Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 255/40/18 a good street tire size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is for my 2018 RWD LR.
It will be about 5 mm lower.
I want a bit more meat for better grip, and to protect the rims from kerbing.
Will the slight lowering offset the greater width in terms of Aero and its effect on range? I have a very long commute...

It is a definite maybe. The efficiency benefits of lowering will more likely offset the loss of efficiency of the slightly wider tire, right guys?
That I think it was German test showed what +7% efficiency by lowering..I find it hard to believe that a slightly wider tire would lose more efficiency than that.

UPP claims 8.1% less drag with a 1.5" drop in ride height. To convert that to foreign😆, thats 38.1mm less ride height. I don't think 5mm lower is going to make a significant decrease to your drag count.

How much do the new tires weigh vs the old?

So many variable changes with this simple tire swap. Not to mention the rubber compound of the bigger tires vs your current.

What are your current tires? If they are the MXM4 tires, I would say you can get newer technology tires with better grip for sure, and possibly even better efficiency.

You could use Tirerack and look for AA Traction tires for our cars. Plus the few threads on TMC on the Hankook ION Evo, Pirelli Elect, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, and Goodyear Electricdrive GT.

I have been obsessed with tires since a few months when I had some slides in the wet with MXM4s.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
What are your current tires? If they are the MXM4 tires, I would say you can get newer technology tires with better grip for sure, and possibly even better efficiency.

You could use Tirerack and look for AA Traction tires for our cars. Plus the few threads on TMC on the Hankook ION Evo, Pirelli Elect, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, and Goodyear Electricdrive GT.
Thanks.
The car came with Goodyear Eagle Touring M/S tires.
I'm thinking of buying my favorite tire for my other non-performance car, the General GMAX RS.
They are ultra high perf 3-season tires. I live in northern CA and don't plan on driving the Tesla in the mountains in winter.
I thought of finding something that has long life, are quiet and have good wet grip, but I decided to give up on long life. Good wet grip may save me from a crash on my long commute during the wet season.

This is for my 2018 RWD LR.
It will be about 5 mm lower.
I want a bit more meat for better grip, and to protect the rims from kerbing.
Will the slight lowering offset the greater width in terms of Aero and its effect on range? I have a very long commute...
Going wider doesn’t automatically mean more grip. I would choose tire compound over just simply going wider with a budget tire.

Reactions: enemji and shimmy