Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Battery and Performance Software Unlock back? for 100D and P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if it is already mentioned. I just didn’t see in the searches.

It seems software unlock for 100D is back. Highly doubt it is a smaller size battery for 310 miles of range.
The homepage doesn’t say we can add it later. It should be able to, right?

Hah, I see. I at first thought that thread was about no more 75s, just all 100D.

Anyway, 25 miles for 8K is steep. On the flip side, it makes more sense to go with 310 mile range in financial perspective. Also everyday 100% charging should be ok for the software locked.

From previous locked / capped battery options for model S.... people are generally very happy about capped batteries that retain the ability to have high supercharge rates right up to their 100%.

All the cells are there in a capped battery. They all charge, they're all used to drive the car. It's not like you're hauling dead weight around. They just don't charge as high per cell as they could.

Tesla encourages and supports charging capped batteries up to their 100%. And it's even safe to leave a capped car sitting at 100% SOC for overnight.. something you wouldn't want to do with uncapped. You can think of the cap as a battery high-end buffer/limiter that protects the cells. (Much like there is a lower end cap protecting over-draining batteries, so they don't actually hit zero charge at 0%).

The odds of actually needing that extra 25 miles is very low these days with charging infrastructure now available.

Tesla has been known to uncap in emergencies, as a nice comfort in times of dire need.

And you can pay to uncap later. Say, when battery degradation after 6 years has got you down.. can restore the car to "new level again".

Last edited:
No they don't. You certainly can, and it's not going to cause any issue, but Tesla has never "encouraged" nor "supported" this behavior. If you set the slider to 100% on a software-locked car, it will complain at you every third or so charge.

..and is something you can safely ignore. It's just Dumb code - tells the same thing to everybody regardless of car. "If slider == 100 then warn"

There has been report on here from owner getting word from Tesla, "it's OK to always charge a capped car to 100%".

If I had one, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to do so.

The bonus is, you could say, technically speaking, that... a capped car charges faster to 100% at a supercharger than an equivalently rated uncapped car.

My last Tesla was a software locked 60D. I charged it to 100% daily due to my long commute. I unlocked it around the 35k mile mark and my battery degradation was on par with what others that hadn't charged to 100% over a similar amount of miles were seeing. A number of Tesla service people told me over the years that I had it that there was no issue with charging to 100%.

Anecdotal I know but that was my experience. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing again if I had a locked 100D.