told everyone they should ideally charge to 50% daily then the media and anti EV pundits would have a field day saying EVs are useless, when in reality 50% is more than enough for most people as long as they can charge at home or work daily.

Hello All,

After Tesla's most recent software release my 2022 Model Y Long Range now shows a daily charge limit of 80% and 80%-100% should be used for trips only.

I have had the car for roughly one year and up until the latest software release, the car stated 90% was ok for daily charging and 90%-100% was reserved for trips only.

Has anyone else seen this on their car? Odd that for one year 90% charging was ok, but now 80% is the new daily charge limit. Thank you very much in advance.

I think you're overthinking it. 10% here or there will not make a difference in the overall life expectancy or degradation of your battery pack. Tesla is already on record saying that manufacturing differences in the chemistry play far more of a role most likely than anything we can do as users even in extreme hard-use cases. Just the fact that you are aware there is either an 80% and 90% and apply either one will make you ahead of the hard-use cases that have also proven to get hundreds of thousands of miles w/o issue. The failures you read about are largely attributed to variances in manufacturing and source material or chemistry balances than anything the end-user has done.

Just choose 80 oo 90% and go about your life. These cars are dead simple if you let them be.

FYI, it's not just the iOS app making the charging recommendations.

If you go into the car and look at the charging screen when it's plugged in, the slider no longer says 90% to 100% for trip, the slider has changed to 80%-100% for trip.

Match 2021 Model 3 LR here. I didn't get a recommendation in the app until after I set it over 90, at which point it said "90% recommended for daily driving". For most of the car's life I've charged to 80, but a couple months ago I changed that to 70. 70 is plenty.