Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is autopilot worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(No offense to monkeys intended or implied.)
- HEY!! I resemble that remark! ;)

I am now quite spoiled by AP. As others have said (many times, over many threads), in stop-n-go traffic, it's a mental life-saver!! Before AP... I would arrive at home/work after 45 minutes of huffing exhaust, totally spent. Now, with AP, I get home (or to work) and feel somewhat refreshed!

I am also an AP nerd. I use it whenever the little gray wheel appears! I'm a firm believer that Tesla is using info from my drives to make AP better for everyone. One caveat: If I'm using AP on an 'iffy road' (i.e., poor lane markings, etc.), then I never take my hand off the wheel, nor do I get complacent in my 'driving diligence' - being ready to take over when necessary (which happens fairly often on crappy roads).

However, I am extremely impressed with how AP functions overall! Is it perfect? No, certainly not. But when you learn it's limitations... it's just SO awesome!

Is there somewhere online that confirms the current trial upgrade price? It's not that I don't believe the prices above but looking for something more official to document

They don't actually list the trial prices anywhere online. The page that describes the trial just mentions a generic "discount." For all I know, it could be personalized. In my personal situation, SR+, no AP, no FSD. If it helps, here's a screenshot of my upgrades order page. I've got about 50 days left on the trial:

autopilot_prices.png

• Informative
Reactions: BourneM3 and VQTRVA
As I wait patiently for my car, I initially declined autopilot a time of order, mainly due to cost.

My question is, is autopilot worth the price? Just wondering if I should add it to my order.

Thanks in advance.

Model 3/SR+/black/white/RWD

HELL NO.

No way is it worth $5000 or even $2000.

When it comes down to $1000 I < might > consider it.

I don’t understand why anyone would get a Tesla without it.
I'm happy for everyone who likes AP, but I'll throw a vote into the "not worth it" bin. Regenerative braking has been the single greatest improvement to my commute. The daily stress is pretty much gone, and I'm not sure how much more appreciably AP could help that. I think TACC is pretty nifty, but it's not worth the price. The autosteer was way too fussy for me, and the act of making sure the car knew my hand was still on the wheel was a far more mentally taxing task than just steering myself. I couldn't get auto lane change to work, but I hear it's better now (my AP trial was about 5 months ago). Any of the parking/summon stuff seems like parlor tricks that I wouldn't actually use.

Reactions: Scott7
So far I'm in the not worth it bin too. I included AP in my order as I thought it might be useful after trying it on the test drive, but it just seems too fussy even though many others driving the same roads (I-90 around Seattle) think it's great. I also hate how autosteer will always center the car in the lane even when the lane is just temporarily widening for an on-ramp to merge in! In most cases the vision should be seeing it narrow back down and not do this - maybe if it detects a car merging behind it would not, but I don't know.

BTW I don't see any trial for FSD offered if you already bought AP, and my account just shows a buy for $7k option even though I've only had the car 17 days. If HW3 improves AP significantly I'd probably buy FSD when on sale again.

So far I'm in the not worth it bin too. I included AP in my order as I thought it might be useful after trying it on the test drive, but it just seems too fussy even though many others driving the same roads (I-90 around Seattle) think it's great. I also hate how autosteer will always center the car in the lane even when the lane is just temporarily widening for an on-ramp to merge in! In most cases the vision should be seeing it narrow back down and not do this - maybe if it detects a car merging behind it would not, but I don't know.

BTW I don't see any trial for FSD offered if you already bought AP, and my account just shows a buy for $7k option even though I've only had the car 17 days. If HW3 improves AP significantly I'd probably buy FSD when on sale again.

It's an odd choice on Tesla's behalf. The trial webpage states "Owners who have not already purchased an Autopilot package or experienced an Autopilot trial, will qualify for the 60-day trial." So if you refuse both AP and FSD, you get a 60 day trial of both and the opportunity to add them both for $9,000. But if you add AP, you get no trial whatsoever and would need to pay $7,000 on top of the $3,000 you already paid for AP for a total of $10,000...

Reactions: dlinsley
thanks @willow_hiller Yeah my pricing will be higher....even so, that's a lot

For me, that's $12K if I purchase during the trial or $10.6K if I purchase prior to delivery

I think few people will say that the software isn't a good value. Especially since the software stays with the car when you sell it on. But at the end of the day, only spend as much money as you're comfortable spending. We opted against AP and FSD so we could maintain our emergency savings fund, and now we get to wait until after the April 22nd presentation to make a decision on purchasing it.

My only remaining worry is that prices will increase after April 22nd! Since Elon's been emphasizing that all owners who ordered FSD will receive the HW3 hardware install for free, I'm worried what that means for those of us who haven't ordered FSD! :p

I think few people will say that the software isn't a good value. Especially since the software stays with the car when you sell it on. But at the end of the day, only spend as much money as you're comfortable spending. We opted against AP and FSD so we could maintain our emergency savings fund, and now we get to wait until after the April 22nd presentation to make a decision on purchasing it.

My only remaining worry is that prices will increase after April 22nd! Since Elon's been emphasizing that all owners who ordered FSD will receive the HW3 hardware install for free, I'm worried what that means for those of us who haven't ordered FSD! :p

What is HW3 hardware?

Edit - NVM, just googled it (Hardware V3)

What is HW3 hardware?

It's short for "Hardware 3," I believe. Elon Musk started calling it "FSD computer." It's an upgraded computer that's meant to enable the future FSD features. Here's some more information: https://electrek.co/2019/04/09/tesla-autopilot-computer-5-capacity-current-80/

The only tricky part is that nobody knows whether new cars will have the new computer pre-installed, or require a retrofit. Some Model S and Model X owners have already confirmed they got the new computer with cars built around the end of March, but the general consensus is that Model 3s built after April will have the new computer (and much of that batch is being shipped off to Europe and China).

Reactions: BourneM3
As far as I understand, the $3,500 price is only available during the 60 day trial. If you purchase after the trial expires, it will go back up to $4,000.

Also the trial FSD price is a real steal. Only $500 more than ordering it at the time of purchase. That goes up to $7,000 if not ordered within the trial period.

If AP and FSD are not chosen at the time of build, then do those cars comes with a free 60 day trial? I ordered AP, but not FSD, so I am wondering whether it will come with 60 day FSD trial at the time of delivery? Thanks!

If AP and FSD are not chosen at the time of build, then do those cars comes with a free 60 day trial? I ordered AP, but not FSD, so I am wondering whether it will come with 60 day FSD trial at the time of delivery? Thanks!

Unfortunately no. It seems like the trial only activates when you order neither.

• Informative
Reactions: Rajraj22 and VQTRVA
As I wait patiently for my car, I initially declined autopilot a time of order, mainly due to cost.

My question is, is autopilot worth the price? Just wondering if I should add it to my order.

Thanks in advance.

Model 3/SR+/black/white/RWD

Like you, I declined at configuring. After getting the car last summer, I tried the trial version while taking a long road trip across the US. I bought FSD with the promotion that just ended. The version I trialed did not have NAV on AP, so that is a nice touch, although I use and think of it more akin to a driver assist as opposed to the implied name Auto Pilot. If Tesla comes through with the stated plans of also being able to navigate while city driving, my personal feeling is that it will have a big resale value too.

Reactions: willow_hiller