Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You all have about talked me out of a Tesla altogether...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar experience. Posts here scared me half to death. Bought a Model Y anyway, have had zero issues, and then got an M3 to de-ICE the household. No issues with the M3 either.

I drive our MY 525 miles one-way every 6 weeks or so to visit grandkids and love FSD by the way.

This forum is a great place to post issues and get advice or help …… so most of the conversation is about issues. However the vast majority of owners never post an issue here …..because they don’t have any.

If you decide to get a Tesla, you will likely not be disappointed. You could have issues (as you could with a BMW …. or any other car), but you probably won’t.

Beware of FIA (Forum Induced Anxiety)

So while my Plaid isn't perfect, the build quality is good enough. I've stopped obsessing over panel gaps as mine are pretty good. Since I did the track pack brake upgrade it really has improved a lot of things about the car that were issues for me. I am not ever going to want massaging seats or some of the other features that car companies are offering to coddle me with. How well the overall drivetrain, seamless charging experience and generally how well the tech works helps me enjoy the car every day.
This is good news. Been dreaming for one for a while now.
I agree, drivetrain is more important than massaging seats.

(moderator note)

I am going to remind people that BOTH Antagonizing someone, and responding in kind are not allowed here. While we dont allow personal attacks, and that means both directions (antagonizing someone, and the response to that antagonization).

I have removed a few posts from this thread that meet the above criteria.

This public warning will be the only warning issued, if I feel a need to take action on content after this it wont come with any further warnings (and if you are a repeat offender the penalty will likely be higher).

Reactions: AZAV8R
Kudos to you for considering an EV! I've had my 3 for 5 years now, over 55K miles. Anything that needed work was able to be done within the warranty period. As for battery degradation, originally 310 miles, yesterday at 50% my range was listed as 157 miles! Of course, there is not an exact correlation, and in the winter the range is less. Driving cross country has been a breeze, and as a woman I LOVE not having to get gasoline.

As for FSD, I'm not sold on it. I have EAP, which does about 90% of what FSD does. I tend to use it only on long trips, because until it responds like a weasel on cocaine, I can't trust it in crazy Nashville traffic. BTW, a friend of mine is in the process of selling his ICE BMW to get a performance Model 3.

Reactions: Dan1978
Having been a BMW and MB technician before and now exclusively dealing with Tesla, I would still pick the Tesla over the BMW. That's your choice of course, but I feel like you've been done a disservice if by coming to this message board, you want a Tesla less than before. I don't think that is the objective or sentiment of this forum. In my own opinion, people come here to post about their problems, but when everything is fine, they don't post about it. You are not getting the full picture by reading thread after thread of complaints!

how come?

As others have said, the golden rule of the internet is that 90% of the negativity comes from 10% of the grumpiest people. So always consider that the negativity you see is just the tip of an iceberg of overwhelmingly satisfied customers.

A new BMW will be a very nice car but it will be in the shop fairly often and it will depreciate like a rock. Sure, it will be superior to the Model 3 in some ways, such as fit and finish. If you are going to be driven up the wall by a rattle or two or an uneven panel gap, maybe avoid the Model 3 for now. The Highland update should fix these problems. As for FSD, it works and it's great on a trip, but it's not at the point where I'd let it sway my decision. A non-beta FSD completely changes that, but we don't know how far off that is.

For me, these are very superficial issues when compared to the overall ownership experience. I am no EV zealot - I came from a '22 Civic Si which I loved driving, and an '01 Mercedes E55 AMG, which I loved looking at. But the Model 3 is working on a different level entirely. It has the driving experience of a BMW 3-series with the reliability and cost of ownership of a Corolla.

I would even recommend looking at the base Model 3 RWD. It has plenty of range and the LFP battery is more user-friendly (charge it to 100% all the time) and long-lasting than a nickel battery. It's not a rocket like the Performance but it is far from slow. I recently took a 1000-mile road trip and cruised at 80-90 the whole way, with many broken-yellow passes that took me well into triple digits, (straight empty desert highways, nothing dangerous). The car performed beautifully. I missed the V8 sound of my E55 but otherwise the car performed beautifully. It was even a great handling car on the twisty mountain roads. I'm sure the Performance is a blast but at 25% more expensive it better be. The RWD is also lighter than the performance since it has a smaller battery and lacks a front motor, so it is surprisingly nimble for a car of its weight.

Either way, RWD or Performance, you're getting a car that is better in many ways vs a new 5 series, and at a much, much lower cost of ownership.

Last edited:
This will probably be the most Junior of the responses out there, but, I just recently discovered this forum group and so far everyone has been incredibly helpful.

I've owned my Model 3 LR for about 16 months and have put almost 37,000 miles on it so far. I've enjoyed plugging it in at night and having it ready to go in the morning. I've only used Superchargers a handful of times and those were mostly during road trips (Each road trip around 2000 miles).

