Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to swap old bumper for new one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You absolutely can swap the old bumper with the new one. Several months ago there was an AP2 test mule that was the old body but it had a new bumper.

I pointed this out as well, and was told that the test mule, while the same color as the body, got a new hood.

Hey, I wish you guys ALL THE LUCK in the world. I have two P85s that I would love to do this with, but when I almost did it with another SoCal user, our research showed it was going to be a lot more work than a simple bumper and grill swap.

I pointed this out as well, and was told that the test mule, while the same color as the body, got a new hood.

Hey, I wish you guys ALL THE LUCK in the world. I have two P85s that I would love to do this with, but when I almost did it with another SoCal user, our research showed it was going to be a lot more work than a simple bumper and grill swap.
That seem highly unlikely that Tesla would have bothered to paint the new hood and not the bumper. I know the latches are different between the two hoods but the body lines match up so I will need more proof that it does not work.

I am hearing straight from Telsa that it should fit....Ill find out shortly. I just picked up the new lighting - I have a local shop that does crazy updates and Ive never stumped. If they can do it, Ill post it...if they can't, Im suspecting that no one can.
What did you find out? I'm about to do this swap on a wrecked car that needs a new nose anyway. Am told that the hood is the same except on mid-2016 and newer (facelifted) cars it has no insulation, so the frunkliner gasket seals directly against the metal.

We're very much aware of those claims. This will definitiely not be plug and play but we think the mods required are very doable. Once we give it a whirl, and if we succeed, we'll post lots of photos and info on what needs to be done.

As I think Karstyle is kaput, and my $1,500 deposit to them was made on a debit card and therefor doesn't qualify for a chargeback, I've already spent $1,500 on this mod, so I want to hold costs down and end up with something that uses the Tesla facelift fascia/bumper, not some aftermarket imitation.

Bill and I may not succeed but believe it's worth a serious attempt. After all, consider what wk057 has managed to accomplish on things that Tesla and nearly everyone said couldn't be done. In comparison this is child's play.

Hello Artsci.
You have an amazing car.
I am about to get TESLA too. I just want to ask you, how does swapping an old bumper for a new one ended?
I am getting bumper for 300 Eur. Aftermarket will could cost 3-4000 $ to get to Europe and few months of shipping.