Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it true? Only official tow hitch can have Tow Mode for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure you need to have the software installed/enabled for tow mode. If you buy a tow system that isn't Tesla's, it doesn't surprise me that there wouldn't be tow mode available. From previous posts if I'm remembering correctly, Tesla won't enable tow mode on a tow system they didn't install for "liability reasons".

At least, this is what I gather from most posts, I could be 100% incorrect on this... I haven't gotten a tow system yet, but I do plan on just buying Tesla's when/if I do, that way there's a warranty.

I think you need to pay for the Tesla hitch to get the tow mode software. I did and had the hitch installed at the service center. They forgot to install tow mode and I had to make another visit when I realized I didn't have the tow mode...Doesn't seem like something they would just install for you without the purchase...

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom
Pretty sure you need to have the software installed/enabled for tow mode. If you buy a tow system that isn't Tesla's, it doesn't surprise me that there wouldn't be tow mode available. From previous posts if I'm remembering correctly, Tesla won't enable tow mode on a tow system they didn't install for "liability reasons".

At least, this is what I gather from most posts, I could be 100% incorrect on this... I haven't gotten a tow system yet, but I do plan on just buying Tesla's when/if I do, that way there's a warranty.
Pretty much why I went with the official version. I've put trailer hitches on every vehicle I've owned that didn't already come with one, so I'm comfortable with the work. But the warranty and official software will be good because I plan to do a lot more towing now..

I wouldn’t stress over tow mode:

“…Tesla vehicles are still capable of towing without it, the software update makes it safer by disabling Autosteer and automatic steering interventions, lowering automatic emergency braking force, and increasing the follow distance on automatic cruise control.”

But the warranty

FYI: Installation of 3rd party products does not impact the warranty.

magnuson-moss warranty act:

“Consumers are protected under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. It allows aftermarket parts to be installed without warranty issues unless the install or part caused a problem. But the simple act of installing a hitch or other aftermarket part does not void the warranty.”

Reactions: gtae07
FYI: Installation of 3rd party products does not impact the warranty.

magnuson-moss warranty act:

“Consumers are protected under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. It allows aftermarket parts to be installed without warranty issues unless the install or part caused a problem. But the simple act of installing a hitch or other aftermarket part does not void the warranty.”
I'm familiar with that one; my thinking was more the wiring side.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I wouldn’t stress over tow mode:

“…Tesla vehicles are still capable of towing without it, the software update makes it safer by disabling Autosteer and automatic steering interventions, lowering automatic emergency braking force, and increasing the follow distance on automatic cruise control.”
I thought one of the biggest benefits from a sanity point of view was that tow mode does away with rear bumper sensor messages and alarms when you have something like a bike rack and/or bike(s) on the back of the car...Without the tow mode enabled, I read that the car throws lots of alarms when it senses the rack and/or bikes. I haven't tried it myself, just read it...

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
I think you need to pay for the Tesla hitch to get the tow mode software. I did and had the hitch installed at the service center. They forgot to install tow mode and I had to make another visit when I realized I didn't have the tow mode...Doesn't seem like something they would just install for you without the purchase...
What’s charging at a supercharger like when towing? Do you have to disconnect your trailer then back the car in? Also, how much did it cost you to have towing installed at the dealer if you don’t mind me asking?

Well, I ordered an OEM Tesla Y tow bar from Ebay. Looks like it is not nearly as easy as the installation on my Chevy Bolt, but not terribly hard... I need the Tesla tow setup because the Bolt is not suitable for cross country towing. If anyone was wondering, the Bolt is great for a max of 2000 lb of local towing :)

Keith

What’s charging at a supercharger like when towing? Do you have to disconnect your trailer then back the car in? Also, how much did it cost you to have towing installed at the dealer if you don’t mind me asking?
Pull-in stalls at Superchargers that are designed for vehicles that are towing are very few and far between. Some sites may have one stall that is set up that way, but most don't. The option you have, absent that, is to either disconnect the trailer and pull in like a regular vehicle, or find a time when the stations are not being used and pull in sideways for a charge with your trailer attached. There are different opinions on this, but my opinion is that I think you're fine as long as you are not impeding someone else from charging (and you must stay right there to monitor your charging and the possibility that someone else might come along that also needs to charge where you're blocking). As soon as that happens and they need access to a charging space, then you need to disconnect and pull away out of respect for those other drivers.

The Tesla tow package for the Model Y is $1,000 when ordered with a new car from the Tesla website or $1,300 from their online store after the car is delivered and that includes the hitch, the installation and the tow mode software...

Reactions: bubohoot