Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone backing into parking spaces in order to have better cross traffic vision by pulling out instead of backing out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
?
Also learn how to pump the brakes 20 times a second who needs ABS?

this car has very limited rear visibility. Also when you park between 2 large SUVs it’s impossible to see thru them. These options are very important which is why dodge put it on cars that cost half as much 7 yrs ago

it should just be a software update right ? The car has cameras on every corner

?
Also learn how to pump the brakes 20 times a second who needs ABS?

this car has very limited rear visibility. Also when you park between 2 large SUVs it’s impossible to see thru them. These options are very important which is why dodge put it on cars that cost half as much 7 yrs ago

it should just be a software update right ? The car has cameras on every corner
Somehow people managed for decades without such 'assistance'. Relax. Learned to move out slowly and look side to side. You can do it !!!!

Sure you can do it. It’s possible. I drive cars on track at 140 mph, I’m very capable.

should a present day $70k car have safety tech that cars half the price had 7 years ago ? Yes. Can you name any other car that costs this much that DOESNT have this tech ? No.

this is a glaring defect that needs to be addressed in an otherwise awesome car. People literally don’t buy these because of this.

also I don’t want to waste time backing in to spaces every time.

Reactions: Jejunjm and Daekwan
Sure you can do it. It’s possible. I drive cars on track at 140 mph, I’m very capable.

should a present day $70k car have safety tech that cars half the price had 7 years ago ? Yes. Can you name any other car that costs this much that DOESNT have this tech ? No.

this is a glaring defect that needs to be addressed in an otherwise awesome car. People literally don’t buy these because of this.

also I don’t want to waste time backing in to spaces every time.
I've said this before about a few things 'missing' from my Model Y.. I don't know what's worst. That Tesla doesn't have features like rear cross-traffic alerts.. or that so many people still defend it. A four year old Honda or Toyota that sold for $25K new is going to have this technology, but somehow its now unnecessary on a $50K 2021 Tesla. Not only do Hondas & Toyotas offer this feature standard (free).. but it works so well it even shows you WHICH direction the cross-traffic is coming. Something my wife's 2018 VW does not do (it only alerts you there is traffic incoming). Many vehicles now also have an upgraded version of the technology that automatically stop the vehicle when traffic is detected to prevent an accident. This type of safety technology is invaluable for getting out of tight driveways and parking spaces where its virtually impossible for the driver to see what is coming along.

Anyways to answer the original question.. Yes, I back in when possible. And yeah it's mostly because I cannot see around other vehicles when backing out.. even driving as slowly as possible. The longer the vehicle, the more of a nightmare this becomes especially in parking lots with aggressive drivers flying up and down the lanes. As others have stated, backing up allows you better align parking lanes using your mirrors or cameras.. so you get a car parked perfectly in between the lanes.

Reactions: Jejunjm and a2t2
I know. I literally have no idea what we’re arguing about and who would take the opposite side on this discussion lol. This is like arguing with my lawyer brother at thanksgiving for the sake of arguing… these features are as critical to any car operation as having 4 wheels instead of 3, in my opinion. Factor in the high $$$ and it’s just unethical

I've said this before about a few things 'missing' from my Model Y.. I don't know what's worst. That Tesla doesn't have features like rear cross-traffic alerts.. or that so many people still defend it. A four year old Honda or Toyota that sold for $25K new is going to have this technology, but somehow its now unnecessary on a $50K 2021 Tesla. Not only do Hondas & Toyotas offer this feature standard (free).. but it works so well it even shows you WHICH direction the cross-traffic is coming. Something my wife's 2018 VW does not do (it only alerts you there is traffic incoming). Many vehicles now also have an upgraded version of the technology that automatically stop the vehicle when traffic is detected to prevent an accident. This type of safety technology is invaluable for getting out of tight driveways and parking spaces where its virtually impossible for the driver to see what is coming along.

Anyways to answer the original question.. Yes, I back in when possible. And yeah it's mostly because I cannot see around other vehicles when backing out.. even driving as slowly as possible. The longer the vehicle, the more of a nightmare this becomes especially in parking lots with aggressive drivers flying up and down the lanes. As others have stated, backing up allows you better align parking lanes using your mirrors or cameras.. so you get a car parked perfectly in between the lanes.
I agree with you totally, this and the lack of normal, typical blind spot monitoring. Myself I don't mind backing in, used to do it all the time but was criticized heavily every time. Question on Blind spot. Can you use the rear camera view on the screen to know if another vehicle is in your blind spot. I realize it may not be be desirable to keep that view on the screen all the time. Also I've learned that typically we don't have the rear view mirrors set properly to show another vehicle in the blind spot. It was interesting that on the test drive the driver's mirror was set properly.

Reactions: Daekwan
No idea what you are arguing about this for. Not having bsm, cross traffic, and car play are 3 of the absolute dumbest things I’ve seen on a car this expensive (esp one that can drive itself)

I think the issue is the hardware just isn’t on the vehicles to do bsm and cross traffic. Car play I can’t explain. Elon must be pissed at apple.

Reactions: Daekwan