Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone X Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on 11.2 I tested my older iPhone 6 same issue
called Tesla and they had no idea other than have me clean out Trip, and Navigation History(no idea why)
and I promise my volume is up!
If you’re having the same issue on 2 different phones, it suggests to me that the car is the issue. If I we’re you, I’d call your local service center and make an appointment. Could be a hardware or software issue that they can resolve. At least it puts the ball in their court.

Long message - sorry.

@Daniellane - It’s both. The output is “lower volume” and the microphone is muffled.

@BigMskiman - Progress, indeed...but seem to have uncovered an issue. Tried on two Model Xs already. Need others to see if they can replicate as well:

@All - If you have a Tesla, iPhone X and AirPods, please do the following:

1. Use your AirPods with your iPhone X (make a call)
2. Now with your AirPods back in the case, try making a call from your Tesla with your iPhone X

If my theory is correct, your speaker output (for the phone call will be lower volume) and your voice will “crackle” when your face is looking in different directions. Grateful if people can report if they get the same issue.

To Solve: Go to settings, Bluetooth, switch it off for 10 seconds and switch it back on - and your Tesla Bluetooth (both input and output will then work fine).

Per above, am able to replicate this exact thing on two Tesla’s with different iPhone Xs, and different AirPods - and trying to see if we can widen the sample.

Issue does not occur with AirPods and an iPhone 7 with a Tesla. Issue also does not occur with AirPods, iPhone X and a Merc.

Clearly a software issue. What I dont know is if its an issue on the Tesla side, or the iPhone side...

Yes - I have rebooted the Teslas to see if the issue goes away. I can replicate following same steps above even after a re-boot on both cars.

• Informative
Reactions: skitown
Long message - sorry.

@Daniellane - It’s both. The output is “lower volume” and the microphone is muffled.

@BigMskiman - Progress, indeed...but seem to have uncovered an issue. Tried on two Model Xs already. Need others to see if they can replicate as well:

@All - If you have a Tesla, iPhone X and AirPods, please do the following:

1. Use your AirPods with your iPhone X (make a call)
2. Now with your AirPods back in the case, try making a call from your Tesla with your iPhone X

If my theory is correct, your speaker output (for the phone call will be lower volume) and your voice will “crackle” when your face is looking in different directions. Grateful if people can report if they get the same issue.

To Solve: Go to settings, Bluetooth, switch it off for 10 seconds and switch it back on - and your Tesla Bluetooth (both input and output will then work fine).

Per above, am able to replicate this exact thing on two Tesla’s with different iPhone Xs, and different AirPods - and trying to see if we can widen the sample.

Issue does not occur with AirPods and an iPhone 7 with a Tesla. Issue also does not occur with AirPods, iPhone X and a Merc.

Clearly a software issue. What I dont know is if its an issue on the Tesla side, or the iPhone side...

Yes - I have rebooted the Teslas to see if the issue goes away. I can replicate following same steps above even after a re-boot on both cars.
Another option is to try swiping down from the upper right (just right of the notch)
Then tap the upper right corner of the player box (radiating arcs). Then select Tesla...
FC33B894-516D-4DEB-8787-FC0114CD7442.png

85DCEDC1-5434-4CA0-A565-E39109B30F08.jpeg

Wierd
Never had any issue with iPhoneX on my AP2 MS.
Driving a loaner X 100D today with 500 miles on it. And I am experiencing same issue as others had described. So likely AP2.5 hardware and/or iOS 11.2.1 which I updated to today from 11.2.
Perhaps AP2.5 has updated Bluetooth hardware and that’s the root of the issue.
Another wierd clue is that I can hear all the key clicking over the Tesla speakers as I am typing. That’s new?

I am on 11.2 - not 11.2.1. I did reset the screen - and it did not work (albeit on 11.2). Yes - I do get the rapid touch tone and then silence (although had not noticed till today)....so don’t know if its new - of just unnoticed...

Anyway - let me try 11.2.1 and a screen reset and report back. Probably tomorrow now that I do further testing.