Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it normal for the p100d to drop power after initial launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned this 2018 model S p100d for a few months and I've noticed that whenever I activate the ludicrous plus mode I am not able to get finished doing a pull before the battery seems to overheat and the car starts to cut power. When I activate the toybox "warp" mode I'm able to see that the power drops right away after reaching its peak kw and then above 90 mph it's severely low which you can see in the video. I'm wondering if this is normal or if Tesla has just neutered this mode to where it's only for a 0-60 and if this is something I should schedule an appointment with a service center so they can look at my battery monitoring system or something like that. I still have my basic warranty till the end of may so if it is an issue I would want to get it looked into
Video of launch
Would be great to know if anyone's experiencing the same thing.

I am having the same issue with my 17 p100dl. Similar power drop off after 80. Mine has 86k miles. How many miles does yours have?
^35k.
I wonder if it has something to do with the age of the coolant in the battery. After so long it just not functioning as efficiently as it would when new. Looks like they used to recommend replacing it every 5 years but don't necessarily do it anymore.

It's true that the pre-refresh cars drop off more with higher speeds, though I see your power starts to drop a bit before you even hit 60. At 75 you're down to around 500hp. As has been stated, you'll want the highest SoC possible for the most sustained power, and though you don't have a lot of miles on your car, power also starts to drop off as the car ages. I don't think coolant has anything to do with it. A 1/4 mile time would be helpful. When new, the P100D could run upper 10s.

tesla-model-s-plaid-delivery-day-perfect-power-curve.jpg

I unfortunately don't have any quarter mile times here's a few more videos of me launching it the first is with just max battery power (no warp) and the second is before ludicrous plus fully heated where I run it out to 100mph. You can see the power doesn't drop until a little later with the max battery but if I don't heat the battery then it keeps almost full power throughout the whole pull. I was hoping I'd be able to use the mode to do a quarter mile run but if I am drag racing it looks like, I shouldn't heat the battery all the way and should just activate battery heat for the launch Mode. You can also see how fast the temperature gauge is going up during the acceleration. I'm also able to get the cars battery to 50°C after driving spiritedly for about 10-15 min in the normal ludicrous mode.

Fact: pre-facelift cars are just bad :) get a new Model S LR if you want good cooling and sustained performance.
For sure. I was just expecting the car to be able to do at least one quarter mile run in ludicrous Plus before power is cut. My warranty for the car expires at the end of the month so I was going to take the car in to Tesla if this wasn't how Ludicrous plus should work, but it sounds like it's just how the older cars operate.

The older systems were for sure not designed for sustained performance. The power drop is in relation to the speed.
I know that, I was just expecting the car to be able to complete a single quarter mile run after being heating with no driving before the run. This launch I did before the car had cooled down from a previous launch and you can see the power is severely limited due to the battery being "cooling" which is what happens if in the middle of the run if I heat the battery to 50°c before the launch. When I mash the pedal in ludicrous mode even going 100 mph I get 400kw easily unlike if I heat it so I believe it's the temp/cooling but it sounds like this is normal for my year of car.

Last edited:
^there is 0-80 ludicrous mode no launch or battery heat as you can see way more consistent power than I get with max battery. It's sounding like this is normal though so I won't need to take it in. Maybe I will try a run with full change and the AC off otherwise I will just avoid L+, besides using it to enable launch mode.

I just warmed the car up to ludicrous plus warp mode 50°C and turned on the car the fans got crazy loud even with climate off but the side louvers did not open unless the AC was turned on, which is why early when I looked at the car they were. Should the side cooling louvers be open in ludicrous plus when heated and ready, if so looks like that could be part of the issue I'm having. They also shut when the battery is "Cooling" (swapping from warp to max battery) if I turn off the AC.