Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it okay to drive the Model 3 hard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after a bunch of hard launches will they dial back my car to "save the battery"?
Will there be an ESA for the Model 3?

I suffer from compulsive first car at red light drive like it's stolen disorder. There is no cure as I have a fever for more accelerator.
Yes the car will dial back as it overheats. One day I pounded my car continuously on a mountain road with constant, to the floor, accelerations on every turn. At first the front fan started to be heard, then it became louder, then I started getting a dot where the indicator for battery power draw is located. Then two dots then three. With each dot the power was being dialed back until the entire line was dotted. At that point I was left with a wet noodle. But it recuperated pretty quick. I just gave it a 60sec rest and the dots started going away.

I inched slowly out of the Fremont Delivery parking lot like a cautious driver then floored it till I hit 140mph.
BTW, back to your crazy speed and the possibility of a reckless driving violation, I found California Vehicle Code 22348b VC - Driving over 100 MPH on freeway from a law firm (I'm not a laywer).

You can look up the various CVCs (e.g. 22348, 23103, 23582, etc.) yourself like these: Law section, Law section and http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=23582..

BTW, back to your crazy speed and the possibility of a reckless driving violation, I found California Vehicle Code 22348b VC - Driving over 100 MPH on freeway from a law firm (I'm not a laywer).

You can look up the various CVCs (e.g. 22348, 23103, 23582, etc.) yourself like these: Law section, Law section and http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=23582..

The legal consequences won’t matter much to the family of the person/people he kills because he has decided to be immature and reckless on public roads, rather than taking the car to an actual track. Let’s hope when he eventually does crash, he doesn’t hurt anyone else and is lucky enough to walk away with a more mature perspective.

Reactions: cwerdna
I agree that the suspension is to soft.

I was offered the option to soften my suspension on my April delivery M3. So are they putting in softer from the factory now? I decided to keep the tight suspension (and stock thinner rear seat cushions for camping mode friendly) as it's a one time change and I love how this car dances like we've been married for decades.

Come to think of it, I've never had steering issues on any car I've had except for the '63 Buick that I restored myself. I think the reason is 2 fold:
1) I never turn the wheel unless they are also rolling, and
2) I never slam into the stops L or R all the way.

Unless you hit curbs or pot holes hard, I don't see any reason for front-end failures (except for the recall you mentioned). But I will extend the warranty based on a few comments. Ya, I'm on the ruff side of this thread so it's a good offer for me.

I always did wonder why other Teslas owners drove like grandma. You don't just buy a steak and look at it (I think that was from George Carlin).

That was a one time thing. I didn't realize as I got to 140 in just several second. Now I know to only floor it breafly for no more than 2 or 3 seconds. This car makes less noise at 140 than my old car made at 40.