Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it ok to charge to 85 or 90% on a daily basis for a 160 mile commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. I recommend using scheduled departure so that it charges to the set value just before your regular departure time. That way it's not sitting with high % for very long each day.

Also, if you have the option to charge the vehicle at work that might be a great option to keep the vehicle topped up.

I commute 160 miles a day and only charging my car to 80 percent isn’t enough. Is it ok to charge to 85 or 90 percent on a daily basis? I have a 2023 performance model 3.
Yes it is ok.

How much do you arrive with after the day?
The mow end is safe as well as the high end, so you only need the amount needed to keep the range anxiety away.

This is actual model 3 cells (the first gen, you have the second gen) cycled.
If you look at the lowest curve, it still holds up to 75% capacity after 1000 cycles 100-0% and this with a higher load than you use in the car.

1000 full cycles 100-0% would be 250K miles, right?
IMG_3580.jpeg

It depends on if that is 160 miles each way or 80 out and 80 back. Big difference.

Then it depends if there is any
opportunity to charge economically while at work.

I would only put enough in to reliably get home again with 15% left for a detour. If detouring a lot then probably a bit more for good measure.