I came at the purchase from mostly a financial standpoint, most of my previous cars have been mid-level Camry's. I've always liked the comfort and reliability. The Tesla cost almost $15k more than my usual car purchase but based on the cost of charging and what I get paid in mileage for work, the increased monthly payment was far less after factoring the cost of charging vs. cost of fuel in the camry plus mthly car pmt. The fact that the car has all of the features and more of a BMW or Mercedes in higher price points was a bonus. I did not purchase the Full Driving mode and the extended auto pilot was not available to me so standard auto-pilot is what I have. The auto pilot is definitely better and smoother than the Cruise Control's I've used in other cars including one decent level Lexus. But, it also freaks out when a large truck is nearby at times.

I've had nothing but success with my Tesla so far, it's required no maintenance and is smooth every day. The only thing that I'm dealing with right now as luck would have it is a changing amperage when home charging. Will see if it's something that requires a service call or not.

At any rate, I'm a believer, and highly recommend especially if the supercharger network is important to you. When we were on our road trips I was absolutely stunned and ecstatic with how the system takes you from one charger to the next, tells you how many stalls are available, how long you may be there for, etc. Took any worries about my first road trip in the car completely away and in some ways made the trips even more fun (especially with in car games for the the family, etc.)

Good luck with your decision making!

This will probably be the most Junior of the responses out there, but, I just recently discovered this forum group and so far everyone has been incredibly helpful.

I've owned my Model 3 LR for about 16 months and have put almost 37,000 miles on it so far. I've enjoyed plugging it in at night and having it ready to go in the morning. I've only used Superchargers a handful of times and those were mostly during road trips (Each road trip around 2000 miles).

I came at the purchase from mostly a financial standpoint, most of my previous cars have been mid-level Camry's. I've always liked the comfort and reliability. The Tesla cost almost $15k more than my usual car purchase but based on the cost of charging and what I get paid in mileage for work, the increased monthly payment was far less after factoring the cost of charging vs. cost of fuel in the camry plus mthly car pmt. The fact that the car has all of the features and more of a BMW or Mercedes in higher price points was a bonus. I did not purchase the Full Driving mode and the extended auto pilot was not available to me so standard auto-pilot is what I have. The auto pilot is definitely better and smoother than the Cruise Control's I've used in other cars including one decent level Lexus. But, it also freaks out when a large truck is nearby at times.

I've had nothing but success with my Tesla so far, it's required no maintenance and is smooth every day. The only thing that I'm dealing with right now as luck would have it is a changing amperage when home charging. Will see if it's something that requires a service call or not.

At any rate, I'm a believer, and highly recommend especially if the supercharger network is important to you. When we were on our road trips I was absolutely stunned and ecstatic with how the system takes you from one charger to the next, tells you how many stalls are available, how long you may be there for, etc. Took any worries about my first road trip in the car completely away and in some ways made the trips even more fun (especially with in car games for the the family, etc.)

Good luck with your decision making!
You will enjoy the frequent OTA updates as 2023.26 arrived today. Some nice tweaks.

Hi everyone,
I was going to purchase a M3P in a year or so (waiting for Project Highland at a minimum) so I found this forum to learn and be around a bunch of other Tesla enthusiasts. After reading the posts I'm now leaning towards a 2024 BMW 5 series.

I was/am most excited about FSD. I don't think anyone else comes close to Tesla in this regard. But after reading what feels like a constant stream of threads regarding issues with Tesla vehicles in general I'm concerned that this not worth the hassle. Everything from battery degradation, paint issues, fit and finish issues (I mean there's check lists on things to go over when you receive the car because of all the issues), problems getting service, issues with random errors, etc. I'm wondering I should just purchase 5 series.

I know that people tend to complain on forums versus the people who are happy not generally posting and I'm hoping that's what this is.

Honestly, I would have thought asking on this forum would have been like asking on MacRumors if I should be an iPhone of some android version but judging by the posts, maybe not?

Any unbiased thoughts / comments would be appreciated... am I just reading too much into all the negative posts and these are a small percentage relative to the actual number of vehicles sold? Or am I going to be constantly dealing with minor issues from the car?
Did we talk you back into buying one?

If it is like my problem that my used TM3 had, 40 amp available but maxed out at 16 or 32, it is the PCS module. Mine was fixed under the factory warranty:

Did we talk you back into buying one?
You all have definitely put my mind at ease. It's still about a year out purchase for me since I currently have a company car and only drive my personal car once a month or so. Even so I'd be waiting to see "Project Highland" It's likely I will go with either the LR or P. I like the way the P looks better ( I know it's not hugely different) but also find it a bit curious that it comes with performance tires and not all season but seems like a relatively easy fix.

