Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it okay to replace door puddle lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 RWD Model 3 - AU.

I recently replaced the front puddle lights on my Model 3 with some after market projector style lights. They are working well and haven't noticed any issues so far, but I wanted to check there aren't any issues for the electronics of the car and solid state relays in having them.

They're not overly bright, so don't assume they draw much current, but just wanted to get a second option on it. The windows dropping when I disconnected the OEM lights got me nervous 😅

Screenshot_20220327_201634.jpg

2022 RWD Model 3 - AU.

I recently replaced the front puddle lights on my Model 3 with some after market projector style lights. They are working well and haven't noticed any issues so far, but I wanted to check there aren't any issues for the electronics of the car and solid state relays in having them.

They're not overly bright, so don't assume they draw much current, but just wanted to get a second option on it. The windows dropping when I disconnected the OEM lights got me nervous 😅

View attachment 786557
No issues wit my Model Y x 2 years.

The logo tho is not like the current Tesla logo.

20210306_104634.jpg

Reactions: alex_au
OP, the only thing I have seen posted here was already covered by @sightman. There have been a few reports of windows not closing properly when people have aftermarket puddle lights, but thats not widespread, and it seemed to be from "cheap" ones.

Keep an eye on your windows and if they start not closing, buy a replacement pair.

On a side note (not moderation content), I have never understood why some people feel so strongly about what others do with their car. Why someone wants to put aftermarket puddle lights (or bag their car, or put a wide body kit on it, or any of the other myriad of things people do to individualize their cars) is up to them.

The only ones that even slightly bother me is when someone does something like blacking out their brake lights, which makes them dimmer (and easier to be hit).

This is not unique to tesla, as its a complaint you can find on any car forum, but I have never understood it. Just because its not right for me, doesnt mean that someone else cant enjoy it (whatever it is).

The only ones that even slightly bother me is when someone does something like blacking out their brake lights, which makes them dimmer (and easier to be hit).

This is not unique to tesla, as its a complaint you can find on any car forum, but I have never understood it. Just because its not right for me, doesnt mean that someone else cant enjoy it (whatever it is).

100% not sure why more cars don't get "pulled over" for tinted break lights. I've hear of more pulled over for window tint. smh

I got my puddle lights from Abstract Ocean: "T" logos for the front doors and bright leds for the rear doors. The only problem I have is that the rear door puddle lamps turn on ONLY IF the front door on the same side is CLOSED. So if the front door is opened (with the "T" logo lamp on), opening the rear door will not turn on the rear puddle light at all. If I then close the front door while the rear door is still open, the rear puddle light pops on.

I think I read in a thread a long while back that it had something to do with the bright leds needing/drawing additional power but I never ended up following the rest of the thread to see if there was either some resolution to it or otherwise.

Reactions: alex_au