Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Auto park gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 car would offer me auto park maybe once every 5 weeks
My new 2018 one proffers the park every other day.
Oddly enough the older car’s version seemed more efficient in its angles and speed.
But love the feature anyway and use it as much as possible.

It popped up for me this morning, and the perpendicular parking spot was next to bushes and there was no car on the other side of the spot. I haven't activated Auto-park in a while because it was slow, and I like to park at the end so I park close to the no-car-neighbor side, instead of being centered between the lines.

It's proven difficult to get it to trigger when we're at real parking spaces. Most of the time the "P" appears when we're in the middle of traffic, passing a sidewalk, or other areas which the software incorrectly believes is a parking space.

Before purchasing our first Tesla in early 2013, I had a Lexus LS 460 with auto-parking. When you were at a parking space, you would move a box on the display indicating where you wanted the car to park, and the software would maneuver into the space.

If Tesla can't get the parking space detection to work reliably, it might be better to do something similar with their auto-parking, when you're going to back into a space, you could point to where you want your car to park on the display - and then let the software figure out how to safely get into the space.

Mhhmmm autopark... I can't use it as much as I would prefer too because unlike others mine hardly ever works, but my wife's 85D never fails to let us know when it can autopark...but the few times it has worked its moved faster each time it autoparked, once we had family over at our house and everyone thought it was okay to park in my spot in my driveway so I had to park on the street and I decided to use autopark (between my brothers RRS and my sister-in-laws Ford Explorer) but It ended up bumping the curb and cancelling autopark (which I thought was hilarious at the time:D)

Reactions: Silicon Desert
You have to be close to another car for it to activate. That’s for perpendicular or parallel parking. I suggest driving around in a parking lot and testing the distances so that you can get better feel for when it activates. That’s what I did and can get it to fire just about every time that I wanted to.

Im with WhiteX as well, my autopark asks me if i want to park at a stop sign or red light all the time, but NEVER when i actually need it.

I am quite lost on how to even get it work, as it seems practically useless.
Amen on that one. The only time my MX seems to allow auto park is when I am at a traffic light with cars all around me. How difficult is to to know I'm on a public street and not show that?

You have to be close to another car for it to activate. That’s for perpendicular or parallel parking. I suggest driving around in a parking lot and testing the distances so that you can get better feel for when it activates. That’s what I did and can get it to fire just about every time that I wanted to.
yes, I have noticed the same thing. However, I don't care to drive around the Home Depot parking lot in circles until that thing triggers. :rolleyes: