Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it ok to manually push down the charging port door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it ok to manually push down the charging port door closed or not?I did this twice today. Looked in owners manual but can’t find anything mentioning don’t manually close charging port door or it may get damaged. Thanks.

Solution
You can push it down, without any ill effects. You just don't want to put 10 tons of force into pushing it down. The second it feels a bit of force, it will close on its own. Basically, just tap on it and it will soft close by itself.
Sort of similar to a CD / DVD / Blue ray player tray. With that being said, I have seen plenty of those broken because people pushed them too hard (instead of pushing the button).

I still watch movies on a 4k blu-ray player, and I have one that is one of the best ones you could get for home use, and its not made anymore. I dont push on the tray to close the disc holder when I put a movie in it, I push the button. If you push straight, and soft, it pulls itself closed, but I still dont push the...
I just got it today. But wasn’t sure. Most likely it is not recommended. It shouldn’t damage anything right?
Well... it has a motor in it (that pops it open) so its not something I would recommend making a habit of. If it didnt close for some reason, sure (then you would put in a service request to fix it), but I personally think its a bad idea to push on something manually that closes automatically.

Upvote 0
Let the charge port cover close on its own or tap the charge port icon on the Tesla screen or in the Tesla app to open/close the charge port.

Usually the opposite scenario unfolds. Users charging their Tesla vehicle with the Tesla J1772 adapter attempt to remove the Tesla J1772 charging adapter by pressing and holding the trigger of the J1772 connector and pulling. When you do this the J1772 adapter will remain in the charge port as the J1772 connector disconnects. After a few seconds the charge port will attempt to close but will be stopped by the J1772 adapter. This will not in the short term damage the charge port cover but over time it might. (LPT: If you press and release the trigger on the J1772 connector when you pull out the connector the Tesla J1772 adapter will usually release from the charge port and remain connected to the J1772 adapter.)

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
You can push it down, without any ill effects. You just don't want to put 10 tons of force into pushing it down. The second it feels a bit of force, it will close on its own. Basically, just tap on it and it will soft close by itself.
Sort of similar to a CD / DVD / Blue ray player tray. With that being said, I have seen plenty of those broken because people pushed them too hard (instead of pushing the button).

I still watch movies on a 4k blu-ray player, and I have one that is one of the best ones you could get for home use, and its not made anymore. I dont push on the tray to close the disc holder when I put a movie in it, I push the button. If you push straight, and soft, it pulls itself closed, but I still dont push the tray, I push the button.

I say this to explain why I would also recommend to someone asking "is it ok to push it" that I wouldnt make a habit of it, myself. I do agree with everyone saying "its probably fine if you barely tap it to get it moving", but since it closes on its own, in this case it isnt really necessary.

Reactions: E90alex
Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you. I feel better now
Well... it has a motor in it (that pops it open) so its not something I would recommend making a habit of. If it didnt close for some reason, sure (then you would put in a service request to fix it), but I personally think its a bad idea to push on something manually that closes automatically.
ok, thank you🙏

Upvote 0
When I first got my Y they gave me a quick lesson on how to use most everything that differs from a standard car. One of them was to never close the door manually as it could break it. Also said quite a few cars had to have the door repaired. Tempting to close it manually though as we are used to doing so with gas fill doors.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
Upvote 0