Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it possible to upgrade a 75d to a larger battery when It's time to replace it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a 2018 75D I'm interested in- it's got better range than some of the model 3s I've been looking at- anyone know if in however many years when I need a battery replacement if I can buy a longer range battery? or will they only allow me to stay with the same range initially purchased?

check out the website by a fellow forum member @wk057

057tech.com
Thanks!
Not sure. But I don’t think you’d want to pay ~$13k or however expensive it is for a brand new pack. If your 75 is working fine just stick with it. Having the pack fail under warranty and getting a range upgrade then is more worth.
I am still shopping around for a used model s / model 3 within my budget. I found one that I'm really interested in - but wanted to know if when the battery fails, if upgrade was an option. for a daily driver, I don't need it now- but if its on the table later- id like to take advantage.

Reactions: jhuang
Has the OP owned a Tesla in the past? If not, they have a lot to learn for me to feel comfortable suggesting the idea of buying one. First off, as far as displayed range goes there's the EPA "Rated" (which is typically 5-20% overstated for folks who drive over 70mph) and then there's "Ideal" (no one seems to understand why ideal even exists, but I assume it's the optimized range when driving a constant 40-45mph). Many private sellers and used car dealers will switch the display setting to "ideal" to overstate the range. So you'll want to make sure you're comparing the two vehicles under the same setting.

Secondly, a warranty from Tesla can be worth a whole lot. I bought our 11/13 S85 just shy of 60K miles and had about $10K of warranty work done before 2yrs of ownership which included:
  • drive unit
  • tpms retrofit
  • rear windshield defroster
  • HV contactors
  • pyro fuse
  • HVAC drain hose retrofit
Overall I'm happy with my car even though Supercharging from 20-80% SOC takes twice as long thanks to a crippling software update which I believe was done in the name of safety but I have no proof other than a correlation of events. When I bought the car, I was prepared to drop up to $30K in future upgrades (battery) in hopes that the car will stay on the road for at least another 8-15 years. Since then several design flaws have been discovered; some addressed and others not. I bring this up because it's all part of the "early adopter" experience where Tesla is learning things as we are using the vehicles. If you don't mind setting aside some funds for potential future repairs then yes, there are ways to upgrade the original battery pack. But there are several folks who refuse to own these cars outside of the warranty period.

What's worse is that some sellers might be concealing cars with known battery issues by paying for defeat devices, so you might want to do some research on that too.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrisbaneB
Has the OP owned a Tesla in the past? If not, they have a lot to learn for me to feel comfortable suggesting the idea of buying one. First off, as far as displayed range goes there's the EPA "Rated" (which is typically 5-20% overstated for folks who drive over 70mph) and then there's "Ideal" (no one seems to understand why ideal even exists, but I assume it's the optimized range when driving a constant 40-45mph). Many private sellers and used car dealers will switch the display setting to "ideal" to overstate the range. So you'll want to make sure you're comparing the two vehicles under the same setting.

Secondly, a warranty from Tesla can be worth a whole lot. I bought our 11/13 S85 just shy of 60K miles and had about $10K of warranty work done before 2yrs of ownership which included:
  • drive unit
  • tpms retrofit
  • rear windshield defroster
  • HV contactors
  • pyro fuse
  • HVAC drain hose retrofit
Overall I'm happy with my car even though Supercharging from 20-80% SOC takes twice as long thanks to a crippling software update which I believe was done in the name of safety but I have no proof other than a correlation of events. When I bought the car, I was prepared to drop up to $30K in future upgrades (battery) in hopes that the car will stay on the road for at least another 8-15 years. Since then several design flaws have been discovered; some addressed and others not. I bring this up because it's all part of the "early adopter" experience where Tesla is learning things as we are using the vehicles. If you don't mind setting aside some funds for potential future repairs then yes, there are ways to upgrade the original battery pack. But there are several folks who refuse to own these cars outside of the warranty period.

What's worse is that some sellers might be concealing cars with known battery issues by paying for defeat devices, so you might want to do some research on that too.
Thanks for all this info! I have never owned a Tesla before. My only experience has been as a passenger in my Sister's model S and in rental model 3s.
Am I understanding what you're saying : "....
they have a lot to learn for me to feel comfortable suggesting the idea of buying one."

