Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone + Bluetooth + Text Message alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to put a deposit on a MS; however, am wondering what happens if you receive a text message while driving and your phone is paired to the car.

- Some cars I've had will do nothing - the phone itself won't make a sound either because it's paired to bluetooth.
- My current car (GS350) will pop up a message on the screen saying I have a new message and will read it to me
- Some will play a noise through the car speakers.

What does the MS do?

The current software when paired bluetooth makes the system just become a speaker. Whatever noise your phone makes the sound system will make including sound notification. Outside of phone and calendar there is no functionality. If you have a text to voice application it will read you the messages.

As @Vince Cobelo suggests, there are workarounds, but MS does not have an integrated SMS/Email handling environment like Lexus (and other mfgrs) have had for years. My 2013 RX450h which I sold when my MS arrived last October, also had the functionality you're used to in your GS. The lower half of THIS POST may be of assistance with some of the lacking Infotainment functionality you can expect.