TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is a $35,000 Tesla Model 3 Envisioned by Musk Profitable? UBS Says No

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Nuclear Fusion, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Nuclear Fusion

#1 Nuclear Fusion, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Is a $35,000 Tesla Model 3 Envisioned by Musk Profitable? UBS Says No

Tesla Model 3 is 'military-grade tech years ahead of peers' but still expected to lose money

2. kengchang

kengchang Member

Sandy Munro says LR 30+% SR 16%, FUDDDDDDDDDDD

• Like x 1
  3. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

Only one who knows is Tesla.

The rest all - including UBS and Munro are just winging their way for more clicks and cheap publicity.

• Like x 3
  4. rdlink

rdlink Member

Is this the same UBS who tried to do this same analysis on the Model 3 by tearing apart a Leaf???

• Like x 2
  5. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

They don't even have the 35k with the ligther and cheaper new battery pack. It is just speculation.

• Disagree x 1
  6. jmp3000

jmp3000 Member

This also UBS report also ignores the fact that 50-75% of SR purchasers will likely get either autopilot or FSD. This should easily push it into profitability for the majority of sales.

7. smak

smak Member

UBS says

Cost of 49k model3 ~41k
    Cost of 35k model3~ 41k

Something is wrong in that picture.

• Like x 3
  8. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

My Mamma taught me .... "If you can't say something nice .... don't say anything at all."

I've wearied of all the negative comments about everything and everyone in our society. There are people and things (Tesla specifically) that the media is going to fault for everything thing ... and mostly by writers that know little about their subject. Investigative, thoughtful journalism cease to exist. Inflammatory (the more the better), negative comments sell, and gets headlines.

9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Yes, Tesla is betting the farm on a car that can’t be profitably built. It’s probably because they know less about the cost of making their own cars than the experts at UBS do. And the folks at Munro are clearly wrong, too. Now that I think about it, I bet that Tesla completely overlooked the fact that they need to sell cars at a profit. It probably hasn’t even occurred to them, that profit thing.

Now that UBS has cleared things up for them, maybe Tesla can finally get their act together.

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  10. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Base model means no pricey PUP upgrades which the current LR model has. Smaller battery. I note also they said the battery costs $178/KWh, which hasn't been true in years.

• Informative x 1
  11. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

What a goof by Tesla not realizing they need to make money on cars they sell. Probably some face palming going on at Tesla HQ right now.
    Glad that's all cleared up for them now.

12. Nuclear Fusion

Yep, that’s pure profit

13. smak

smak Member

Is there a breakdown of how many people buy EAP and FSD?

14. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

$178/kWh?! It's like they completely ignore the fact that the Gigafactory exists! :eek:

• Like x 1
  15. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Is this the same UBS that has a 30% hit rate on their TSLA predictions and a -20% return?

16. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

It seems that my sarcasm wasn’t dripping enough...

17. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

I do not understand this statement. True, the SR does not come with PUP, but neither does the LR. (Am I correct?)

Are you implying that PUP is not available of the SR?

18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

The problem with a 35K Model 3 is it’s likely to remain a 35K Model 3 with the exception of paint.

Can anyone find a P100D owner who didn’t take software? Probably very rare if any.

The higher the base the higher the uptake on options.

It’s all common sense and expected.

I don’t see many people raising the cost of the car by over 20% to add software.

• Like x 1
  19. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

#19 tpham07, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Right now you have to order the PUP or you dont get a Model 3. (i mean the premium interior package*)

20. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

Thanks tpham07 - My interest right now (it could change in time) is a SR with PUP, 18 inch wheels, and a color other than black. That pretty much completes my interest at this time.
    I have no need for AWD, and little interest in a performance package. (I assume that requires AWD).

I read with interest EM's statement about battery modules, not that I understand what he said, but I am hoping the change will render a little more range than 220 mile.

I suspect (hope) that once the federal rebate expires, there will be a modest reduction in the $9K LR cost. I acknowledge it is a good price especially with the fed credit, but I am building a house, and money it tight, even if it is a good bargain.