Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is FSD refundable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, Tesla is doing the upgrades now. My local service center has done several. Apparently they are starting with the X and doing them according to VINs (this according to a friend who works there). Ss (like mine) will come later.

They got you fooled good. They are currently upgrading all S and X with MCU2, and select Model 3 with AP 2.5 No S or X with MCU1.

• Helpful
Reactions: TrevTremaine
There was a compatibility issue with MCU1 and HW3, but I believe they got it resolved.

I would be really surprised if MCU1/AP2.5 don't start within the next 2-3 months.

Keep in mind that as of right now HW3 doesn't really do much that HW2.5/HW2 doesn't do. So it's not like there is any immediate need to upgrade.

If Tesla isn't able to upgrade your vehicle this year than I think your entitled a refund.

There was a compatibility issue with MCU1 and HW3, but I believe they got it resolved.

I would be really surprised if MCU1/AP2.5 don't start within the next 2-3 months.

Keep in mind that as of right now HW3 doesn't really do much that HW2.5/HW2 doesn't do. So it's not like there is any immediate need to upgrade.

If Tesla isn't able to upgrade your vehicle this year than I think your entitled a refund.
Very reasonable analysis. OP isn’t interested in reason though. Their sole purpose on this forum is to whine and complain about MCU1.

• Love
Reactions: SO16
Very reasonable analysis. OP isn’t interested in reason though. Their sole purpose on this forum is to whine and complain about MCU1.
Maybe they believe in the "squeeky wheel gets the greese" and hoping Tesla will refund FSD since they can't deliver it 3 years later. Or, maybe the complaining is just venting, a release mechanism by those tired of waiting. Tesla should expect that some percentage of customers who feel cheated will keep on venting on forums until they move onto a different car or find something more annoying to vent about.

Musk continues to talk about the improvements in FSD - the preview in holiday release - and the upcoming "feature complete" release.

Last year, Musk promised FSD owners would get Early Access to new software releases.

What's happening is that most S/X owners have MCU1/AP2 or MCU2/AP2, and are not getting the new FSD functionality.

Musk has also stated (though we've never received any official written commitment from Tesla) that FSD owners would be getting the new AP3 processor upgrade for free - and get access to the full FSD software.

As Tesla continues to release FSD updates that no longer work for FSD owners with the older hardware, Tesla should at least provide an estimate of when we should expect to get our vehicles upgraded.

How much longer until our 2018 X (MCU2/AP2) will get the promised HW3 upgrade?

How much longer until our 2017 S (MCU1/AP2) will get the needed hardware upgrades to run the latest FSD software?

3 months... 6 months... 1 year...

And agree, if Tesla isn't able to upgrade all AP2/FSD vehicles to fully support the latest FSD software within the next year, Tesla should offer a refund - and because Tesla had failed to fulfill their promise that "all vehicles have hardware to support FSD", they should also provide a one-time trade-in credit for the purchase of a new S/X that can run the FSD software.

Musk continues to talk about the improvements in FSD - the preview in holiday release - and the upcoming "feature complete" release.

Last year, Musk promised FSD owners would get Early Access to new software releases.

What's happening is that most S/X owners have MCU1/AP2 or MCU2/AP2, and are not getting the new FSD functionality.

Musk has also stated (though we've never received any official written commitment from Tesla) that FSD owners would be getting the new AP3 processor upgrade for free - and get access to the full FSD software.

As Tesla continues to release FSD updates that no longer work for FSD owners with the older hardware, Tesla should at least provide an estimate of when we should expect to get our vehicles upgraded.

How much longer until our 2017 S (MCU1/AP2) will get the needed hardware upgrades to run the latest FSD software?

And agree, if Tesla isn't able to upgrade all AP2/FSD vehicles to fully support the latest FSD software within the next year, Tesla should offer a refund - and because Tesla had failed to fulfill their promise that "all vehicles have hardware to support FSD", they should also provide a one-time trade-in credit for the purchase of a new S/X that can run the FSD software.

I agree... the whining would lessen if Tesla would provide some information, instead of silence.