Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear ElectricDrive GT Tires 235/45R18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks,

I decided to start a new thread on the Goodyear ElectricDrive GT Tires for a few reasons. First, seems like most of the threads are in the Model Y forum. Second, was hoping to gather more real-world "data" on these tires for the Model 3 but also provide my own information.

After the usual paralysis by analysis period I just bought these tires online a few minutes ago. I am looking at a whole week of rain and thunderstorms and the 2019 made MXM4s with a 21k miles on them are unevenly worn (thanks to previous owner, 5/10s to 3/10s on the same tire) and I mentioned elsewhere on TMC that I had some slides in a previous rain storm. No major issues this morning in the rain/wind but I was definitely pussyfooting through the corners.

I considered the Sailun Erange and decided I was not going to roll that dice. Hankook Ion Evo was the only real other contender for me. If I didn't have the discount (see below) then maybe the decision would have been harder. But its also nice to support a homegrown company with tires made here as well. I am prepared for less efficiency (although hoping its not 10% like some Model Y folks say) for the additional wet grip. The only other TMC member with a M3LR + 18" Aeros says his efficiency is the same.

I hate that Goodyear.com requires me to use one of their installers but whatever. It was another reason I was looking at the Hankooks so I could use my normal shop.

GY ElectricDrive GT 235/45R18 - Total installed is supposed to be $978.70 with a USAA 25% discount.

Here is the breakdown:
Subtotal (4 tires at $271)
$1,084.00

25% Discount Code Applied.
-$271.00

Installation
$99.80
(Installation Labor $51.80, Installation Parts $24.00, TPMS Kit Labor $16.00, TPMS Kit Parts $8.00)

Taxes and Fees
$65.90
(Tire Disposal Fee $12.00, Waste Tax $3.20, Sales Tax $50.70)

Total
$978.70

Reactions: Pommie
I have a 2020 M3LR + FSDb (bought with ~11.6k miles, now at ~21.2k miles in 4 months). I cannot provide any useful Wh/mi until the next software drop. My current info all seems very weird and wrong. With the previous SW I have pictures of 30-40 mile trips with 184-192 Wh/mi but since 2023.7.10 I can barely get below 200 Wh/mi.

Currently looks like:

At some point I am going back to these Turbofan/Aerodisc/abominations. Yes, most of you hate them. I love them. Reminds me of rally cars of yore, BMW/Porsche race cars, and current F1 wheels.

I plan to continue my "driving like an old person" style to see how the new tires do without covers, then with my Turbofans (or the Aero covers).

Just installed the tires.

First blush, the noise is different and I cannot really say whether it's more quiet/same/louder than my old MXM4 tires.

At home we have fresh asphalt down and that should be a good indicator for noise.

There looks to be more rim protection.

I hacked my trip meter during the last SW update. This is no wheel covers installed, local driving with 50mph limits.
394 miles - 221 Wh/mi

My best round trip:
25 miles - 189 Wh/mi

Some of these trips were no A/C but going forward most trips will be with it on. Not sure how much that will affect efficiency.

Reactions: XPsionic
After a few hundred miles I have some insights vs MXM4s.

The tires are more compliant over bumps for sure and the ride is smoother. Even with cold pressure up to 45psi they provide a nicer ride than MXM4s at 42psi.

The steering effort is higher and I will assume it means there is better dry grip. I have not had major rains and that is really where I hope these tires do better aka I want an improvement in wet grip.

The tires are louder than stock. It took about 80miles for an initial whine to quiet down. It's not bad and depending on the road they can be quiet. But overall I would say they will be louder than MXM4.

I can't speak much to efficiency. I guess as a new Tesla owner I am learning that AC uses more energy than I thought when OAT is 90-92F. Right before I swapped I was getting 225 Wh/mi and now seeing 250 Wh/mi. There is an expectation of increased consumption with new tires so hopefully that number comes down.

But man, the AC motor is very loud now when I start the cool down. It sounds like a 737 going to takeoff thrust. Over weekend I got into the radiators and vacuumed out leaves and a cigarette butt. Not sure how much that will help...

So yeah, I was spoiled driving around without AC and getting below 200 Wh/mi. I also hope the next software update fixes my Energy App. I still don't trust the Current Drive/Odometer either, it all seems way high but I guess that could be the AC...

I am 8000 miles since an alignment and contemplating doing another one with these new tires (which I used to always do with new tires).

