Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it rude to ask?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
I pulled up in a Pub car park (Loughborough Harvester) to charge my car before tomorrow (no home charging for me unfortunately). A lady with an E golf was already plugged in and the charge was at 95% and was then full within a few mins. I popped in to ask the staff "kindly" if the person who is charging could free up the CCS. They asked the lady who is now in a full blown meal and told me I have to wait while they finish there meal! Is this a fair situation?

Just wondered on the charging etiquette regards these chargers at pubs etc

Is this a fair situation?
We are going to get this more and more until charge point installation catches up with EV deliveries (Well, Model 3s at least).

So I would move. I think all EV drivers need to cut each other some slack. We will have enough to contend with ICE cars parking at charge points. So for now, there will be some additional inconvenience which we can all help each other to reduce where possible.

I think it’s ok to ask but I think it's ok for the other driver to say no until after they have finished their dinner. I would have asked could they kindly move it when they have finished their dinner and if they choose to interrupt their dinner, it’s a bonus for you. You could have sat and had a drink and waited until they finished.
I agree. I think how someone else reacts can depend how how they are asked. If it comes across as asking them to interrupt what they're doing (in the middle of a meal) in order to comply with your request, they may think you're acting all high-and-mighty and that others should be at your beck and call. If, on the other hand, the request is to have them comply with your request when it's convenient for them, they may take more kindly to that and may even go the extra step and do it right away. I know I would if that's how I were asked.

Reactions: Blueskye
Luckily I did not ask the lady but the staff member who was the one that asked, and at the time I did not realise she was fully into her meal. I only did i after when the staff member told me.

I was more than happy to wait.

People that usually charge here are drinking (soft drinks I hope) while charging.

Just a pain that Leicester is not up to speed with a few rapids. Just needed a 20mim top-up to get me home and back to work early the next day.

Luckily I did not ask the lady but the staff member who was the one that asked, and at the time I did not realise she was fully into her meal. I only did i after when the staff member told me.

I was more than happy to wait.

People that usually charge here are drinking (soft drinks I hope) while charging.

Just a pain that Leicester is not up to speed with a few rapids. Just needed a 20mim top-up to get me home and back to work early the next day.

why not install home charger? I’m doing 20-30 miles, I only use 3 pin, enough for me.

You could apply to the council to install a charge point in the base of a lamp post if you have one near your house. Otherwise very brave to buy quite an expensive EV with no means of charging at home. I think infrastructure is lagging behind, at least we have Superchargers.

Leicester is doing a lamp post trial but I was too late to the party and all applicants were chosen last year. No charger at home but do have 3 at work so they are my main ones. It's not bad once you get into it. If I need a full charge for Monday I can park in town on the Sunday for £1 all day with free charging and the walk does me good and at least I can say that EV's keep me fit! If I do charge at home with the UMC I have 2 cones and a cable cover, but I still am mindful of people walking over it and try not to have it out to long.

It's getting past the mindset of "you need a home charger or it won't work" and diving in and having a plan for your needs. Also a backup if the first plan fails!

Yes would love a 7kw charger, and may do in the future but at the moment I seem to be coping.

Nearly 13k miles in and still loving it :)