Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is better to have Tesla do the solar + Powerwall or use a local installer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Az_Rael, you said you could see the reduced output in your data. Can you please expand on that? I have a 6.5kw system but have only generated 4.5kw peak. Mind you, i've only had the system running for a week and it's November. But i have no visibility to system performance beyond the high level data provided through the app. Thank you.

I wasn't able to deep dive the data, but the My Solar City Powerguide does give you more historical info than the app. I have two inverters and two solar arrays (one on my south and one on my east roof). The data in My Solar City tracks them separately, so I was able to see that I was getting much closer to my peak kW output on the south array vs the east one. So same weather, they were performing differently. Since I was looking at peak output, not total, the different orientations shouldn't have been a factor. They just hit peak at different times of day.

Anyway, after being blown off my Tesla a few times, I ended up buying a small FLIR attachment for my phone since I had read that they could be used to troubleshoot solar. Took this image where you can see the 6 panels that are not working.

20181109_115144.jpg

Even that info wasn't enough for Tesla, I just got lucky that a customer service rep agreed to escalate my case.