Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it worth it to Ceramic Pro coat a preowned car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone that's purchased a CPO or a preowned Tesla, is it worth it to get it coated?

I just purchased a blue 2013, and the car still looks great however I'd like to get rid of the swirls. And there are minor paint chips from highway driving and I'd like to get those touched up and coated. I feel like the coat will make the car look like it's freshly painted after the touch ups.

Has anyone done this?

I've always used touchless car washes or washed my 2014 FJ by hand. It's white so it's tough to tell, but there is minimal swirls.

I have a 2 year old Tesla and I had Opticoat Pro Plus installed when new. IMHO it's not worth it in your situation. If you're concerned, just have a regular detailing / polish done on the paint. I wouldn't say that the ceramic coating made the car any more shiny than a regular wax/sealant (my opinion). The benefit of the ceramic coating is that less things stick to the car so it makes the car easier to clean. But that coating wears off within a year providing less benefit in the long run.

I tend to agree with InternetDude, depending on price. My detail guy occasionally runs specials and did my Corvette for 300. At that price it's a bargain. It makes it really easy to clean and acts like a two year wax. A good buff on the car and a ceramic coating if the price is reasonable would not be a bad thing.

Well, if you got your coating for $300, it may have only been 1 coat, and may not have been adequately prepped.? You need to get at least 2 or 3 coats to make it last (some will put up to 10 coats), and it should be refreshed every year. My detailer did the 5 year warranty version (3 coats) and will renew it every year for free.

Then again, I am only 1 month in, so I guess I will report back in another 11 months ;-)

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I debated this with my CPO, and have decided to just leave it. Of course I inherited a full wrap from the prior owner that Tesla only removed from the frunk. I was going to get the frunk re-done, but then during my first hand wash noticed some severe swirls and a small chip on the frunk lid. So now I would be looking at paint correction plus wrap costs.

Figured, ah well, it's got 40k miles on it. I am probably going to trade it in on a 3 once the P models are available and at that point (closer to 100k miles) having perfect paint will not be any sort of value enhancer. I am not OCD enough to worry about a few chips at this point.

Figured, ah well, it's got 40k miles on it. I am probably going to trade it in on a 3 once the P models are available and at that point (closer to 100k miles) having perfect paint will not be any sort of value enhancer. I am not OCD enough to worry about a few chips at this point.

There are only two reasons I coat or wrap a car
1) I know I'll be selling it with fairly low mileage and need the paint pristine
2) It's a weekend "perfect condition" car

I tend to keep my daily drivers until they're in the 80-100K miles range. At that point, most potential buyers care more about service records than minor paint chips.

Now, all of my cars get regular detailing/waxed and yearly paint touchups. I just don't go OCD with wraps and coats on daily drivers that I plan to keep as long as feasible.

To be honest, I smile when I see well maintained but well used Teslas at superchargers. It shows that these EVs are capable of being driven just as hard ICE cars without having to be treated like delicate flowers. Obviously this is just me and others will feel differently. There's nothing at all wrong with that. Some people get a Tesla as their dream car and want to keep it pristine. Others, like myself, get a Tesla because it's a damn good car and drive the hell out of it.

Well, if you got your coating for $300, it may have only been 1 coat, and may not have been adequately prepped.? You need to get at least 2 or 3 coats to make it last (some will put up to 10 coats), and it should be refreshed every year. My detailer did the 5 year warranty version (3 coats) and will renew it every year for free.

Then again, I am only 1 month in, so I guess I will report back in another 11 months ;-)

Maybe it was only one coat. I'm at my one year now and water still beads up like crazy. Daily driven with 16k miles. Never have waxed the car. I also know that some places charge way too much for it, especially in certain regions.