Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Parking assist failure - subsequent damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon leaving my parking garage last night, the model Y parking assist sensors failed to notify of an impending collision with an object, a cement pillar, while reversing.

To start, my work garage is a labyrinth in general, and the electric charging spots are even worse, most located next to or directly behind pillars in the driving lane, which makes reversing a bit challenging. I happened to be in one of the electric charging spots where there is a pillar directly in the way of the spot, so there is no way to straight reverse out, it typically takes a dozen or so moves to avoid cement pillar and yellow metal poles. Anyway, since I was leaving late, I opted to go across the vacant spots next to the one I parked in. This forced me into a three point turn, after putting the car in reverse, I subsequently slammed into a smaller cement pillar, damaging the trunk and rear bumper, enough so, they would require replacement.

My question is why didnt the sensors alert me? Any other day, if I get within feet of something in the garage, the sensors trigger an alert which have no issue gaining ones attention. Is it possible the parking assist sensors failed? Why would I not be alerted to a object I would run into? Did recent software update cause this to occur?

I know this is human error but isnt this the point of the sensors?

And the big question, what is Tesla's responsibility is this feature malfunctioned?

I thought that they were using the super tesla vision And got rid of the sensors on the newer cars?
just like I thought that they are not using the radar anymore in the latest updates on cars equipped with it.
I have a older model y with radar and the old slow processor. Never use to have phantom braking issues and now it is so bad I don’t use it.

Tesla vision is a joke. But then so is musks vision for twitter.

in the end it’s your fault like you said. Sorry to hear. I’m going to check my car now to see it the sensors still work.

Reactions: Mike7564
And the big question, what is Tesla's responsibility is this feature malfunctioned?
None, if you mean "does tesla have a responsibility to fix my car for free for me because I ran into this pillar".

Sensors are never portrayed as 100% accurate, so there will be no liability to tesla here. Similar to how people say "I had an accident while on autopilot / FSD, Tesla should fix it for free because......", and that never happens, this isnt going to happen either. Until we reach a point where the driver is not responsible, the driver is always responsible. You would be wasting your time expecting, or trying to get tesla to cover anything here.

On a separate note, and this isnt a moderator note either, just a personal opinion, its hard for me to take anyone seriously when they make their user name the equivalent of a frat joke, like "IC weiner" or some such, like yours is.

I've heard others mention that they also lost the parking sensor functions on their USS-equipped vehicles after doing an update. If this is true, I guess the folks that have been taking delivery this month won't feel so bad about not having USS in their vehicles.

I havent driven either of our cars (model 3 or model Y) since the holiday update so I cant answer related to that. before that, however, both my cars still had parking sensors. My garage is a bit tight for both cars so the sensors normally go off when we park the cars, so much so I had to mute the sound for them. I see the sensor waves all the time while I am driving around so I guess I will find out the next time i go out driving.

On a separate note, and this isnt a moderator note either, just a personal opinion, its hard for me to take anyone seriously when they make their user name the equivalent of a frat joke, like "IC weiner" or some such, like yours is.
It's actually not a frat joke. It's a a beastie boys lyric "I'm electric like Dick Hyman." Being reference to the great the Jazz musician who put out albums title "Moog: The Electric Eclectics" and being an electric car forum, I found it fitting.

yellow metal poles

FYI USS cannot see poles well, they're like invisible almost. These assist features are just that assist. There's no guarantee and ultimately the driver is responsible.

btw what firmware are you on, recently updated?

I’m on 2022.44.2 and I 100% still have USS functionality on my MY, are we certain that the new “Holiday Update” disables them? I have been hearing that rumor(?) since the last couple of updates when the removal of USS was announced. But it is still working for me up to this version 44.2 version.

I’m on 2022.44.2 and I 100% still have USS functionality on my MY, are we certain that the new “Holiday Update” disables them? I have been hearing that rumor(?) since the last couple of updates when the removal of USS was announced. But it is still working for me up to this version 44.2 version.
I am hors de combat just now ( this does not mean I am a front line ho - so steady boy). My lumber and sciatica pain has kept me from Lizzie Y for a week. I shall be so disappointed if the sensors have been disabled; my cars have had this invaluable aid for more than a decade.
However, I am confident that this is just a manifestation of the latent paranoia seeded by the removal of the sensors on the latest cars; " Oh no! Maybe he will disable my Q2 MY LR sensors to achieve a level playing field; let us ALL feel really pissed off. 🤔

Rally to the call those of you without temporary mobility issues and try some reverse " pole dancing" then let us know the damage or hopefully not.

Meanwhile, I will struggle to the window and peak at my iced up ICE neighbours as they wonder how come Lizzie is frost free...unless of course the latest "exciting over the air software update" has disabled the Defrost function!

Hey ho! Never a dull moment with Elon😳.

I am hors de combat just now ( this does not mean I am a front line ho - so steady boy). My lumber and sciatica pain has kept me from Lizzie Y for a week. I shall be so disappointed if the sensors have been disabled; my cars have had this invaluable aid for more than a decade.
However, I am confident that this is just a manifestation of the latent paranoia seeded by the removal of the sensors on the latest cars; " Oh no! Maybe he will disable my Q2 MY LR sensors to achieve a level playing field; let us ALL feel really pissed off. 🤔

Rally to the call those of you without temporary mobility issues and try some reverse " pole dancing" then let us know the damage or hopefully not.

Meanwhile, I will struggle to the window and peak at my iced up ICE neighbours as they wonder how come Lizzie is frost free...unless of course the latest "exciting over the air software update" has disabled the Defrost function!

Hey ho! Never a dull moment with Elon😳.
P.S. The decade or more during which I have enjoyed/become dependent on reversing sensors, was all with ICEers.
It took eight long years of latent longings as a Tesla Fan "Boy" before Lizzie Y arrived.
So, shape the f... up Elon.

Sensors or censor?
A quick Wikipedia check is always useful before passing unkind judgements on our fellows.... just sayin'😉

Upon leaving my parking garage last night, the model Y parking assist sensors failed to notify of an impending collision with an object, a cement pillar, while reversing.

To start, my work garage is a labyrinth in general, and the electric charging spots are even worse, most located next to or directly behind pillars in the driving lane, which makes reversing a bit challenging. I happened to be in one of the electric charging spots where there is a pillar directly in the way of the spot, so there is no way to straight reverse out, it typically takes a dozen or so moves to avoid cement pillar and yellow metal poles. Anyway, since I was leaving late, I opted to go across the vacant spots next to the one I parked in. This forced me into a three point turn, after putting the car in reverse, I subsequently slammed into a smaller cement pillar, damaging the trunk and rear bumper, enough so, they would require replacement.

My question is why didnt the sensors alert me? Any other day, if I get within feet of something in the garage, the sensors trigger an alert which have no issue gaining ones attention. Is it possible the parking assist sensors failed? Why would I not be alerted to a object I would run into? Did recent software update cause this to occur?

@Dick Hyman Welcome new member.

Dick Hyman: HAHAHA! I thought he might be related to Dick Trickle!!! (Google is your friend, guys...)

Re: parking sensors: I've noticed, since owning my Dec. 2020 produced MYLR, that there's a dead area, adjacent to the front doors, maybe right at the B pillars, where obstacles aren't triggering the sensors.

• Informative
Reactions: Wattsisname