Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is hope in sight for our USS-less cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the update yesterday. Saw it was available, then downloaded and installed all from the app. Only tried it a few times backing into my usual spot in the garage. I have an air compressor, bicycle etc behind where I park. It was going crazy, telling me to stop while the car was still sticking out. Had to ignore it while it fussed. Haven't tried turning it off yet. I hope I can. Would be nice if it had a learning feature so after seeing the same stationary objects it's squawking about over and over and driver still parks safely, it would just STFU or adjust its warnings? Maybe we can call it STFU mode? :)

Last edited:
Got the update yesterday. Saw it was available, then downloaded and installed all from the app. Only tried it a few times backing into my usual spot in the garage. I have an air compressor, bicycle etc behind where I park. It was going crazy, telling me to stop while the car was still sticking out. Had to ignore it while it fussed. Haven't tried turning it off yet. I hope I can. Would be nice if it had a learning feature so after seeing the same stationary objects it's squawking about over and over and driver still parks safely, it would just STFU or adjust its warnings? Maybe we can call it STFU mode? :)
I think a STFU mode is very on-brand for Tesla, so fully expecting it in the new and improved vision-powered park assist!

• Funny
Reactions: Benito1283
I think a STFU mode is very on-brand for Tesla, so fully expecting it in the new and improved vision-powered park assist!
Yep...

This is my somewhat cluttered garage as I back in.
8-EBFCC6-D-B98-B-40-B7-A1-A6-4-D94592656-E2.jpg

This is where the car is telling me to STOP. Problem is, the front is still hanging out.

4-F3-CC3-D6-1418-493-B-841-E-878812055-FCB.jpg

Same position as above, side view.
2211-DB37-FE68-42-E1-A913-AAF601845-CE3.jpg

Where I need to be....fully parked. Warnings go crazy at this point.

E9-D44-A5-C-FB1-B-44-DE-84-F5-3-F214-E56-E3-C4.jpg

E24-F8702-AD77-4538-B008-4618-D1-EEEBBA.jpg

PS: Sometimes it thinks the side of my garage is a tractor trailer. Side view pic above.

8-A985-DD3-58-C6-43-BA-80-D4-B3-B566-EBE118.jpg

Reactions: glovelace
What is STFU mode?

Yep...

This is where the car is telling me to STOP. Problem is, the front is still hanging out.

PS: Sometimes it thinks the side of my garage is a tractor trailer. Side view pic above.

I got updated too on my MYLR. Based on your photos, I think it works pretty well. It warns you and intensity is higher as you get closer to objects.

My USS Land Rover does the same. Park assist is safety assistant feature and not safety replacement.

If we expect this feature to help blind people to park a car, we probably expect too much. In addition, this is v1.00.

What is STFU mode?
Shut The F&#(K Up!

Back to the comments of the most recent poster. Looks like the system is basically doing its job. I have "normal" sensors and get the tractor-trailer image in my garage as well.

Not sure why you back in to your garage. Cable too short? Get an aftermarket EVSE ("charger") with a longer cable. Would make your life much easier.

Rich

I think it works pretty well. It warns you and intensity is higher as you get closer to objects.
See pic two above. It was already telling me to stop completely. There was a fair bit of distance to go. I understand that it's V1.0... that's why I'd love if it would would remember a location you always park like HOME setting and STFU a bit, unless something is out of place. Just wishful thinking
Not sure why you back in to your garage. Cable too short? Get an aftermarket EVSE ("charger") with a longer cable. Would make your life much easier.

Rich
Nah, this is where my wall charger is. Rear, center of garage. The cord is long enough to reach if I pull in forward but it's just as much work going around things and folding it back up, as it is backing in. I might just leave the cord unfurled and hang it in the left of the entrance. The Tesla is the only EV.

B3-C49-AF4-9-BEC-4507-B566-643-FA32-D5-ADF.jpg

See pic two above. It was already telling me to stop completely. There was a fair bit of distance to go. I understand that it's V1.0... that's why I'd love if it would would remember a location you always park like HOME setting and STFU a bit, unless something is out of place. Just wishful thinking

Nah, this is where my wall charger is. Rear, center of garage. The cord is long enough to reach if I pull in forward but it's just as much work going around things and folding it back up, as it is backing in. I might just leave the cord unfurled and hang it in the left of the entrance. The Tesla is the only EV.

B3-C49-AF4-9-BEC-4507-B566-643-FA32-D5-ADF.jpg
Suggestion based on my USS version so not certain. Mine has settings in the car software for narrow/wide garage and distance to warning. Have you set these?

Yep...

Honestly, cars with ultrasonic sensors, like mine, would react to the situation in your garage in much the same way. It certainly wouldn't let you pull in as far as you say you need to without the STOP alert popping up.

Suggestion based on my USS version so not certain. Mine has settings in the car software for narrow/wide garage and distance to warning. Have you set these?
Haven't seen any options for that. I think vision just sees whatever it sees. Not customizable.
Honestly, cars with ultrasonic sensors, like mine, would react to the situation in your garage in much the same way. It certainly wouldn't let you pull in as far as you say you need to without the STOP alert popping up.
I was going off the wife's BMW, I guess. The USS is pretty straightforward and it turns into a continuous tone when you are truly near. I do think it will improve with time and updates tho.
You guys are lucky, your kinda works. I downloaded the 23.6.9 software for the 2023 Model Y, and it prompts with Park assist unavailable. Surfed the web for answers ands many are getting the same error message as me, Park Assist unavailable. Very Aggravating.
Did you try a soft reboot?

Haven't seen any options for that. I think vision just sees whatever it sees. Not customizable.

I was going off the wife's BMW, I guess. The USS is pretty straightforward and it turns into a continuous tone when you are truly near. I do think it will improve with time and updates tho.

Did you try a soft reboot?
Soft and a hard reboot. And I power down the car for 5 minutes and 3 hours, and nothing. parking access unavailable.

i have only had a few opportunities to use it as it’s been 1 day…

i was fairly favorably impressed…

in my garage with a bunch of stuff in front of the wall it seemed pretty accurate…measurements in inches popped up that seemed correct..

in a parking space with a curb it really put me too far out..:the red line was overlapping the front end of my hood even though i was ?18 inches away

Thunderstorming really bad here in ATL. Pulled up at work and noticed "parking assist disabled"... it was working all weekend. Tried to park and it remained disabled until all of a sudden, it kicked in. A few seconds later, it was gone again. I'm wondering if the water on the cameras is causing this. Didn't have time to wipe off cameras and try again.

Thunderstorming really bad here in ATL. Pulled up at work and noticed "parking assist disabled"... it was working all weekend. Tried to park and it remained disabled until all of a sudden, it kicked in. A few seconds later, it was gone again. I'm wondering if the water on the cameras is causing this. Didn't have time to wipe off cameras and try again.
There's going to be a thriving aftermarket business on Amazon selling camera-friendly wipes/ cleaning pads for rainy days!