Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it true that all new cars are delivered with 48A chargers, no other option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
n
i had dual chargers in my 2012 S85 and installed a 100 amp breaker for my HPWC to charge at 80A five years ago. When I bought my late 2016 S90D I went for the single charger. Never do I miss dual chargers, so don’t sweat it IMO.
Easy for you to say since you're not in his situation. I've had to drive around all day then get ready to leave and drive across town again so a high amp charger would have been helpful.

Reactions: Muzzman1
You might be able to add a paired charger to your new order as an off menu item. There are a few. Have to call Tesla and find out.
FYI, there are no more paired chargers. My 2 previous MS's had paired units, but all delivered post refresh (roughly) are all single units with either 48A or 72A.
I am not ordering any time soon, I'm just looking ahead. I probably won't get a new MS until FSD is out, so it might be a few yrs.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
While 70+ amp may be advantageous at times, overall, the percentage of time is very small.
To start with, very few homes have the capacity to install a 100A breaker.
And with the average commute allowing you to just about go an entire week without charging, the number of uses is just really small.

You are really demonstrating why Superchargers are needed.

Bit flexibility and capability is great and it would be a nice feature, but it is far from "nuts" not to have it.

I think I could have used a higher than 48A L2 charging level 3 times in the last 2 years and 55K miles. I NEEDED it zero times.
Yeah, I suspect this is the most common sentiment, but we have 2 100A circuits in our garage feeding 2 HPWC's, so the thirst for fast charging at home is high for us.
I do consulting, so there has been a few occasions where having 80A's was priceless.
Plus back in the day when no one in the public had a clue about Tesla, they were really impressed when I told them I can charge the car at 1 mile/min at home. At the time there were very few superchargers.
Now, here in the LA area, we have 4-5 superchargers within a 30min drive from us, although usually saturated, I guess if I didn't have fast charging at home I could probably spend the same amount of time at a local supercharger in a pinch.

While 70+ amp may be advantageous at times, overall, the percentage of time is very small.
To start with, very few homes have the capacity to install a 100A breaker.
And with the average commute allowing you to just about go an entire week without charging, the number of uses is just really small.

You are really demonstrating why Superchargers are needed.

Bit flexibility and capability is great and it would be a nice feature, but it is far from "nuts" not to have it.

Super chargers have no relation to home charging. For most everyone Superchargers are used for road tripping.

I've charged at 80A several times:
  • I often drive 70 miles each way to meet friends for lunch. The local municipal garage near our favorite restaurant has 2 free 80A Clipper Creek units that will more then replace the power used to get there while we eat. Handy, but not necessary (I have enough range for the round trip, and there's a SC there if I didn't).
  • I occasionally drive 120 miles each way to meet a friend for dinner. There's a publicly-available pair of HPWC's sharing a 100A breaker I use while we eat. It saves me a SC/nap on the trip home (again, not necessary, but nice to have).
very few homes have the capacity to install a 100A breaker.
I suspect it's more than you think. If you have >=200A service, you can probably dedicate 100A to charging unless you have 5000 ft^2 with central A/C. But then you should have gone with 400A service! My house ran fine on 100A service for years (electric dryer and range, oil heat and HW, no A/C). I upgraded to 200A service to get more power for charging and upgrade a full panel (more breakers needed for renovation plans).

Really? Countless?

I can think of one or two situations where it would have been nice, none that I could quantify as "need" with a straight face. I'm sure the use case exists, but it's so far in the margins I don't blame Tesla for simplifying on this front.
My drives are not predictable. I can think of 30 times in the last 5 years where 80A was a necessity, so I guess it's not "countless", but for me I paid for the 2nd charger, installation of the HPWC at 100A 4-5 times during those 30 times. Apologies for the hyperbole.

As far as I know, the 100 pack cars still come with 72 Amp chargers as they have for over a year. Anyone got real evidence they don’t?

And we have two HPWCs sharing a 100 Amp (80 Amp charging max) circuit so either car can charge at the max if needed but is sufficient for normal topping off daily. Seems like the best compromise.

You mean other than direct from Tesla?

Onboard Charger
Dayum..... Thanks for the link, lol. Guess my '2017' 100D is even more special since it has the 72.

I know they want to simplify things, but this seems like too much. If you ever need to head out quickly after a long day, 'refilling' a 100 was the point of the 72 A charger. And especially at a destination charger, where you don't want to hog it in case someone else is waiting for the one charger a B&B (whatever) may have.

<sigh> One more example of no options... wonder if it will ever swing back when things settle down?

i had dual chargers in my 2012 S85 and installed a 100 amp breaker for my HPWC to charge at 80A five years ago.
Every vehicle I've had since the Sig has been limited to 48A. There occasions at home where I miss the extra amperage are very few (and very "first world problems").

On the road (and track) OTOH, there are times when the extra amperage in the vehicle would be nice.

This makes the wall charger much less desirable when the charger does 40A

Well I just remembered they cut the charger down to 32A, so people will still need the wall charger if they want to go above that. But either way the jump from 32-48 is much less than 32/40 to 72/80

This makes the wall charger much less desirable when the charger does 40A

Well I just remembered they cut the charger down to 32A, so people will still need the wall charger if they want to go above that. But either way the jump from 32-48 is much less than 32/40 to 72/80
No, only the Model 3 midrange has a 32A charger (as will the short range when it ever gets built). The Model 3 long range has 48A charger and all Model S and X have 48A Charger.

Reactions: dhrivnak