Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is it possible to get a service appointment done without them doing a software update on the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most updates included necessary bug fixes, in additon to changes the ower many not wish. Tesla has an incentive to continously modernize their software, but I also understand while some would wish to maintain their status quo.
Owner may request that the software not be updated, but I imagine that Tesla could make a case justifying voiding your warranty.
as i’ve already said, i’m past the warranty. this isn’t a warranty fix.

as for maintaining the status quo, that has nothing to do with this. i just want a version of the software where scrolling through favorites via the scroll button on the steering wheel actually works. i use them on every drive for the entirety of most drives, so it’s a pretty big deal.

the last time they broke this it took them over a year to fix it. it makes driving the car more unsafe, since you have to continually look at the screen to switch channels rather than just keeping your eyes and hands on the wheel and using the scroll button. that’s more of a safety issue to me than the stupid warning lights being in a bigger font that i’m going to see once when the car starts up and never again for that drive.

Reactions: zkbtm3
not sure why automated testing being in place for a company as large as tesla (where safety is of utmost concern) is funny.

i love my car for the most part (and i also have powerwalls in my house), but as a software engineer myself, them constantly breaking stuff like this makes me angry. even more so when elon continually whines about how hard he works, and how hard he expects his employees to work - and yet they can't put procedures in place to keep stuff like this from happening. and in the meanwhile he's more worried about the $44 billion he set on fire buying a social media platform than putting those procedures into place to stop this from happening at tesla.

just look at how many things they broke in the first six months at twitter, without worrying about how any changes they made would affect the rest of the code base. it's obvious that's how they do things, and it's infuriating. they only care about pushing new features, and don't care about what they break in the process. it's getting to the point now where i can't trust that they won't break something mission critical for a vehicle simply being primarily a vehicle while they're rushing to make FSD work.

for something that i use to get myself and my family from point A to point B every single day, and keep me safe in the process, that's unforgivable.

Last edited:
as i’ve already said, i’m past the warranty. this isn’t a warranty fix.

as for maintaining the status quo, that has nothing to do with this. i just want a version of the software where scrolling through favorites via the scroll button on the steering wheel actually works. i use them on every drive for the entirety of most drives, so it’s a pretty big deal.

the last time they broke this it took them over a year to fix it. it makes driving the car more unsafe, since you have to continually look at the screen to switch channels rather than just keeping your eyes and hands on the wheel and using the scroll button. that’s more of a safety issue to me than the stupid warning lights being in a bigger font that i’m going to see once when the car starts up and never again for that drive.
As noted by others, add a note in the service request. Also use a sufficiently large piece of paper taped to the screen that says to not update the software to a new version. It is up to the SC however if they honor it or not and sometimes up to the individual technician (who may forget and update it anyways). There are cases of SCs honoring the request, but also cases where they don't.

I don't remember if it was at SCs or mobile service, but in the past, a faux update is staged on the car during service, which the technician clears after service is done. This may cause a downloaded main update to install. Not sure if this remains the case.

Reactions: crackers8199
not sure why automated testing being in place for a company as large as tesla (where safety is of utmost concern) is funny.

i love my car for the most part (and i also have powerwalls in my house), but as a software engineer myself, them constantly breaking stuff like this makes me angry. even more so when elon continually whines about how hard he works, and how hard he expects his employees to work - and yet they can't put procedures in place to keep stuff like this from happening. and in the meanwhile he's more worried about the $44 billion he set on fire buying a social media platform than putting those procedures into place to stop this from happening at tesla.

just look at how many things they broke in the first six months at twitter, without worrying about how any changes they made would affect the rest of the code base. it's obvious that's how they do things, and it's infuriating. they only care about pushing new features, and don't care about what they break in the process. it's getting to the point now where i can't trust that they won't break something mission critical for a vehicle simply being primarily a vehicle while they're rushing to make FSD work.

for something that i use to get myself and my family from point A to point B every single day, and keep me safe in the process, that's unforgivable.
An update on the Model S years ago broke the heated steering wheel. Nothing about the HVAC or steering wheel or anything related was an obvious part of the patch. That's what set off alarm bells for me. There was clearly not any kind of regression testing. That's minimal development process stuff I even put in my hobby projects. Since then, I've been very cautious about applying updates, and I usually wait to see what pops up here before hitting the update button.

