Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You all have about talked me out of a Tesla altogether...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...if you have a serious repair or problem ... the "no loaners, maybe uber credit" policy royally sucks... there are folks in the lightning forum with battery issues and they end up with a loaner for the few weeks it takes to get, install and test the new battery.
The Lightning is in it's infancy with less than 50,000 out there (don't know the real number but I feel confident it is less than 50K). When it was just the S and then the X, it was standard to give a loaner. As the numbers grew (there are about 5 million Tesla's on the road today), this became impractical, so you are seeing the shift to Uber credits. To me, this is a normal evolution that I would expect.

And no it should NOT be! It is not up to us to do so; it should be expected and automatically given! I don't have to do that with any other company with whom I have a relationship! Tesla needs to get their CS and quality house in order!
In a perfect world
Being nice to people goes a long way
Works with Tesla, works with Costco, works on this forum

Reactions: Hiline
The Lightning is in it's infancy with less than 50,000 out there (don't know the real number but I feel confident it is less than 50K). When it was just the S and then the X, it was standard to give a loaner. As the numbers grew (there are about 5 million Tesla's on the road today), this became impractical, so you are seeing the shift to Uber credits. To me, this is a normal evolution that I would expect.
what other manufacturer offers uber credits (!) to their customers for warranty repairs instead of a loaner? ... *crickets* ...

unless you are within 30min of a service center and literally do not need a vehicle while your Tesla is in the shop.... uber credits don't work.

what other manufacturer offers uber credits (!) to their customers for warranty repairs instead of a loaner? ... *crickets* ...

unless you are within 30min of a service center and literally do not need a vehicle while your Tesla is in the shop.... uber credits don't work.
Well other manufacturers don't even offer a loaner when they are all loaned out. Having Uber credits is better than that. And some Tesla SCs also contract with Enterprise for loaners. Note for most warranties, providing a loaner is a courtesy, not actually contractually obligated.

Well other manufacturers don't even offer a loaner when they are all loaned out.

Actually, they do.

Having Uber credits is better than that.

Yeah, it's amazing. Waiting 45+ minutes for a ride that doesn't show up is fantastic.
And no Uber takes a ride from my home to the SC.
So much better than having a loaner!

Note for most warranties, providing a loaner is a courtesy, not actually contractually obligated.

It's a courtesy customer-focused automakers and dealership extend to their customers.
Tesla is not one of them.
Sucks for us, the owners.

a

Actually, they do.
How are they going to offer a loaner when they loaned out all of them already? I've seen in other threads people say you are pretty much out of luck when that happens.
It's trivial to find examples, here's the first result on Google:

Answer is "if they don't have one, they don't have one".
Yeah, it's amazing. Waiting 45+ minutes for a ride that doesn't show up is fantastic.
And no Uber takes a ride from my home to the SC.
So much better than having a loaner!
I'm not saying it's necessarily better than a loaner (although in urban places sometimes it is because you don't have to deal with parking), just that it's better than nothing.
It's a courtesy customer-focused automakers and dealership extend to their customers.
Tesla is not one of them.
Sucks for us, the owners.
Well, Tesla does do loaners when they have them available, but it's not required, just like how it isn't for dealers (so tough luck when they have loaned them all out).

Rivian does this too. I guess I wasn't shocked because of coming from Tesla. When they do have a loaner though, I do get a Rivian. If the wait will be longer than a day though, they give me a loaner through enterprise - which is not bad. They also cover one tank refill.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3

Just FYI. Since traditional automaker's dealers are franchises, they typically only offer loaners to customers that bought vehicles directly from the dealer you purchased it from (or their group, if they own several).

I had a 2017 Ram purchased from Security Dodge (in NY); I never was given a loaner from Westbury Jeep when I brought it in for service. Both dealers only offer loaners to those who purchase from them. Westbury Jeep is 45 minutes closer to me (but didn't have the Ram I wanted). Westbury Jeep would offer drop-off and pickup service though (either their drivers or Uber).

With my Audi, when it was under warranty, and I moved here, there were 2 close Audi dealerships, one told me "Only if you purchased it from here" the other said "Yes, we offer to all Audi customers."

Well other manufacturers don't even offer a loaner when they are all loaned out. Having Uber credits is better than that. And some Tesla SCs also contract with Enterprise for loaners. Note for most warranties, providing a loaner is a courtesy, not actually contractually obligated.
For the 18+ years that I owned a BMW 323i, whenever I needed to take it in for service I made an appointment and requested a loaner. These were both in and out of warranty work. Most of the time I would get a comparable BMW vehicle, that is, another 3 series but never anything bigger than that. Once I got a 128 and the last time I serviced my car, they gave me a new X2. If they did not have a BMW loaner, then I would get something from a local Enterprise office (about 2 miles away; shuttled there by BMW service) with no out-of-pocket cost; other than the high price of paying for dealer service. I was working about 8 miles from the service center and live about 18 miles away. Uber credits probably wouldn't have been too convenient, nor would depending upon a BMW service shuttle. Note that I did not buy my car from that BMW dealer (Mountain View, CA), nor another dealership I used a couple of times (Santa Clara).

The several times I've been into Tesla Service I waited for my car. Two were tire related issues and the other was a rear window alignment problem. Neither required excessive time for the repair but they said they did not have a loaner and would give me Uber credits, which I declined. I think the longest I waited for the work to be finished was 90 minutes. The remaining service issues have been performed by a ranger in my driveway. A few years ago I would have been more inclined to have a loaner but since I'm retired now, the potential loss of my vehicle for a couple of days doesn't faze me too much.

Last edited: