Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is delivery of new Tesla 3 2022 RWD at 46k in Nov-Dec worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020-2019 used Model 3 SR with 46k miles at 40,000 vs 2022 New Tesla Model 3?

After seeing this Youtuber's video I got some thinking to do.

Apparently Tesla dropped prices on used inventory but whats the catch? Is saving $6000+ really worth it to downgrade to older models? My concern is with older on lithium battery you cannot charge regularly to 100% and for somebody who rent and doesn't have own garage with charger, having extra miles of range seems valuable. Another thing I find useful is new models can support CCS charging with adapter. So when Tesla opens up their chargers to all EV, having backup access to regular DC supercharger stations like Electrify America might be useful?

I am aware SR may qualify for partial EV tax credit if delivered after Jan 1 but it seems gamble to delay delivery.

My concern is with older on lithium battery you cannot charge regularly to 100% and for somebody who rent and doesn't have own garage with charger,

I have said this in other threads, but if this were my situation, I would not own an EV. I dont have the patience for it. One of the biggest benefits is being able to "fill up" where you park for a long period of time, and the above situation turns finding fuel into a negative, from the "positive" it is when you can fuel up where you live or at a minimum where you work.

You definitely have more patience than I do, in this regard.

I have said this in other threads, but if this were my situation, I would not own an EV. I dont have the patience for it. One of the biggest benefits is being able to "fill up" where you park for a long period of time, and the above situation turns finding fuel into a negative, from the "positive" it is when you can fuel up where you live or at a minimum where you work.

You definitely have more patience than I do, in this regard.
Actually my workplace offers charging. Where I live gas price push above $6 per gallon. Currently I own 2013 Corolla that while is paid off for a while, it requires a lot of maintenance. Lately it needs suspension replacement because when it even hits a small pothole, it makes lot of noise and impact.
My biggest drive for upgrade is getting adaptive cruise control, backup camera, smoother ride daily to work, though I realize I can get that with any hybrid. I was actually interested in new Toyota Prius a few months ago before I made deposit but they were all sold out and unavailable.

To answer your thread question, I wouldnt personally buy a vehicle that only had 4k miles of its warranty left, for "only" a 6k discount over brand new.

I thought you were concerned about charging, since you mentioned it in your first post (the part I quoted), but it sounds like you are fine with needing to charge at work. Used car prices are dropping. You will likely find a better example with less miles if you keep looking, but I would buy new if thats the best example you can find (6k discount for 46k miles).

Saving $6k to not only get an older model, but also an additional 46K miles, doesn’t seem worth it to me. Used car rates are generally higher than new car rates, so you may find that difference in total payments (over the life of the loan) is even less far off than $6K.

Like others have mentioned, used cars values are dropping pretty hard. There should be some better deals out there, and more coming, as car dealers are forced to lower prices on existing inventory.

I'd definitely delay for a new 2023. Additionally, with luck you might see AWD prices be fanagled down to the point where they get the tax credit, only to have a post-purchase charge to enable features that were software-disabled initially.

I am thinking now if I should refuse, was budgeting with bigger downpayment at the time I placed order on July 30 by selling Amazon stock only for them to crash from average $130-140 to $90 per share (yeah I know should had sold some then). Thinking over now if I should continue to take delivery with minimal deposit and just prepay in future when market bounce back or hold on. It would be insane for Tesla to increase the base price even higher, especially with economy heading into recession. We may see government slow down hikes as recession effect takes care of inflation. And in next year it will be likely eligible for half of EV tax credit and as you said even LR may come out at reduced price with full tax credit, and all deliveries will be 2023 instead of 2022.