Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it really this hard to tint a tesla windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first time there was a huge slice, I could see they just scratched it.

Now the second and third time there is simply debris under the tint.

They claim the windshield is such an odd shape that it is hard to do...It just does not make sense to me and sounds more of a quality control and cleanliness issue

It is. It takes patience to shrink the film down to the curvature of the glass then a 2-person job to lay it down inside the car. Not to mention properly plugging the bottom to make sure the excess water doesn't flood any electrical systems. Shops in Cali are charging up to $500 JUST for the windshield. There is no substitute for experience. Plus, you don't want any water damage under the dash that Tesla will deem not covered under warranty. For that very reason, I opted not to tint my windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
I had to get mine redone because there was a huge piece of hair in my eyesight while driving, plus the area around the rear view mirror were very sloppily cut. The redo was much better though. I think as long as the shop has experience with Teslas you should be fine.

My shop (Corsa Motorsport in Huntington Beach) charged $400 just for the windshield with Rayno Air 7090 film. They said it’s hard, but not much harder than any other modern car with a sloped windshield.

BTW: You can’t tell there’s film on mine (other than the dramatic reduction in heat). Whenever I tell someone that there’s tint, they don’t believe me at first haha!! Very clean install.

On every car I have ever owner, I do a full 50 or 75% windshield tint.

My tinter just attempted his 3rd try and finally gave up and claims its the hardest windshield to do.

Has anyone else had this done? I don't see why they cant do it?
Well I had my Model X done - the Y should be a piece of cake compared to the X windshield. Find a place that advertises they do the Model X. I had 80 or 90 put on it - mostly to block the UV rays and heat. 50 I suggest would be way too dark for a windshield.