TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is insurance holding me up?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by jonquiljo, Nov 16, 2019.

1. jonquiljo

jonquiljo Supporting Member

I wonder if the lack of completion of insurance is going to hold me up in getting assigned a VIN, etc.

Everything in my profile is set up, cash payment, no trade, etc. - but my order page is always is at "insurance" - in "things not yet completed."

Now I had a car but sold it a while back when I thought I was really going to get my car when Tesla said it would. My policy is "in limbo" - as I had my insurance agent put the policy on hold until I had a new car to assign it to. Tesla, on the other hand does not seem to understand that in California, all it takes is a call once a VIN is assigned for me to get a policy issued or changed.

I guess Tesla wants all your ducks in a row to give "priority VIN assignment" - and insurance is part of that.

I can upload a photo of my old insurance card and tell Tesla that this will be transferred when I have a new car to transfer it to. Or I can upload that card and say nothing? As long as Tesla doesn't care that another car is listed on the policy. Only the insurance company knows that the policy is "on hold". If I tell Tesla my policy is "on hold", they will assume that the policy is cancelled. I can call my agent Monday, but I would bet that she will say to wait until a VIN is assigned. That is the way "dealers" do it - i.e. - on the phone when you are buying the car. Tesla seems to want more than that.

Any ideas of what I can do? I have the "on hold" policy that will show an old car that I no longer own, I have my wife's auto policy - that won't even be transferred at all to a Tesla. My agent will not likely issue me a new policy with Tesla on it and no VIN number.

I just want to make Tesla think I am ready to drive off with a car. I am ready - but they don't understand that. I don't dare call my SA as it will likely make Tesla think I have a problem - when I don't. I couldn't be the only one with this issue. What Tesla wants can't always be done. TIA.

2. stevenm3

stevenm3 Member

You just have to upload a card that has your name on it and is valid. New car's vin doesn't have to be on there.

3. George702

George702 Member

It is quite odd they want to see insurance of your current vehicle, at least thats what I thought. What you currently have should be of no concern to them. Just tell them. It's not like they're not going to not sell you a car.

4. Skotty

Skotty 2014 S P85 | 2020 3 P19"

From the order info page:

Proof of insurance is required to take delivery, and must be valid for the next 60-90 days. If you're registering in these 12 states, insurance can be provided for an existing car. In all other states, insurance must be provided for the Model 3.

• Arizona
    • California
    • Hawaii
    • Illinois
    • Indiana
    • Maryland
    • Minnesota
    • Ohio
    • Oregon
    • Tennessee
    • Virginia
    • Washington

5. jonquiljo

Yeah. I was a bit stupid and sold the car a month ago - then told my agent that I had sold my car. The policy is "on hold." It's valid, but not in effect until it's activated.

If I show that to Tesla, they will probably think that I don't have insurance.

Perhaps it is easier to just upload my old insurance card and Tesla will not know that the policy is on hold.

6. Idkorcare

Idkorcare Member

I got my vin this morning with no insurance info added, I did complete my payment method section last night but i think its just coincidence

7. huangm777

huangm777 Member

I’ve also been “stuck” at the insurance step, though I uploaded my existing card some time ago. They gave us the opportunity to check our account status at the end of the info seminar today, and I mentioned the insurance problem—and the SA said he needed to punch the numbers in the system. Which he did for me.

However, my account page is still the same, at the insurance section open by default.

My guess? It probably doesn’t matter. You just need to have valid insurance by delivery.

8. goletaspring

goletaspring Member

Mine is the same way...I've been worrying it'll affect getting a vin. My sa said he can see it, but it seems strange...guess just have to wait and see.

9. jordanM3

jordanM3 Member

My SA told me to hold off entering my trade-in and doing my loan till I get VIN. I ordered SR+ White with White Sport wheels on 10/27 and no VIN. I am worried since I haven't done anything I won't get a VIN.

10. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

Just upload your last insurance certificate. Nobody looks at that stuff anyway. It’s just checking a box.

11. M3 Dream

M3 Dream Member

Exact same for me today. Honestly I do not think it matters. Plenty of members here have received a VIN with no insurance at all.

12. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

Add Kansas to that list. In Kansas, you have 14 days to get a new policy written to specifically cover a new car purchase. All the car dealership or Tesla needs to verify/document is that you have current insurance that could transfer. Now, if you had a beater car before with only liability insurance, you would need to contact your agent ahead of time to arrange for full coverage, assuming you would want full coverage on the brand new vehicle. The automatic coverage that you get is the same as your existing car(s).

13. Skotty

Skotty 2014 S P85 | 2020 3 P19"

Despite being in Missouri where it claims proof of insurance needs to be for the Model 3 specifically, I got an email today from a Tesla employee requesting proof of insurance on our current car. So...no clue why they would want that, but whatever. Probably a good idea just to attach current insurance on account regardless of state laws since Tesla seems to want it either way.

14. jonquiljo

Yes, with all the “little drones” that Tesla hires, I think they don't really know what they need - much less want.

I really get the impression that Tesla is putting people into “fast track” spots - those who have all their ducks in a row and can be easily processed. Thats what I would do if I were Tesla - process the really easy orders first. That way if someone had a problem with insurance or a Trade, it wouldn’t take an hour or two to get it settled. The “easy” customers will be quickly out the door.

I think whether my guess is accurate or not, it’s probably a good idea to be ready for them. I’m sure that all VIN assignment is matched by computer - and computers are set to do quick and easy first.

15. themillaz

themillaz Member

We had to upload our insurance card three times before it got recognized for whatever reason. We uploaded the same document every time and on the third time it worked?o_O