Reactions: XPsionic
Specwise on Tire Rack, the GY is a higher traction rating, 0.1" wider tread and 1/16" more tread depth. I've had GY Eagles twice and they sorted sucked, so I've stayed away from them since. All my Michelins across 3 cars have been great, and the one time I had Contis great as well. Hankooks were ok for the cost savings.

Will keep an eye on this for more feedback, thanks!

Specwise on Tire Rack, the GY is a higher traction rating, 0.1" wider tread and 1/16" more tread depth. I've had GY Eagles twice and they sorted sucked, so I've stayed away from them since. All my Michelins across 3 cars have been great, and the one time I had Contis great as well. Hankooks were ok for the cost savings.

Will keep an eye on this for more feedback, thanks!

Thank you, I learned something today. I never really looked into the UTQG rating system of Traction AA vs A and what it meant.

Its quite literally a Wet Traction rating! Sheesh. If you look at the minimums, the AA has ~15% better "g-force grading" for wet traction on asphalt than an A rating. Its ~9% better on concrete. That is good to know going forward but I think I won't buy tires without an AA rating ever again.

My only previous experience with Goodyears were the F1 Supercars that came as OEM tires on my 2004 Z. No complaints even with 405hp and 400 ft-lbs on tap.

To be honest, I was hoping General made an EV tire. For whatever reason they became my go-to tire starting with an SVT Focus and ending with a Boxster (I drove this car through the winter and ran AS tires). For me they seemed to be a good value for their performance level. If I had kept the Z06 it would have Generals on as the next set of tires.

BLUF - I still think energy calculations on 2023.7.20 are hosed and can't be trusted.

For science, I started on my drive to lunch today without AC (OAT 85F) and speed 28-38mph but rural so no traffic for 6 miles. The Wh/mi settled on 214 after a few miles. I set 77F on the AC and it jumped to about 220.

On the way home it was closer to 200 with AC. Best I can tell, with 2023.7.20 the Current Drive energy seems to have major errors when you are accelerating but then seems to be reasonable at steady states. Again, I am new but man everything energy-wise went to *sugar* with 2023.7.10 and then 20.

I'll be back when I hit 1,000 miles.

Reactions: Miata Head
That's too bad. I had the same experience with my Vredestein quatrac pros. I did a lot of research, looking for the quietest tires, but ended up with noisier tires.

I had planned to get the Electricdrives next, but you've changed my mind.

Is there any reliable way to determine what tires will be the quietest?

I will make an update when I get more miles, probably the end the August as I am away from the car right now.

I noticed there is still molding flash or flashing across the entire tread surface, so it's still very new at 515 miles.

But yeah, most of the reviews say they are more quiet than what they replaced.

Right now the reviews for Hankook all seem to say they are very quiet compared to the MXM4s.

My take: Goodyear ElectricDrive GT …quietest best riding tires I have had on my 1918 M3P with P package. I don't care about range I don't care about how long they will last I care about a quiet ride and comfort…Goodyear ElectricDrive GT is where it's at!!! I have the 19. I have 84,000 miles on my car free super charging as long as I own the car

• Informative
Reactions: PianoAl
Needing to replace tires on my 2019 Model 3 Dual Motor, and was planning on going with the Hankook Tires, then recieved the 25% from USAA and seriously considering going that route (Goodyear) appreciate the thread starter and hopefully others will chime in with their experiences on the Goodyear's thinking next week to do the install.

Folks,

I decided to start a new thread on the Goodyear ElectricDrive GT Tires for a few reasons. First, seems like most of the threads are in the Model Y forum. Second, was hoping to gather more real-world "data" on these tires for the Model 3 but also provide my own information.

After the usual paralysis by analysis period I just bought these tires online a few minutes ago. I am looking at a whole week of rain and thunderstorms and the 2019 made MXM4s with a 21k miles on them are unevenly worn (thanks to previous owner, 5/10s to 3/10s on the same tire) and I mentioned elsewhere on TMC that I had some slides in a previous rain storm. No major issues this morning in the rain/wind but I was definitely pussyfooting through the corners.

I considered the Sailun Erange and decided I was not going to roll that dice. Hankook Ion Evo was the only real other contender for me. If I didn't have the discount (see below) then maybe the decision would have been harder. But its also nice to support a homegrown company with tires made here as well. I am prepared for less efficiency (although hoping its not 10% like some Model Y folks say) for the additional wet grip. The only other TMC member with a M3LR + 18" Aeros says his efficiency is the same.

