Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app recommending charge level now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't recall seeing this message regarding "recommended for daily driving charge to 80% before"? My app version is 4.23.6-1844. Has this been a thing and I missed it? I know there is a TON of discussion regarding battery charging but all the literature I recall seeing from Tesla regarding this battery pack was 80-90% daily was okay.
Screenshot_20230818-085834.png

Reactions: baguette
Yes its new. Also, the new charging screen shows daily as 80% where it used to be 90%. Seems like Tesla is taking, at least in part, the advice from TMC to reduce daily SOC.

There are a few different threads around TMC on this, as you likely know (saying this for OP). The (slightly) interesting thing to me on this, is that my 2018 Model 3 Performance has a recommendation in the Tesla app of 90%, while my wifes 2022 Model Y performance has a recommendation in the Tesla app of 80%.

Im not the only one who has noticed that, either. Im not sure what the driver here is from Tesla. My wifes model Y is usually charged to somewhere between 60-70% by us, for example.

I'm guessing it's a CYA for Tesla so they don't have to do a lot of warrantied battery replacements.

They, of all companies, have the most amount of data of anyone out there. They know their entire fleets battery histories and have likely learned a lot over the past decade.

I'll bet they did an analysis of older vehicles, their average daily charge limits and resulting degradation to come up with the new recommendation. They didn't do it for fun.

I'm guessing it's a CYA for Tesla so they don't have to do a lot of warrantied battery replacements.

They, of all companies, have the most amount of data of anyone out there. They know their entire fleets battery histories and have likely learned a lot over the past decade.

I'll bet they did an analysis of older vehicles, their average daily charge limits and resulting degradation to come up with the new recommendation. They didn't do it for fun.

I would agree they didnt do it for fun. My thought is that its more likely they are protecting themselves from people who regularly charge to 100% with non LFP batteries, like people who are using the car as an uber / taxi etc, and charging to 100% all the time because "there is a battery degradation warranty so might as well".

These type of things usually fall into that " this is why we cant have nice things" category, from a relative few people "doing stuff" that causes a company to make policy changes to protect themselves from more people doing that same stuff.

There are a few different threads around TMC on this, as you likely know (saying this for OP). The (slightly) interesting thing to me on this, is that my 2018 Model 3 Performance has a recommendation in the Tesla app of 90%, while my wifes 2022 Model Y performance has a recommendation in the Tesla app of 80%.

Im not the only one who has noticed that, either. Im not sure what the driver here is from Tesla. My wifes model Y is usually charged to somewhere between 60-70% by us, for example.

That‘s interesting…my 2018 model 3 performance has a recommendation of 80%.

I would agree they didnt do it for fun. My thought is that its more likely they are protecting themselves from people who regularly charge to 100% with non LFP batteries, like people who are using the car as an uber / taxi etc, and charging to 100% all the time because "there is a battery degradation warranty so might as well".

In all fairness, battery warranty is no way mandates any particular charging cycle max limits.
For that matter, Tesla has been vague and contradictory on the subject of recommended charging max/min levels from day 1. There is entire sub-forum on that subject:

These type of things usually fall into that " this is why we cant have nice things" category, from a relative few people "doing stuff" that causes a company to make policy changes to protect themselves from more people doing that same stuff.

Personally, I had set my charge limit to 85% over the past 4.5 years. Mostly based on internet "wisdom", the average of prior ambiguous messaging from Tesla, and LiOn maintenance advise from other EV OEMs.

Saying folks charging to 100% frequently are somehow to blame for the rest of us not "having nice things" is highly problematic.
If Tesla had publicly come out warning of the dangers of charging to 100%, or set a soft limit below 100% SOC (as some OEMs do) to preserve the battery, or published the data on battery degradation vs. charging SOC levels, that would be one thing.
But Tesla has always wanted to have the cake and eat it too - advertise longer max ranges for its cares (possible only at 100% SOC), yet warn you from doing so to extend the battery lifespan. So now they added 80% SOC warning to the app. Maybe its accurate, maybe it's just an excuse to deny battery warranties down the road.

Either way, communication quality and quantity coming out of Tesla on the subject of recommended SOC has been crap.

a

P.S.: And if you publicly question or merely document Tesla's handling of battery range complaints, our faux-free speech defender Elon will censor you from Twitter/X in retaliation:

Last edited:
Reactions: Birdsfan
I wonder if the difference between you and @jjrandorin is software version.

Maybe. My model 3 is on FSDb (even though I didnt ask for it, didnt push any button for it, and have been repeatedly emailing Tesla (for months now) to take me out of FSD B and put me back in FSD, which has gone on deaf ears so far.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Likely because of all the LFP docs saying 100 at least once a week, and those without LFP not understanding. And that LFP may be or have been in M3 only short production runs, or is ending soon.