Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone 12 Pro Max and charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for trying. I saw some youtube video indicated 12 promax with a leather case might not fit into the wireless charge board very well. Did you find it difficult?

It sits ok. One finger of room on top.

Attachments

• D22F930C-F835-4734-A4F7-1716F5A87807.jpeg
    D22F930C-F835-4734-A4F7-1716F5A87807.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 33C4C5C0-3559-4708-88BA-E11EA6C2271D.jpeg
    33C4C5C0-3559-4708-88BA-E11EA6C2271D.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 190
Yeah, that is a shame. I am thinking to get that little white megasafe charger to put on the wireless charge bonard, I know how dumb it sounds and un-sexy for the appearance but I don't see any other way around
It is a tough situation. Buy a nice car, but newest phone and hack to charge it. I am trying a cup holder mount and charger. It will not only charge the phone but also make the screen visible for using other services like waze

That is really encouraging to know, as I am thinking to get an iphone12 pro max too. My VIN is 61xxx, what is your VIN range? Just hope there is no substantial change for the wireless charging board in between...

57,xxx.

If I get the case to slip into the lower notch of the charging pad it will occasionally give me the green charging light. It doesn’t stay connected though. Any little movement and the connection is gone. Since the connection is so slight, I doubt it’s charging at a regular rate.

57,xxx.

If I get the case to slip into the lower notch of the charging pad it will occasionally give me the green charging light. It doesn’t stay connected though. Any little movement and the connection is gone. Since the connection is so slight, I doubt it’s charging at a regular rate.

I guess this is because the Qi wireless charge coil beneath the board is placed just a bit downwards, or something like that. I am wondering if Tesla would do anything by the service request via the App, I mean all they have to do is to adjust the coil upward a little bit to position it better. But Tesla can always claim this is a problem with Apple, not caused by Tesla, etc.

Anyone know if this spacer from Jeda will work to give more room to the stock wireless charger?

Jeda Products | Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Spacer for Wired Charging

EDIT: Actually, my phone sits as far down as it can and I don't think this would make the position any lower.. Probably won't be a fix.

I couldn’t get my 12 Pro Max to charge either with the Apple leather case, but after I added this 3D printed spacer it worked, so depending on what case you have, I would guess the Jeda spacer would work too. Does your phone charge on the mat with no case?

On my first trip with the spacer I had a few short disconnects so I ordered a Taptes mat, but I drove around 100 miles yesterday with the OE mat plus the 3D printed spacer and it worked perfectly. No disconnects and in the last half hour of the trip I was running Waze with the screen on and still the charge went from around 65 to 70%, with my wife’s iPhone X charging on the passenger side.

Looks great! Please post back if it works. Saw one of the reviewers on Amazon wrote this: “*Note: This product is only for pre-October 2020-build Model 3s. The latest generation Model 3 has a built-in wireless charging pad and this product will not work it*”

I am assuming that response is due to the fact he is not aware you would have to remove the built in charger plate and replace it with this one.

Picked up my new MY today (VIN 705XX) and my iphone 12 mini would not shared either in the apple MagSafe case, or without a case. The Tesla rep I called over said they were aware of the problem of iphone 12s not charging on the wireless pad and were “working on it”.

Oddly, one time today when I put the phone down on the charger it did charge. But I couldn’t replicate it when I tried again. So hopefully it’s something they can fix with an update.

Anyone get iPhone 12 Pro max to sync contacts and actually get text messages?? I don't seem to see it as an option on the iPhone anymore to allow.

Contacts/texts worked for my iPhone 12 mini. But not automatically. You do have to go into your iPhone Bluetooth settings info button for the connection with the Tesla and allow it to be shared. The Tesla in-car screen gave me the instructions on how to do that when I was setting up my phone Bluetooth connection.