I hate that Goodyear.com requires me to use one of their installers but whatever. It was another reason I was looking at the Hankooks so I could use my normal shop.

GY ElectricDrive GT 235/45R18 - Total installed is supposed to be $978.70 with a USAA 25% discount.

Here is the breakdown:
Subtotal (4 tires at $271)
$1,084.00

25% Discount Code Applied.
-$271.00

Installation
$99.80
(Installation Labor $51.80, Installation Parts $24.00, TPMS Kit Labor $16.00, TPMS Kit Parts $8.00)

Taxes and Fees
$65.90
(Tire Disposal Fee $12.00, Waste Tax $3.20, Sales Tax $50.70)

Total
$978.70
Oh wow!!!! Thank you!!!! I forgot about the Perks section on USAA and didn't know that Goodyear offered such a great deal. Will get these later this year.

I drove a short trip today, no a/c (hot as hell but I just spent 2 hours in the yard), up hill there and downhill on the way back. Again, for science!

Seems like the a/c is really driving up my energy usage. These numbers below are very similar to my MXM4 for the same trip which bodes well as the tires break in.

PXL_20230806_164529181.jpg

Going through older pics, l did the same trash run on June 24th = 170 Current and Since Charge 192 on MXM4.

So right now the GY are within 6-7% of the MXM4 and still at 682 miles total on them.

It's a short trip but I do it weekly, so maybe something I can use to benchmark.

Quick Update.

Had the car aligned yesterday, see this thread for the info:

On the way to work this morning, 17 miles = 194 Wh/mi.

It was cooler, around 75F, and I didn't use a/c. It seems that the alignment did help with my energy usage but it's so hard to quantify how much. But I noticed it as I left the shop yesterday.

First 1600 miles on GYEDGT:
246 Wh/mi

For reference, my last 394 miles on MXM4:
221 Wh/mi

So I reset the odometer and will see how the GYEDGT do after the alignment and break-in period.

At this point I am happy and would be comfortable saying they are pretty close if not equal to the MXM4 with respect to energy usage.

...time to install my sweet sweet Turbofan covers!

That's too bad. I had the same experience with my Vredestein quatrac pros. I did a lot of research, looking for the quietest tires, but ended up with noisier tires.

I had planned to get the Electricdrives next, but you've changed my mind.

Is there any reliable way to determine what tires will be the quietest?
In USA there is no objective noise tests, but in Europe there are. The noise tests are outside the vehicle though, not inside.

That said, everyone reports here on TMC note how the Hankook iON are very quiet. They'll probably be my next one. There haven't yet been reports on Bridgestone Turanza EV, which I would suspect would be the best competition to Hankook iON (grand touring type tire).

Installed my aero covers. Travel soccer has started so most weekends will see a game 70-90 miles away.

Had a trip Saturday and Sunday to the same place, 75 miles each way. Saturday morning was cooler but the trip home was 85F and then Sunday was 85F-92F for both legs. Not a lot of flat ground in these parts and max speeds were 65 mph.

Saturday miles included an additional ~6 miles running to a gas station.

Saturday:
158 miles
42 kWh
267 Wh/mi

Sunday:
151 miles
38 kWh
255 Wh/mi

I feel like I drove faster today and it was hotter on both legs, but I somehow used 4 less kWh.

Driving 76 miles each way tomorrow, going to be 80F on the way up and 95F on the way down. I think there are less hills on this trip but it feels like the a/c usage is a real wild card for efficiency numbers. Once we get into the fall when it cools down I am curious how the Wh/mi will play out. I have trip data from the spring and can post them in a few days, to show MXM4 vs GY on these mini-road trips.

Tires seem to be around 9.5/32" and have a total of 2,649 miles on them.

Tirerack tested the Goodyear ElectricDrive GT vs Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect

Lots of good information on both of these tires in the tabs plus a video. Would love to get the Hankooks Ion EVOs into these tests to see what you give up in Dry/Wet grip for the gains in efficiency. Maybe the answer is not much. Who knows? The wet performance of the Goodyears was impressive.

I just did a tire rotation at 4158 miles. The front inners were both at 9/32" while the outer parts and rears were all about 9.5/32". I am hoping my alignment cured the excess wear, which is partially why I decided to rotate early. We shall see in maybe 5k or 6k miles when I do another rotation.

Maybe I said it in another thread, but we did 2 solid days in rain. Some light, some heavy. The tires did a great job, no sliding, and the steering forces were good. It never felt like the scary light I had with worn MXM4s.