I truly do appreciate all the responses.

Late to this party, but just would add that I own BMW 1M, Porsche Cayman GTS, but I see my 2020 M3P modded by Mountain Pass Performace and after dumping the lousy 20" wheels/tires and replacing with Apex 18" and 265 Michelins, as my most awesome performance vehicle, not to mention by far the most practical in terms of useability, cost (practically nothing!) and servicing. I liked it so much that I got a 2022 3 AWD (last of the expensive ones!) for my wife and gave her GTI to my son. Even if you don't appreciate the absurd performance capabilities of these, they still drub the other guys IF you have home charging which makes so easy. Have had zero problems 40,000 miles in except for them telling me that my low volt battery on the 2020 was on its last legs and they came out and replaced under warranty. The paint LOOKS better than any of the bimmers I've had (almost NO orange peel), just a bit on the thin side as re chips, tho, again, no worse than the 1M. Panel alignments good, not perfect. I think the things are a bloody steal

"... find it a bit curious that it comes with performance tires and not all season but seems like a relatively easy fix."
Summer tires generally do better for performance as they tend to be softer and stickier. I happen to live in a climate where summers can be worn all year. Obviously its not the best setup for most of the country. Butt these particular Michelin PS4s offer the best combination of performance / longevity that I've ever seen, or ever even thought was possible.

Summer tires generally do better for performance as they tend to be softer and stickier. I happen to live in a climate where summers can be worn all year. Obviously its not the best setup for most of the country. Butt these particular Michelin PS4s offer the best combination of performance / longevity that I've ever seen, or ever even thought was possible.
Thanks!

Owning a Tesla is like being married to a Supermodel who uses embarassingly bad grammar. You tend to obsess on what's wrong and think, "Oh WHY can't you just be perfect?!"

Through three years of ownership, my Tesla never went in for service, was an absolute blast to drive, and allowed me to do things I could never do with an ICE car (warm it up in my garage), "refuel" at home, hardly ever use the brake pedal, and silly stuff like Summon and Light Show. Yeah I griped about panel alignment and FSD progress, but on balance, my old Model 3 and my new Model Y are more satisfiying than ICE car I've owned and that includes 4 Audis, 3 BMWs, 2 MBs, 2 Jags and 2 Saabs.

Owning a Tesla is like being married to a Supermodel who uses embarassingly bad grammar. You tend to obsess on what's wrong and think, "Oh WHY can't you just be perfect?!"

Through three years of ownership, my Tesla never went in for service, was an absolute blast to drive, and allowed me to do things I could never do with an ICE car (warm it up in my garage), "refuel" at home, hardly ever use the brake pedal, and silly stuff like Summon and Light Show. Yeah I griped about panel alignment and FSD progress, but on balance, my old Model 3 and my new Model Y are more satisfiying than ICE car I've owned and that includes 4 Audis, 3 BMWs, 2 MBs, 2 Jags and 2 Saabs.
Totally agree
I call it, being immersed in the Tesla ecosystem which is two generations ahead of the competition in every way

Tesla,
Please keep evolving via OTA, your infrastructure and support, new models and refreshes
Amazing

I figured I owe it to you to tell you about my Tesla M3P (June 2020) - the best car I have driven (but not owned!). The good news is it’s a lease and it’s going back, to be replaced by a MY.

Prior to the M3P I had a F80 M3 and before than a E92 M3, so familiar with BMWs as well! I currently also have a 981 Cayman GTS.

Issues I have had:
- Modem dead on arrival (took 10 days for Tesla to get me in to replace that on a brand new car)
- Doors (white) painted a few shades of grey darker than the rest of the car (it’s a lease so I didn’t get them resprayed which is what Tesla was happy to do).
- Floor ripped off the bottom of the car whilst driving at 5 mph through water in a car park
- At least two rattles inside the cabin since delivery that I can’t isolate (random bolt and bracket found in rear door card on delivery!)
- Water ingress through the boot lid (some silicone applied by Tesla)
- Water ingress in the frunk (awaiting Tesla service)
- Once the computer screen died whilst driving (no speed data etc). It rebooted itself but took at least a minute to come back on
- Standard operation of auto-wipers (beyond terrible)
- Filters changed (smelt rotten after 2 years!)

I am quite envious of all those who have come on here and said they have had zero issues. Tesla has sorted the issues with mine out (although they wanted to leave the modem for 2 months as they had no slots to book me into in Bham). Only the threat of returning the car made them expedite the process.

Overall I maintain it’s the best car I’ve driven to date. It’s super fast (beyond any ICE car I could lease), convenient and fun. For the theatrical experience I have the Porsche. I would definitely get one again, as I am, hoping the new one isn’t built on a Friday afternoon 😜