Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone else planning around the Tesla III release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current car is coming up on 4 years old and will be paid off 5 months from now. I had been considering getting something else relatively soon. Possibly a shorter term lease, but now I'm thinking my best bet is to simply keep what I have until either the III is released or I decide that the III isn't what I hoped it would be. The Model S looks fantastic but I can't justify the cost with the driving I do.

I have a previous generation Honda Civic that's paid off. I would be nice to have some tech features, as the car doesn't have even a USB port, but I'm holding out for Model 3. The Model S is too expensive and too large for my needs.

In the unlikely event my Civic is totaled before Model 3 becomes available, I'll buy the cheapest trim Honda Fit available to tide me over.

I too have been planning for the Model 3 for years. I have to since the Model 3 I want will likely be twice as much as I've ever paid for a car. My 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe sucks now that I have a 3-year-old (besides that, I'm just NEVER buying another 2-door coupe unless it has gullwing or falcon doors; UGH they swing so wide and half the time just swing back and smack into me), but it makes a ton more financial sense to hang onto it and wait for Model 3 since the G35 is long since paid off. It also has low mileage (75k). So far it's been holding its value relatively well. Hopefully it'll continue to do that.

Gunning for a fully maxed-out Sig Performance D model. Sig red please! From there I'm never looking back; I'll be a Tesla guy for life unless the company completely loses its way one day.

My current car is a 2002 Saturn SL2. She's running well, and I hope to get several more years out of her. It is my hope that when the time comes for me to get a new car, that not only will the Model 3 be available, but that my finances will be such that I can afford it (right now, purchasing any new car, even a cheap $15k model, is out of the question).

If my Saturn dies before the Model 3 is available, and if my finances at the time will support it, I'll look into leasing a Volt to tide me over until the 3 is out.

My advise to the OP, for what it's worth, is that as long as your current car is running well, you should just hold on to it, and once its paid off divert that money in your budget to saving for the down payment for the 3. Who knows, depending on how long it takes, you might even save up enough to buy it outright! Wouldn't that be something - buy a new car without needing to worry about car payments. That's what I would do if I were in your situation.

We've just bought a brand new Mazda 3 and it will be paid off by 2018. Since I don't expect Model 3 to be shipped to Europe earlier than that, this is perfect timing for us. We plan to sell the Mazda and get a non-performance dual motors Model 3 with supercharging, tech package, autopilot, etc.

I'll hit the reserve button as soon as it's online. Hope to be amongst the first people to get a non-sig non-performance version of Model 3 in Europe.

My current car would probably last me the next ten years and is paid off in full. I have no need for a large sedan of any sort. If a Tesla Model S Coupe (with Falcon Wing Doors!) is released, I'll move Heaven and Earth to get that. But at this point, I am hoping for a Tesla Model ☰ Coupe to be unveiled as an early offering among Generation III vehicles. Even if a Coupe is shown, I expect that Sedan and Crossover variants will take priority. So I may not be able to actually drive the car until 2019...

People were telling me I was out of my mind months ago, when I said a Model ☰ P135+ Coupe would be $59,900 in base trim, weigh 3,780 LBS, have AWD, with 500 HP/550 LB FT Torque, with a Top Speed of 155 MPH, reach 0-60 MPH 3.0 Seconds, and a 525 Mile Range. I'd want it to have Falcon Wing Doors too.

My plan is simple...wait for the Mod III to be unveiled...if I like the styling more than the Model S, I'll get a Mod III...if I don't like the styling, I'll choose a used Model S from the flood of trade ins that will soon be hitting the market.

I have a 2009 renault laguna coupe, 2.0dCi. I like the car so much I have problems finding a suitable replacement in ICE world.
Being infected with EV-virus does not help. My current agenda is to stick with it until '18 time frame and then join the rEVolution.

Car payments? What car payments? Shut up and take my cash!

Well - I test drove a Model S last week; I want a Tesla. I'm planning for a couple years out - Right when the Tesla 3 becomes avaialble.

I have about two years of payments left on my Hyundai Vera Cruz, our Toyota Sienna is paid off, and both cars are running very well.

I purchased the Vera Cruz so I could have a passenger/gear hauler for Boy Scout trips. My youngest is in 8th grade, so in the next few years, we will no longer need two big vehicles. I'm sure my wife will want to continue with the Mini Van, so, my next car will be a Tesla. Either a new Model 3 or used Model S. Depends on what is available.

Yes, all current car decisions revolve around the Model 3, just see my signature!

Currently leasing a 2013 Prius. Lease ends January 2016. Will pay that off and keep the car as the long range driving car. My wife often uses it for her long work commute. My work commute is only 14 miles round trip. I'm selling my 2000 Insight shortly and will replace it with (hopefully) a leased Kia Soul EV. The idea is to simply get off gas for the next 3 years till the Model 3 comes out. I'm leasing the Soul EV so I don't have to worry about any battery degradation issues. If by some chance the Soul EV is spectacularly successful I might consider keeping it. But the chances are the Soul EV goes back to Kia, and I put a deposit down on the Model 3 at 12:01am the day reservations start.

I don't care what the car looks like. I followed the Insight development since around 1995. When I saw what the car actually looked like, I almost vomited :tongue:. I eventually learned to love that car despite the looks, so anything Tesla throws out as a Model 3 I will be fine with.

When the Model 3 is in hand, I am done with gas. I will never purchase gasoline again. All the bad guys can wreak as much havoc as they want, but they won't be doing it with my money anymore. Well, I do still pay taxes... :tongue:

RT

Probably time for me to change my signature.

I've been watching Tesla closely for about a year and a half now. Was planning on getting a Model S in spring of 2015. I've had two test drives, one S85 and one P85+. I love the Model S but it's really a bigger car than I want or need, and the price makes me a little uncomfortable. So I'm starting to think what I'll do is early next year start a 3 year lease on a BMW i3 BEV, and hope that when the lease is up the Tesla 3 (or possibly a viable competitor?) will be available.

I would be leasing the i3 rather than buying because I'm concerned that when affordable 200+ mile EV's start to hit the market, the resale value of 80 mile commuter EV's will drop like a stone.

My 2008 Mustang GT is paid for and runs fine, I'd hold on to it for longer trips unless BMW gets the Alternate Mobility program rolled out.

We almost bought a model S in the past year but couldn't pull the trigger due to the cost, I couldn't justify it. I also have a smaller family with just one daughter, my wife and I. No car payments which is nice. I plan to run our 2011 BMW 335D until the Model 3 comes out then load it up with every option. Timing should work out well, my daughter is 12 and by then the 335D won't be worth much so it can be her first car. I drive a 1994 Landcruiser, paid for and gets the job done for snow, towing and putting around town. The Landcruiser should be good for another couple decades. 8kw Solar system has been on the roof for over a year with enough excess production to power a car, paid cash for those and I love not having a bill every month.

My car has been paid off for about two years now. Although a lot of people have encouraged me to get into an EV as soon as possible, I think I'm going to hold out for the Model 3. Besides, the more I save now, the nicer a Model 3 I'll be able to afford! :smile:

Yes, in fact my wish for the 3 kids is that they never get to drive an ICE, that way they will get their brains to think in kWh and ranges, and keep the planet cleaner. This is very likely given that my oldest will start driving around 2020.

It is also a great excuse for this rabid 3-pedal addict to justify going 2-pedal with the new tech, although I would be very pleasantly surprised if some nutjob in Zuffenhausen slaps a 7MT into a PHEV or even EV, although it would require an über-kevlar clutch:)

I recently went through the motions of investigating my current car - I was looking at a variety of cars in the AUD55-60k range including Mercedes C180s, Volvo V40/V60s, a few Audis and then more basic cars like Mazda 3 or a new Mitsub Lancer - but ultimately I've decided to just hold off for two years, put that money I'd overwise be sinking in to a car loan in to a savings account, and be one of the first to order a Model 3 *if* I like the specs and looks of what's announced.

A 450km range is mandatory, and Musks comments of "won't look like other cars" has me worried, because that isn't necessarily a good thing. I'd be completely happy if it looked like a Model S but was 20% smaller. For me, mandatory features are simply adaptive cruise control, DRLs and fog lamps, and a decent amount of storage space - a hatchback would be preferable. Autopilot would be nice, but like the stereo system the Model S has, they do strike me as being luxury features so shouldn't be expected.

I'm happy to wait around until the Model 3 is announced, but if I don't like what gets announced I'll have to jump on some other new car. I do hope they don't try to go too radical.

I think Tesla has backed off from the "won't look like other cars" statement they made earlier. They know time is of the essence with Model 3 so they've since stated that the initial model 3 won't be as adventurous as they had hoped in order to meet their imposed deadline (of sorts). Elon has also said he's very aware they haven't been very good at keeping their delivery dates and will work hard at not slipping the schedule like Model X did. Tesla has everything riding on model 3, it's the reason for the Gigafactory after all so they know that everything has to dovetail together. They pushed very hard to get the incentives they needed for the Gigafactory to start construction by he end of 2014 so their schedule is certainly on a whiteboard at headquarters.

I think there are more than a few reasons to play it safe on the Model 3. Look at what the best-selling cars are: Camry, Accord, Altima, etc. None of them are exactly what you'd call "radical." Granted, I know the M3 won't sell in the same volumes as those models, at least initially, but if Tesla's serious about the Model 3 being a "mainstream" car, it has to have broad appeal. By that, I don't mean that it has to look like a CamCord clone, but it probably shouldn't look like an i3 (although puzzlingly, I'm seeing a LOT of those lately). I'm expecting something with some similarity to a Model S, but a little stubbier, which is fine with me. As long as it has decent (200-250 mi) range, decent performance (6-7 sec 0-60) and a somewhat attainable price ($35-45k) I'm good with that. I'm all for higher-performance, and more adventurous variants, but they can wait.

We almost bought a model S in the past year but couldn't pull the trigger due to the cost, I couldn't justify it. I also have a smaller family with just one daughter, my wife and I. No car payments which is nice. I plan to run our 2011 BMW 335D until the Model 3 comes out then load it up with every option.
I am in a similar position. Our larger car is 15 years old 155K miles and is due to be replaced. The S does fit the bill perfectly except for the $$$ and the fact my SO is not one to accept the trials and tribulations of being an early adopter (whenever anything goes wrong, the car usually ends up on a flatbed). While I haven't counted the S out yet, may have to wait until the next cycle to join the EV crowd.

Our newer smaller car, also a 2011 BMW 335D, will be near replacement time as well when the Tesla Model 3 comes out. Give me the option for similar performance to the 335D and 300 mile range, I'll sign up now. Except for one carbon cleaning needed, the 335D has been flawless in the 60K miles we've had it. Thus if not an S this time around, it may be a Euro Delivery of a BMW 3 GT.