Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it okay to charge to 100% if I am immediately going to use it right away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the BMS incorrectly determines that the LFP battery charge is depleted, i.e. when there is still XX percent remaining then the Tesla vehicle may suspend charging the low voltage battery while protecting the high voltage battery by conserving whatever charge remains in the high voltage LFP battery. Once the low voltage battery is depleted the Tesla vehicle stops running, won't restart.

• Informative
Reactions: Hiline
How much will you drain going home? The answer also depends on temperature. Batteries degrade faster at higher temperatures.
20% increase in battery degradation at 86 degrees versus 68 degrees.
Charge to 90% in winter and 80% when temps above 80, unless you don't care about battery degradation.
I'm reading this article and I don't see anything about battery degradation, only battery discharge (which varies depending on temperature). Can you clarify where you're seeing stuff about battery degradation?

Does it cost more to charge from 90 to 100 than it does say for example 80 to 90 or 70 to 80?

Or is it overall cheaper to say 20-30 since it’s faster? Is it faster at lower rates?

Thanks.
No it’s about the same. Getting to 100% might be slightly more costly due to the taper and the overhead when the battery is “calculating,” which is probably related to balancing, but not sure. Here you are adding energy very slowly but the overhead of around 200W-250W (very roughly) remains fixed.

Everywhere else it is roughly the same.

No it’s about the same. Getting to 100% might be slightly more costly due to the taper and the overhead when the battery is “calculating,” which is probably related to balancing, but not sure. Here you are adding energy very slowly but the overhead of around 200W-250W (very roughly) remains fixed.

Everywhere else it is roughly the same.
Thanks so overall in theory it does take longer to charge from 90 to 100 we established that and because of that then therefore it’s more expensive than going 10 percent at a lower rate (30-40) etc

So I know that Tesla recommends charging only to 90%, but is that for those of you that have home chargers and it will sit at over 90 for a very long time?

I only charge at public chargers and I have to drive away from them just to go home so in my case would it be okay to charge to $100 since I am going to use that battery right away?

So I know that Tesla recommends charging only to 90%, but is that for those of you that have home chargers and it will sit at over 90 for a very long time?

I only charge at public chargers and I have to drive away from them just to go home so in my case would it be okay to charge to $100 since I am going to use that battery right away?
Wow! 88 replies telling you all kinds of stuff, answering questions you didn't ask. The answer is Yes.