Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is it possible to get a service appointment done without them doing a software update on the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
my windshield is cracked and i need to have it replaced, but i'm worried they're going to accept the software update that is waiting for my car. i refuse to update past 2023.44.1 due to them reintroducing the bug that causes the steering wheel to not cycle through favorites in siriusXM.

has anyone ever been able to make this happen? i can of course tell them to absolutely not do the update, i'm wondering if there's any chance they'll listen or just do it anyway...

my windshield is cracked and i need to have it replaced, but i'm worried they're going to accept the software update that is waiting for my car. i refuse to update past 2023.44.1 due to them reintroducing the bug that causes the steering wheel to not cycle through favorites in siriusXM.

has anyone ever been able to make this happen? i can of course tell them to absolutely not do the update, i'm wondering if there's any chance they'll listen or just do it anyway...
Tesla claims firmware update is a warranty requirement. Some Service Centers may want to comply with your wish of no updates but they won't guarantee if the updates some how happened.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Go to one of the other glass companies like Safelite.

i've thought about that, but i've seen horror stories about safelite replacing the model 3 windshield. that plus the fact that they're $800 more expensive than tesla directly made it a no-brainer to just go to tesla direct...yes, insurance is paying for most of it, but that still seems insane to me.

Reactions: father_of_6
i've thought about that, but i've seen horror stories about safelite replacing the model 3 windshield. that plus the fact that they're $800 more expensive than tesla directly made it a no-brainer to just go to tesla direct...yes, insurance is paying for most of it, but that still seems insane to me.

Many people have claimed Safelite charged them an extra $500 calibration fee that was totally fluff. I'd get mine done at Tesla.

Note that there are two recalls (one for the Autosteer driver attention stuff, and the other for the font size of brake-related displays). 2023.44.1 is earlier than both recalls, and both recalls are fixed in 2023.44.30.13 or later.

Because these are recalls, even a service center that may ordinarily be willing to abide by your wish of not updating the software may refuse such a request in this case where recalls are involved.

Past forum posts revealed that replacing the windshield without doing a software install left the rear view mirror electronics uninitialized or not programmed to properly communicate with the rest of the car.

The mirror assembly has HVAC sensors (at least in older cars) so features like auto defogger won't work without programming it.

At best you can get them to reinstall the same version, but given the safety recalls that @3sr+buyer mentioned, that seems unlikely.

• Disagree
does reinstalling from the service mode reinstall the existing version or one that is already downloaded? i.e. could i do it myself if i have the glass installed by safelite?

i’m aware what i have is older than the recalls, but since they can’t hire competent software engineers and release software without breaking something existing, i’m staying where i’m at.

I'm not sure, but it might work to use Service mode to reinstall the version you have.

Tesla should do more testing across the range of models before release, but I think they've been fixing more bugs than adding lately. I really like a lot of the recent improvements.

Reactions: rpiotro

My guess, and that's all it is. You're SOL unless you use a 3rd party windshield company.

Tesla could be liable for an future accident if your car goes though the Service Center and they don't push the recall update to your car.

Reactions: father_of_6
I'm not sure, but it might work to use Service mode to reinstall the version you have.

Tesla should do more testing across the range of models before release, but I think they've been fixing more bugs than adding lately. I really like a lot of the recent improvements.

the infuriating thing about this one in particular is that it did work, then when they broke it it took them over a year to fix it and it was only resolved for six months until they broke it again.

Most updates included necessary bug fixes, in additon to changes the ower many not wish. Tesla has an incentive to continously modernize their software, but I also understand while some would wish to maintain their status quo.
Owner may request that the software not be updated, but I imagine that Tesla could make a case justifying voiding your warranty.