Means you don't recommend a Tesla? or just a 75 D / 85 D?

If I can be completely transparent, I an eager to buy a Tesla, but I keep going back and forth between a Model S and a Model 3.
My husband is a very tall man and the Model 3 is uncomfortable for him, but a brand new Model S is unachievable for us. Looking at older 2016 75 / 85s is attractive because they are more affordable but have the same legroom / headroom as a 90 and 100.

Like you, I know repairs will be costly, but I also plan to keep the car for at least another 10-15 years.

Are you saying there are certain years to avoid or that the idea of buying a lower end S and replacing the battery in the future is not recommended?

The reality of 75/85/90 is that they are converging to the same available capacity right now. The main difference is that the 85 is the slowest to supercharge, 75 in the second place from what others have reported and 90 should be the fastest.
If both charging speed and capacity (range) are important, 100 is the answer.

Thanks for all this info! I have never owned a Tesla before. My only experience has been as a passenger in my Sister's model S and in rental model 3s.
Am I understanding what you're saying : "....

Means you don't recommend a Tesla? or just a 75 D / 85 D?

If I can be completely transparent, I an eager to buy a Tesla, but I keep going back and forth between a Model S and a Model 3.
My husband is a very tall man and the Model 3 is uncomfortable for him, but a brand new Model S is unachievable for us. Looking at older 2016 75 / 85s is attractive because they are more affordable but have the same legroom / headroom as a 90 and 100.

Like you, I know repairs will be costly, but I also plan to keep the car for at least another 10-15 years.

Are you saying there are certain years to avoid or that the idea of buying a lower end S and replacing the battery in the future is not recommended?
Take what @maximizese is saying with a grain of salt. Especially the line; Has the OP owned a Tesla in the past? If not, they have a lot to learn for me to feel comfortable suggesting the idea of buying one.

Tesla is a car, just like any car, some will break, others will go on forever without any incidents. As far as this whole EPA range fiasco. Gas vehicles get EPA ranges that are based on perfect conditions under 60mph with no wind as well. So yes, Tesla has overestimated ranges that no one can realistically expect. But, a lot of gas vehicles out there also have overestimated ranges as well. Unfortunately Elon has drawn a lot of attention to Tesla for his antics. So anytime something sounds afoul with Tesla, news groups will jump on it. Similar to how whenever a Tesla catches on fire or gets in to an accident it’s front page news. But when that Honda Civic catches fire, no one cares.
If you’re going to buy a used Model S, definitely look at third party warranty coverage, such as Xcelerate. My 2019 75D just went out of warranty in March, picked up a 4 year extended warranty for about the cost of an MCU replacement. Don’t worry about owning a Tesla. They are far from the best company, or even a good company…but they make a good product.

The reality of 75/85/90 is that they are converging to the same available capacity right now. The main difference is that the 85 is the slowest to supercharge, 75 in the second place from what others have reported and 90 should be the fastest.
If both charging speed and capacity (range) are important, 100 is the answer.
what is considered slow? If I'm at a 250kw super charger - it should be pretty fast no matter what trim I have right? Or am I wrong in that it's not just the capacity of the battery but also how quickly the energy is processed?

We have a 2014 Model S, which have had for 3 years with no major issues. It is now out of warranty and a battery or drive unit would be very expensive. However, to date (and I don't want to tempt fate) the ownership experience has been easy. Whilst it has had to go to a Tesla service centre a few times, they have not been super expensive.
It is a gamble owning an expensive car out of warranty and it may or not work for you (or for me for that matter). I am also tall (and wide) and could not get comfy in a 3. In my opinion the S is the nicer car (I know subjective), but for the same purchase cost we are buying older technology, hence the similar cost (in the UK at least) for an older S and an older 3.
I was talking to a service centre tech yesterday whilst he changed a door handle. I specifically asked him about early Model S batteries and drive motors. He basically said, they had hardly any problems. Reading this forum may suggest otherwise, but that did give me a bit of comfort.

what is considered slow? If I'm at a 250kw super charger - it should be pretty fast no matter what trim I have right? Or am I wrong in that it's not just the capacity of the battery but also how quickly the energy is processed?
The charge rate is limited by the car model , battery type, and the car age. The fastest my 2017 S100D will charge is 140kw.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod