Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it normal to hear banging while supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to a supercharger for the first time and I heard 2-3 bangs coming from the undercarriage and felt like it was under my drivers side. I only added 20% to get me home so those bangs were in between then. Is this something I should bring it in for or is this part of supercharging? I did precondition but was only 8 minutes from the SC so maybe that was the problem? (2018 M3 LR)

Solution
temperature differences, dilation, and battery vents. As others say, normal and happens more in cold weather since there's a bigger temperature change in the battery.
temperature differences, dilation, and battery vents. As others say, normal and happens more in cold weather since there's a bigger temperature change in the battery.
Thank you and everyone else who knew this lol. I'm not gonna lie it had me a bit worried. Especially since when I went to make this post I checked the discussions that come up and didn't see anything about this so I thought it was a unique problem lol. I do have another question. My little brother has a 2021 M3P and he has the option to turn on both seat heaters from the bar at the bottom of the screen. Mine doesn't give me that option. I assumed even tho mines older we'd have the same software. Is there something I need to do?

Attachments

• IMG_20231106_211423.jpg
    IMG_20231106_211423.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0
I think you have to long-press one of the bottom bar buttons in order to customize which ones are display (if I remember correctly).
Yeah I did. You can see it in the picture. There front defrost, rear defrost, left seat heater. And that's it. So annoying idk why it wouldn't be there. Obviously not something I wanna bring it to Tesla for but I just dk how to fix it @GtiMart do you have any ideas how to fix it?

Upvote 0
Yeah I did. You can see it in the picture. There front defrost, rear defrost, left seat heater. And that's it. So annoying idk why it wouldn't be there. Obviously not something I wanna bring it to Tesla for but I just dk how to fix it @GtiMart do you have any ideas how to fix it?
The passenger seat only appears on the display when you have a passenger.

I’m guessing it was just you in your car.

Upvote 0
I went to a supercharger for the first time and I heard 2-3 bangs coming from the undercarriage and felt like it was under my drivers side. I only added 20% to get me home so those bangs were in between then. Is this something I should bring it in for or is this part of supercharging? I did precondition but was only 8 minutes from the SC so maybe that was the problem? (2018 M3 LR)
On my 2018 M3P, I heard about a replacement battery compartment "vent" that could be installed to replace the original vents that minimized the sound of the "bang" when Supercharging. I requested the service and it was performed rather quickly at the Service Center at no cost. It did seem to make the noise much less noticeable, although I still hear a bang periodically, but it's significantly less pronounced. You might want to see if this is still available.

Upvote 0
On my 2018 M3P, I heard about a replacement battery compartment "vent" that could be installed to replace the original vents that minimized the sound of the "bang" when Supercharging. I requested the service and it was performed rather quickly at the Service Center at no cost. It did seem to make the noise much less noticeable, although I still hear a bang periodically, but it's significantly less pronounced. You might want to see if this is still available.
Really?! How long ago did you do it? Was it under warranty and that's why it was free? Cause mines not under warranty anymore but I'm super interested

Upvote 0
The passenger seat only appears on the display when you have a passenger.

I’m guessing it was just you in your car.
What's funny is before i asked I read a discussion that said this same thing. But the poster said "no even with someone in the seat doesn't come up" so I assumed it be the same for me. But you are absolutely correct lol. My OCDish would still prefer it to be there always, I like uniformity 😭

Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0
My OCDish would still prefer it to be there always, I like uniformity

Not just that, but when the passenger gets out and that icons goes away, it hides the state of that seat heater (but doesn't shut it off). Likely making it very common for people to have their passenger seat heater left on with no one sitting there.

It didn't used to be that way... that came in v11 software. The previous software (v10), in my opinion, was better and more closely followed the "principle of least astonishment".

Upvote 0

Well don't call Tesla Customer support.

All they will suggest is a double scroll wheel reset. lol.

Upvote 0
Not just that, but when the passenger gets out and that icons goes away, it hides the state of that seat heater (but doesn't shut it off). Likely making it very common for people to have their passenger seat heater left on with no one sitting there.

It didn't used to be that way... that came in v11 software. The previous software (v10), in my opinion, was better and more closely followed the "principle of least astonishment".
Yeah I really would of rathered it just stay lol. Do you ever feel you seats getting hot even when they are off? Cause it keeps happening to me

Upvote 0