An update on the Model S years ago broke the heated steering wheel. Nothing about the HVAC or steering wheel or anything related was an obvious part of the patch. That's what set off alarm bells for me. There was clearly not any kind of regression testing. That's minimal development process stuff I even put in my hobby projects. Since then, I've been very cautious about applying updates, and I usually wait to see what pops up here before hitting the update button.

the reason this happens is because you have people (like those in this thread) that think us noting this stuff as important is "funny." elon thrives on being worshipped like that, so he doesn't care about making sure stuff actually works before pushing updates.

An update on the Model S years ago broke the heated steering wheel. Nothing about the HVAC or steering wheel or anything related was an obvious part of the patch.

An update caused my alarm to go off 3 times in 2 weeks when the heat was turned on remotely. Started happening right after installing an update, stopped happening after installing the next update. Those were the only times in 3 years of ownership that the alarm has gone off.

An update caused my auto trunk to only open half way most of the time. Also fixed by the subsequent update.

An update caused my charge port door to play games... closing immediately after opening, or closing very quickly after unplugging. Fixed by the subsequent update.

An update caused my GPS location to no longer be precise, which had to be fixed by replacing the wiring harness (under warranty).

An update caused my "phone as key" to go from working 100% of the time to only working about 80% of the time.

An update took away the boom box, which really was the whole reason I bought the car. Can't play the ice cream song throughout my neighborhood anymore. Life is over!!!

An update hid my defogger / defroster buttons behind a menu IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER and the update that allowed them back on the bottom bar didn't come until summer.

An update has caused many owners to lose their driver profiles. Not me though, thankfully.

I'm certain there are many more cases. Those are just the ones that affected me or that I'm aware of. In most of those cases, these changes weren't mentioned in the release notes.

Why do they lack a bug report channel and prioritization to fix bugs quickly? Why don't they add regression tests to check that each fixed bug stays fixed?

Developers adding toys and games could instead be fixing bugs and writing tests rather than adding more bug risk and adding software management and QA load.

That said, the custom lock sound toy is really useful because hearing the walk-away lock toot was hit and miss.

Why do they lack a bug report channel and prioritization to fix bugs quickly?
Bug reports are pretty much done by via Service in the app. There is also a "bug report" mechanism if you use the voice commands:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-85DDA8E1-596D-4980-9C17-C4F4E0FAA280.html

However, people say that only puts a log entry in the car locally (so service technicians can look it up) and doesn't get sent to Tesla HQ.
Why don't they add regression tests to check that each fixed bug stays fixed?

Developers adding toys and games could instead be fixing bugs and writing tests rather than adding more bug risk and adding software management and QA load.

That said, the custom lock sound toy is really useful because hearing the walk-away lock toot was hit and miss.
I'm pretty sure they have regression tests, just that Tesla use so many different parts and don't follow model years, so there are going to be certain combination of parts that slip through the cracks even after testing. Also sometimes issues that show up are only temporary related to not rebooting the car after an update (so some routines are still in a middle state), sometimes a pre-existing fault is revealed only because a part started getting used in a new way, or sometimes it is a coincidence that something failed after an update (but not the update's fault).

Last edited:
the reason this happens is because you have people (like those in this thread) that think us noting this stuff as important is "funny." elon thrives on being worshipped like that, so he doesn't care about making sure stuff actually works before pushing updates.
It’s quite funny that you would assume anyone laughing at silly posts is “worshipping” Elon.
Easier to laugh at mental gymnastics you post than attempt to retort to your knowledge in the gymnastic field.