TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is A Parking Garage Really Not Liable If My Car Gets Damaged Or Stolen?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by e-FTW, Sep 26, 2015.

1. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

To valet or not to valet? Or even: to leave our precious magical cars in a parking facility or not to?

See this for a quick run down of what exactly those notes and signs about not being responsible for your car or its contents actually mean. Depending on your state, the answer may surprise you!

Is A Parking Garage Really Not Liable If My Car Gets Damaged Or Stolen?

If any of you have done the research for your own state's take on this, post below!

2. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

Short answer: No, they are not responsible.

Real answer: Are you kidding me? My Tesla never leaves my garage. You know what's out there right? There are rock chips, dust, rain storms, people who may hit your car, people who may key your car, other cars, other people, germs, sunshine, and randoms who will gaze at your car and leave eye-staring energy on it. I best leave it where it started this morning. :)

Taking the Prius out to dinner ... might be a street-parking only situation tonight.

3. DougJohnson

DougJohnson Member

#3 DougJohnson, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    You've got comprehensive insurance, no? That makes it an insurance company's problem, either theirs or yours. Stop worrying and enjoy the car.
    -- Doug

4. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Guys, just read the article. They ARE responsible, depending on how your state treats it.

But I totally agree that our cars are way better off in a hermetically sealed bunker. ;-)